too low of gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

water4girl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
i graduated in may from a good school with a business degree. I now know that i would like to enter med school. I am currently applying to post bac programs. But with a undergrad gpa of 2.7 and a post bac gpa of 3.6 and a high mcat even though i have not taken it...is that still to low to go to med school. I really feel this is my path but i am daunted by the requirments, i may or may not have. Especailly bc someone told me i would not get in with that low of gpa no matter if my post bac was high or not .. Any advice would be appreicated.

Members don't see this ad.

Many people have been accepted with low undergrad GPAs but have made up for it somehow with great postbac or graduate GPAs (more weight on postbac GPA though).

So, you have a good chance if everything else is good. (I have a 2.97, 3.92 grad GPA, 34 MCAT and had my first interview last week...so anything is possible.)

yeah-- don't let your low GPA keep you from applying. I have an undergrad 3.1 (strong upward trend, bio major), a 4.0 post-bacc, and 32 MCAT. I had my first interview 2 weeks ago. Just make sure you have good ECs and LORs, and don't ever let anyone tell you that you don't have a chance.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiousity, dpark and Sweet Tea, where are you getting interviews from? Any particular schools you're shooting for?

My state school (UIC)...as far as schools I'm shooting for: ? Many schools are great regardless of rankings, I would be ecstatic if UIC accepted me.

A low GPA by itself should not dissuade you from applying to medical school. That being said, you should shoot for much higher than a 3.6 in your post-bacc program. Most medical schools are somewhat forgiving of a few rough patches in undergrad as you get adjusted. However, as a post-bacc student they expect that you know exactly what you want to do and have everything together to achieve that goal. Consequently, since all your classes will be pre-medical related, you should shoot for a 4.0 so that if you fall a little short you'll still be competitive. There are clearly exceptions to this, but by and large medical school expect you to do very well in your post-bacc classes to show that you belong and your goals should reflect that; a stellar post-bacc record combined with a good MCAT shows medical schools that despite what happened in the past, the person you are is ready to do well in medical school.

water4girl,
Don't let anyone discourage you from chasing your dream!
If you are willing to make those sacrifices and work hard to get into medschool, you will be able to do it. There are plenty of people who don't have a steller undergrad record and still get into medical school. You have a decent shot at getting into a school if you get a good MCAT score and have solid ECs. Good luck.

Originally posted by tbo
Out of curiousity, dpark and Sweet Tea, where are you getting interviews from? Any particular schools you're shooting for?

I interviewed at ECU, which only accepts NC residents. Fortunately, I live in NC. :D

water4girl,

give it your best shot and apply...you'll never know what happens. Use wisdom when choosing schools in orer to maximize your chances of getting in.....If that doesnt work, back to the drawing board..I know you'll make it, though! :)