Too many 4.0 (38 MCat) Snobs on Mdapplicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've got a 4.18 gpa and I don't flaunt it. I could give a **** what anyone thinks about me (unless your part of an admissions committee). Anyways, most people who don't care about medicine and don't do so well feel intimidated by my gpa. I work my ass off for every mark I get, and that's that. If you want to ask me what my gpa and how I did on a test I'll tell you, but if I did better than you I don't feel sorry. I know geniuses with 2.0 gpas and *******es with high gpas (me). Don't read to much into a number.

I don't think that the postings are snotty...people are just posting their stats. I'm more discouraged and disheartened than anything else when I see superstar numbers, because I feel like I won't be accepted to many of the medical schools that I applied to. Truth being told, I was rejected by a lot of medical schools, but not by numbers alone because mine were higher than a lot of the averages of the schools that I applied to. As noted before, the SDN/mdapplicant population tends to be skewed toward the super on-top-of-things applicants and that the real numbers of the applicants are a lot lower...standardized for normalcy and all that good stuff. +pissed+

Members don't see this ad :)
finnpipette has it right. All we are seeing is one person with one set of numbers. There is a girl from my University who posted on there with a 3.89 GPA and a 36 on the MCAT. She got one acceptance. It's pretty obvious that despite her great scores she must be a social miscreant. ;)

Originally posted by smuwillobrien
finnpipette has it right. All we are seeing is one person with one set of numbers. There is a girl from my University who posted on there with a 3.89 GPA and a 36 on the MCAT. She got one acceptance. It's pretty obvious that despite her great scores she must be a social miscreant. ;)

Wow. I'm constantly surprised by the harshness of some of the people on this message board. Just because someone has 1 acceptance and not a handfull, she must be a "social miscreant"? Even with the ;) I don't get it. It's not a very funny joke (if that's what this is supposed to be) and there are many factors involved in applying to medical school. People who seemingly have nothing wrong with their applications and interviews still get turned down because there are only so many spots per year. It doesn't mean that there must be something wrong wtih the person. You're a very good applicant if you can hold 5+ acceptances at once but it doesn't seem very nice to attack someone's character just because she couldn't get as many acceptances as you.

Some of these posts have been pretty quick to stereotype people with high academic credentials. It may be true that many "booksmart" individuals are somewhat introverted, but that doesn't mean that they are antisocial or would make bad doctors. Some people are both academically successful and still live normal lives, have good communication skills, and are "street smart." Imagine that! I think it's time to stop stereotyping and start judging individuals as individuals.

More acceptances than me? I haven't even written the MCAT. I'm still in my first year. I was just joking about her being a 'social miscreant'. I apologize if you found it offensive. It wasn't meant to be.

More acceptances than me? I haven't even written the MCAT. I'm still in my first year. I was just joking about her being a 'social miscreant'. I apologize if you found it offensive. It wasn't meant to be.

Sorry about the mistake but I thought that someone who would have written something like that must be holding a bunch of acceptances and consequently think getting multiple acceptances is something that any psychologically normal person with high numbers ought to be able to do. Sorry if I was too sensitive and jumped the gun but I applied this year for the first time and (I don't know how everyone else feels) I think the process is extremely difficult and random. Getting 1 acceptance is an accomplishment in itself and doesn't deserve derision.

What is the point of this thread? It doesn't seem to be very constructive.

Hey MrTee. That's a good way to classify pretty much every thread on this forum. :)

Wow, I guess its OK to make fun of people with high stats with 1 acceptance, I guess making fun of people with low stats and no acceptances is even cooler? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ZekeMD
To add to this.... I take everything I read on MDapplicants with a grain of salt. I could easily post that I have a 4.0, 45T mcat, I've donated all my organs to those in need of transplants, cured AIDS, won the noble prize, and of course with these stats I would have applied to all top 10 schools, been accepted, and offered full tuition scholarships. Go me! But seriously...who's going to believe this crap...

I don't. :)

And I delete them - from both the high-end and the low-end of the believablity spectrum (which isn't to say i don't miss them from time-to-time, but I have deleted over 200 fake-looking profiles already).

I went to this Dean panel the other night, with Deans of admissions from Wake and Duke...They said that they reject people with 4.0's and perfect MCAT scores...I ddn't really believe them though bec. of this board. Also, they said in the interview, they will ask questions about art (Manet anyone?), books, and museums. Hmmm.. I don't know..Looks like they are just scaring premeds.