Too many activities! Need help narrowing/Shortening...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The title says it all. I have too many activities for the W/A section and need help narrowing it down/shortening descriptions to get everything less than 300 characters. I have already consoloidated everything (43 Items, almost all of which are significant, compressed in to 14 categories) While 2 of my categories can be eliminated (Hobbies and Leadership not mentioned elsewhere) I need help with breaking down the large categories...

TL;DR: Would anyone mind reviewing my W/A section to provide feedback and help me cut it down?

TYIA

Members don't see this ad.

It seems unlikely (dare I say impossible) for anyone to have 43 truly significant activities while being a full time student or full time employee. More is definitely not merrier. It's much better to demonstrate deep, consistent involvement with a few pursuits than spit out 50 random things you did once. I'd try to go back and seriously reevaluate all your accomplishments and select the ones you think express your passions and personality the best.

Maybe try consolidating your most important activities by organization instead? (example: A section called "Red Cross" that talks about all the leadership roles you had and all the projects you led).

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems unlikely (dare I say impossible) for anyone to have 43 truly significant activities while being a full time student or full time employee. More is definitely not merrier. It's much better to demonstrate deep, consistent involvement with a few pursuits than spit out 50 random things you did once. I'd try to go back and seriously reevaluate all your accomplishments and select the ones you think express your passions and personality the best.

Maybe try consolidating your most important activities by organization instead? (example: A section called "Red Cross" that talks about all the leadership roles you had and all the projects you led).

Best of luck![/QUOTE/] I have broken my military section down in to three separate activities - Military clinical, military non-clinical, Military Awards/decorations/recognitions. Then I have Civilian sections: Non-clinical employment, Clinical employment, Civilian awards/decorations/recognitions/certificates. Then I have student things: research, publications, leadership not mentioned elsewhere (Additionally, clinical research at my place of employment). Then I have both volunteering clinical and non-clinical. I also have teaching (military and civilian that I can condense in to one). Shadowing and hobbies are the last two sections.

I am having difficulty deciding what to get rid of. This is after I have already reduced all of what I can think of, as there is more. Would you mind taking a look at the activities section I have produced and helping me reduce it?

I have broken my military section down in to three separate activities - Military clinical, military non-clinical, Military Awards/decorations/recognitions. Then I have Civilian sections: Non-clinical employment, Clinical employment, Civilian awards/decorations/recognitions/certificates. Then I have student things: research, publications, leadership not mentioned elsewhere (Additionally, clinical research at my place of employment). Then I have both volunteering clinical and non-clinical. I also have teaching (military and civilian that I can condense in to one). Shadowing and hobbies are the last two sections.

I am having difficulty deciding what to get rid of. This is after I have already reduced all of what I can think of, as there is more. Would you mind taking a look at the activities section I have produced and helping me reduce it?

I have broken my military section down in to three separate activities - Military clinical, military non-clinical, Military Awards/decorations/recognitions. Then I have Civilian sections: Non-clinical employment, Clinical employment, Civilian awards/decorations/recognitions/certificates. Then I have student things: research, publications, leadership not mentioned elsewhere (Additionally, clinical research at my place of employment). Then I have both volunteering clinical and non-clinical. I also have teaching (military and civilian that I can condense in to one). Shadowing and hobbies are the last two sections.

Sure thing! I think the categories you mentioned are pretty good, maybe consider combining your military and civilian awards into one category, and combining research and publications into the same group as well. At the end of the day most people find themselves having to leave something out. You won't be able to get in more than a sentence or two to describe each activity. That's why it's super important to evaluate yourself critically, prioritize, and choose the three activities you get to elaborate on carefully! Anything you can't get in on your AMCAS you can always incorporate into your personal statement, secondary essays, interviews, etc.

1. Non-Clinical Employment
2. Clinical Employment
3. Non-Clinical Volunteering
4. Clinical Volunteering
5. Research / Publications
6. Shadowing
7. Military
8. Teaching

Pick 1 or 2 activities from each of these categories to add up to the 15 activities or whatever AMCAS allows. If you have a few of these categories, like teaching or shadowing, that you can combine all your activities into 1, then you'll be able to throw 2 or 3 activities into the employment / volunteering / military categories that may be deemed more important. I 100% agree with Cassandra... it sounds a little ridiculous to have 43 "significant" activities that are all separate in addition to your education (unless you've taken several gap years, in which case narrow done by more recent). More short term activities does not look as impressive as a handful that you've stuck with for multiple semesters / years.

Other Leadership is probably overkill if you legitimately have all these activities that are significant. You can touch on your Hobbies category in most secondaries when they specifically ask for what you like to do. You should be able to touch on your awards, both civilian and military, during your descriptions of your volunteering / employment / military activities.

1. Non-Clinical Employment
2. Clinical Employment
3. Non-Clinical Volunteering
4. Clinical Volunteering
5. Research / Publications
6. Shadowing
7. Military
8. Teaching

Pick 1 or 2 activities from each of these categories to add up to the 15 activities or whatever AMCAS allows. If you have a few of these categories, like teaching or shadowing, that you can combine all your activities into 1, then you'll be able to throw 2 or 3 activities into the employment / volunteering / military categories that may be deemed more important. I 100% agree with Cassandra... it sounds a little ridiculous to have 43 "significant" activities that are all separate in addition to your education (unless you've taken several gap years, in which case narrow done by more recent). More short term activities does not look as impressive as a handful that you've stuck with for multiple semesters / years.

Other Leadership is probably overkill if you legitimately have all these activities that are significant. You can touch on your Hobbies category in most secondaries when they specifically ask for what you like to do. You should be able to touch on your awards, both civilian and military, during your descriptions of your volunteering / employment / military activities.
Righteous. Thank you both for the advise, I will work to reduce it by focusing on recent/condensing

Are you planning on listing all of your military awards? If so, I would recommend condensing it to only the most significant awards. I can't help but roll my eyes when I see GWOT and NDSM on someone's resume. And seeing that we've spent almost the last two decades at war, there's a very good chance that some AdCom members will feel the same way.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you planning on listing all of your military awards? If so, I would recommend condensing it to only the most significant awards. I can't help but roll my eyes when I see GWOT and NDSM on someone's resume. And seeing that we've spent almost the last two decades at war, there's a very good chance that some AdCom members will feel the same way.
Oh by no means, Just things like Army achievement medal and being Commandants list/distinguished honor grad at every military school I have gone to.

Oh by no means, Just things like Army achievement medal and being Commandants list/distinguished honor grad at every military school I have gone to.

No one will care. Leave that stuff out.

If you held a full-time job, the job/employer is one listing. Use the description to say what the job(s) involved even if it included teaching, etc. or included a promotion.
If you had a part-time job for more than 3 mos while in school, that might be worth listing.
No one really cares about honors and awards unless it was a national prize (one prize winner in the US per year) or a super-prestigious award such as Purple Heart or Jeopardy champion (not in any way equating the two but both are rather well known).

Don't overlook the benefit of using one of the 15 slots for hobby/advocation/athletics. Committees want to know what you do for fun.

Last edited:

If you held a full-time job, the job/employer is one listing. Use the description to say what the job)s_ involved even if it included teaching, etc. or included a promotion.
If you had a part-time job for more than 3 mos while in school, that might be worth listing.
No one really cares about honors and awards unless it was a national prize (one prize winner in the US per year) or a super-prestigious award such as Purple Heart or Jeopardy champion (not in any way equating the two but both are rather well known).

Don't overlook the benefit of using one of the 15 slots for hobby/advocation/athletics. Committees want to know what you do for fun.

Cool! But I guess not so cool since it means you can't cut any more from that section...
Nevermind; I defer to LizzyM

Thank you,

If you held a full-time job, the job/employer is one listing. Use the description to say what the job(s) involved even if it included teaching, etc. or included a promotion.

thank you @LizzyM. We don’t have any sort of Pre-MED advising network at my school to help determine what doesn’t matter. Do you know where (Maybe someone on SDN?) who would be able to take a look at my W/A section write up and help knock stuff off the list?

In the spring @Catalystik typically runs a thread for work/activities advice.