Too many interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfingoddess

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a lot more interviews that I thought I would (9 out of 12 so far), and now I feel a bit overloaded. Is there wisdom is declining interviews? I'd like to decline "safe" schools, but I feel like that's where I have the highest chance of receiving any sort of merit scholarship (and that's important to me because I won't receive any need-based scholarships, but my family is hardly rich). Thoughts?

Just in case it helps, below is some extra info about me

My stats:

PA resident
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 35 (but a 9 in verbal)
Letters of Recommendation: strong
Leadership: 2 years of tutoring university science courses
Research: 1 summer of clinical, 1 summer of bench
Volunteer: 280 hours in the hospital
Job Shadowing: Shadowed on 3 different occassions, each for a day
Extracurriculars: accomplishments at the state level in music, golf, and karate.

The Schools I Applied to:

Pitt - interview
Penn State - interview
Drexel - interview
Temple - interview
U Pennsylvania
Jefferson
U of Maryland - interview
Emory - interview
Vanderbilt - rejected
University of Virginia - interview
Rochester - interview
Brown
Dartmouth - interview
WashU in St Louis
Chicago - rejected
Northwestern
U of Michigan - rejected

Members don't see this ad.

I'm getting a lot more interviews that I thought I would (9 out of 12 so far), and now I feel a bit overloaded. Is there wisdom is declining interviews? I'd like to decline "safe" schools, but I feel like that's where I have the highest chance of receiving any sort of merit scholarship (and that's important to me because I won't receive any need-based scholarships, but my family is hardly rich). Thoughts?

If you receive an acceptance, then by all means decline interviews at schools lower on your list than the one(s) you've been accepted at. Don't decline any interviews until you've got an acceptance or two in your pocket- and only do it if you're certain you'd rather go to one of the ones you've been accepted at.

Reactions: 1 user
If you receive an acceptance, then by all means decline interviews at schools lower on your list than the one(s) you've been accepted at. Don't decline any interviews until you've got an acceptance or two in your pocket- and only do it if you're certain you'd rather go to one of the ones you've been accepted at.

Agreed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed and good advice. After 15 October those of us blessed with this problem can start managing. But the OP has a real problem, too many interview pushing up before 16 October.

Further half the schools I have II will not announce until March 2015. Pretty much obligated to do those. I am non trad, feel lucky to have too many interview, but how many will stick? Pushing highly ranked or interesting rolling admit schools to November seemed a bad idea or was not possible.

At the end of the day, great to have interviews and thrilled to have them but I think the answer to the OP is as it is for me, you just are going to have to run on fumes - practice for the real thing in 2015 guess.

Agreed and good advice. After 15 October those of us blessed with this problem can start managing. But the OP has a real problem, too many interview pushing up before 16 October.

Further half the schools I have II will not announce until March 2015. Pretty much obligated to do those. I am non trad, feel lucky to have too many interview, but how many will stick? Pushing highly ranked or interesting rolling admit schools to November seemed a bad idea or was not possible.

At the end of the day, great to have interviews and thrilled to have them but I think the answer to the OP is as it is for me, you just are going to have to run on fumes - practice for the real thing in 2015 guess.
OP is probably not stressed at all since they were probably accepted somewhere almost 4 years ago ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah it's so nice to see someone talking about pre-med problems years ago and seeing their status as resident or attending physician now. Looks like OP went to UVA.