SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Too many letters?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Maxwell Edison, May 12, 2008.

1. Maxwell Edison

Maxwell Edison Majoring In Medicine 2+ Year Member

May 9, 2007
    So the first time I applied to MD school, I solicited three letters from faculty: academic advisor (good letter), English teacher (good letter), neurophys. teacher (she didn't know me that well, I asked her because I needed a third letter and her class only had 10 students in it) That cycle ended up being a wash.

This time, I have a letter from a former PI (good letter) my current PI (good letter) and the clinic manager who runs a volunteer program I am involved with (good letter).

Question (I am using my undergrad. letter collection committee): do I ask the committee to toss the neurophys letter? I feel like I've got a lot of great letters and this one would stick out as being rather wishy-washy. That aside, six letters is a ****-ton of reccomendations, and I'm concerned that the good ones (clinic, current PI) will get overlooked with too many.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. TupacalipseT96

TupacalipseT96 R U Still Down? 7+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Many schools require two science professor letters from classes you took. PI's don't fall under this catagory. As I see it, you only have one (neurophys.) and are debating whether or not to even include that one. Am I missing something?