Too many LOI/updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkaglew

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a few weeks post interview at one of my top choices. Anyway, I sent in an update/interest letter around the new year. About a month later they asked for another letter expressing continued interest, so I sent it in as well. In that letter i mentioned that it was my top choice and if accepted i would withdraw all other apps.

So I haven't sent them a letter since Feb. I was thinking about sending them another letter of intent, but I don't want to be pushy. Any thoughts? I really want to attend this school, and I dont have any other acceptances (1 other WL).

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion: you'll regret what you don't do much more than what you do. People have different opinions on it, but I all for unabashedly making your interest known if the particular school seems receptive to it--and since this school actually asked you for a letter expressing continued interest, I think it's safe to say they are.

I would especially encourage you to be proactive since, as you mentioned, you haven't secured an acceptance yet. Since this is your first choice, I say pace it out (which you seem to be doing) but keep reminding them you want this. Based on what you've said, it sounds like there's a good chance they will appreciate this.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW...them asking you for a LOI?...weird. Just...weird.

Thanks for the responses, and yes I agree its weird

BTW...them asking you for a LOI?...weird. Just...weird.

Not so weird, schools do that sometimes to make sure the people they have in their interview pool/ on hold are still interested in the school. It could also help to differentiate between candidates.

If they asked you, I don't see the big deal.

I've already sent 2 letters of intent to my top choice and I will have a third one ready if I don't get in by May 15th. It can't hurt, worst case scenario is it ends up neutral. You are letting them know your clear intentions.

If they asked you, I don't see the big deal.

I've already sent 2 letters of intent to my top choice and I will have a third one ready if I don't get in by May 15th. It can't hurt, worst case scenario is it ends up neutral. You are letting them know your clear intentions.

Don't the letters get really redundant though? I would be worried that the adcom would feel like you are wasting their time when you've already made your intent to matriculate clear in the first letter. But I suppose the possible benefit outweighs this possible negative.