malamia

5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hello! I am filling out secondaries and realize now that some schools will only take 3-4 letters of evaluation and I sent my five to almost all schools without knowing this. Some schools let you know and choose on the secondary and others in AMCAS. Others don't.

Is this OK?

I know I'm covering all bases ( 2 sci, 1 non-sci, 1 PI, 1 MD) but it worries me that the fact that I didn't follow instructions will hurt me..

Thanks!

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I highly recommend that you check on LOE requirements before sending out a random blast of them.

OP
malamia

malamia

5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2013
Status
I highly recommend that you check on LOE requirements before sending out a random blast of them.
So what do you recommend I do now? call admissions offices? or did I kind of screw my chances with those schools?

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
chill, I sent too many to one school and they still gave me an interview invite. Sure they might get a bit annoyed but there isnt much you can do about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: malamia

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

p0gono

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2015
Status
This does feel a little unfortunate for those of us without the option of committee letters. Many schools will only get to hear 3 perspectives in my letters, but it's fair to say committee letters likely represent a much more complete and well-rounded picture than that.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I can't sugar coat this. Schools expect you to both pay attention to what you're doing, and to follow simple instructions.

Hello! I am filling out secondaries and realize now that some schools will only take 3-4 letters of evaluation and I sent my five to almost all schools without knowing this. Some schools let you know and choose on the secondary and others in AMCAS. Others don't.

Is this OK?

I know I'm covering all bases ( 2 sci, 1 non-sci, 1 PI, 1 MD) but it worries me that the fact that I didn't follow instructions will hurt me..

Thanks!

Easonred57

"Excellent."
Aug 6, 2013
In the mouse house
Status
Pre-Medical
It probably won't hurt you for those schools that will accept optional LORs in addition to the requirements (assuming those requirements have been met). It will still probably look bad for those schools who explicitly say something like "We will accept a MAXIMUM of 3 letters." In that case, sending 5 will be seen as not following instructions.

To be MD

Med School Or Bust
7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Resurrecting a dead thread here, but I misread my spreadsheet and clicked on all 5 for Tulane (they require 3 maximum).

Please be honest, SDN: should I not even bother paying for the secondary fee if I get it?

I can't sugar coat this. Schools expect you to both pay attention to what you're doing, and to follow simple instructions.