MD & DO Too Many LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I get 3 separate LORs from the same rotation/hospital?

• Yes

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Depends on the situation...

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Stagg737

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in kind of an interesting situation right in terms my current rotation and LORs. I'm on a rotation for my specialty of choice where we work with several attendings, but we work with one attending on the unit each week. Which attending we're working with also changes each week, so we basically work with one during the first week, then work with a new attending the second week, etc.

I came into the rotation determined to get an LOR from one of the attendings. He's pretty well-known in the are and has some pretty strong connections at multiple residency programs in the city, including my current top choice. I have not worked with that attending yet (will be next week), but I plan on asking him for an LOR assuming he doesn't hate me. The issue is that I've worked with two other attendings, and apparently did really well because both of them told me I'd be great in this field and said they'd be happy to write me a LOR.

I'm really happy that I've gotten this kind of encouragement, but is there a problem with getting 3 letters from the same hospital/rotation? I'm not sure if it would be seen as overkill by some programs or if it would look better because everyone there saw positive things about me. Is it fine to get letters from all 3 of them or should I just try and get 1 or 2? Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could potentially get 3 and not assign them to every program in ERAS. For example, I got 2 from one away bc one was the PD and another was from someone who trained at a place I wanted to go. I just assigned the PD letter to lots of places and the latter to that one program.

Reactions: 1 user
@OnePunchBiopsy thanks for the tip! I also have 2 LORs from the same place, but I know one attending holds more weight. I will use your advice and assign the other LOR to the place that I want to go where the other attending was trained! Fantastic idea :)