Too many tests?! How did/will you people cope...

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by rachelgeorge, May 15, 2008.

1. rachelgeorge

Pre-Medical
    Hi,

I'm an arts postgrad, looking to apply to St George's 4 year course (GAMSAT) and Kings 4 year course (UKCAT), and Barts and the London (UKCAT) and UCL (BMAT) 5 year courses.

So, I'd have to take the UKCAT, GAMSAT and BMAT... this seems nuts! Is there anyone else who's doing this? How did you cope?

Do you have to take the course before you find out whether or not they're going to interview you?

Thanks! :laugh:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Live4Life

Live4Life Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Rachelgeorge are you from the UK or EU? Because St. George's only accepts EU applicants.

4. rachelgeorge

Pre-Medical
    I'm from the UK :)

5. Dr Noodle

Dr Noodle Com***e Technician

Non-Student
    Haha how about not applying to schools in such a way that you'll have to do all three??

I did the UKCAT, it's not bad at all. As an arts grad you may have problems with the BMAT and GAMSAT though. You'll have plenty of time between the UKCAT and the BMAT and sure the BMAT is just like a harder version of the UKCAT with a science section included. They have an official study book by the way, which is quite good and you can practice the UKCAT on line.

Believe it or not, 'studying' for the UKCAT does apparently significantly improve your marks which seems to completely defeat the purpose and personally I think they should scrap it but anyway.

You're a glutton for punishment if you go and do the GAMSAT on top of all that!

Also you should consider that you may be disadvantaging yourself by stretching yourself too thin. You would probably be better off concentrating on one to make sure you get the marks. The BMAT and especially the GAMSAT are very science oriented. It's hard enough for science students, you're going to find it very difficult as an arts graduate.

Anyway, good luck :)

6. Live4Life

Live4Life Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dr. Noodle, I am interested in sittng for the UKCAT in July, what type of preparation, if any, did you do for it? I already sat the GAMSAT and scored fine, but I think that I could broaden the range of schools if I sit the UKCAT as well. Any advice?

7. Dr Noodle

Dr Noodle Com***e Technician

Non-Student
    I bought a generic aptitude test book the day before and did all the exercises (had different sections including the numerical, verbal and shapes). Also did some sums from my old maths book and played some sudoku to try and sharpen the auld noodle.

The abstract reasoning section was odd. They had to drop it this year because apparently too many people got full marks (900) in it. I didn't understand it all to be honest. Guess I'm not a logical person :p Just make sure you do the test on the website several times particularly to get used to that section. I only did it once which wasn't a good idea.

Bonne chance :)