Too much about veterans on secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leatherswoosh

Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently working on secondary essays. One school has both a diversity and adversity prompt right after one another.

My diversity essay involves my work directly alongside a homeless veteran and coming to understand his point of view, struggle with substance abuse, etc. It takes place at my local VA hospital.

My adversity essay involves a failure I made when distributing water bottles to veteran athletes at a national sporting event, where I went intentionally went against supervisor orders and distributed water to volunteers because they were thirsty (these specific water bottles were only meant for athletes).

Both essays involve working with veterans, but are two completely different stories that took place at different times. Is this too repetitive for admissions committees? Do they want to see a story involving a different setting (clinical hospital volunteering, etc.)

Alternatively, I can also write about one time during hospital volunteering where a patient acted towards me in aggressive and dismissive manner due to my race (Asian). However, it's not as if I endured trauma from this, nor had some great solution for the issue, either.

Thank you for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't mean to be harsh, but unless the water bottle situation was much more dramatic than described, I would be a little skeptical reading an essay about how much adversity you faced that day.

Not everybody faces significant adversity, but I think most people have overcome a more significant challenge than that.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't mean to be harsh, but unless the water bottle situation was much more dramatic than described, I would be a little skeptical reading an essay about how much adversity you faced that day.

Not everybody faces significant adversity, but I think most people have overcome a more significant challenge than that.

Thanks for your reply. And apologies, I may have mislabeled. The water bottle story was not an adversity essay, but was in response to a "describe a failure/a decision that you regret" prompt. In that context, I was wondering if the stories working with veterans may be too repetitive.

It just shows you did a lot of stuff with veterans. It's an application, not a variety show.

Reactions: 1 user