Too much of a non-medical side?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DendWrite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in short, I have an opportunity next year to be an editor for the school newspaper...it's a leadership position and something I'm good at. However, the problem: it is an approximately 30 hrs/week commitment. With a full courseload, it will be unlikely that I can fit in much clinical volunteering and probably no research. Lets assume for argument's sake that I can maintain the same grades with this job as I could without it, and that only my ECs are under consideration. I already have about 100 hours of clinical volunteering and a good bit of research experience and I'll be a sophomore next year.

Is the newspaper position "too much of a good thing," or should I go for it anyway? My main concern is this: the newspaper is a fun hobby for me, but I know without a doubt I want to go into medicine, not grad school for english or into journalism. In other words, I don't want pursuing this as a hobby to come back and bite me later on. Do you think it will, or is it cool so long as I pack in some clinical work and do research over summers / breaks?

Sorry for the rather neurotic question -- I've just been struggling with this for the past few weeks and could use some insight.

Members don't see this ad.

So in short, I have an opportunity next year to be an editor for the school newspaper...it's a leadership position and something I'm good at. However, the problem: it is an approximately 30 hrs/week commitment. With a full courseload, it will be unlikely that I can fit in much clinical volunteering and probably no research. Lets assume for argument's sake that I can maintain the same grades with this job as I could without it, and that only my ECs are under consideration. I already have about 100 hours of clinical volunteering and a good bit of research experience and I'll be a sophomore next year.

Is the newspaper position "too much of a good thing," or should I go for it anyway? My main concern is this: the newspaper is a fun hobby for me, but I know without a doubt I want to go into medicine, not grad school for english or into journalism. In other words, I don't want pursuing this as a hobby to come back and bite me later on. Do you think it will, or is it cool so long as I pack in some clinical work and do research over summers / breaks?

Sorry for the rather neurotic question -- I've just been struggling with this for the past few weeks and could use some insight.

Sounds like a good EC. However, adcoms will expect really good application essays. If you spend a lot of time and energy into this activity but write a ho-hum PS, it could be a major disadvantage.

Oddly enough, humans have interests outside of their careers. Luckily for us, med schools want nothing more than to fill their classes with humans.

Take the position if you think you'll enjoy it and can handle the time commitment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I uses your newspapers as floor protection for when I paint!

After I read them, of course. I like recycling paper for more uses than in a recycling bin.