Too Much Personal Info On Predents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

persenmi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I was looking at my predents page last night and realized that with my interview date posted, a motivated adcoms member could I.D. me because I had so much of my personal info posted (age, sex, school, major, etc.). I have nothing to hide but I don't want adcoms to know where I have applied, interviewed, and been accepted. Do you think adcoms search predents for info on applicants :confused:?

Members don't see this ad.

even if they did ID us (which I highly doubt an adcom has THAT much free time on their hands).... what possible harm can they do?

"sorry we can't accept you because....well....we think we identified you on predents.com and.... you've interviewed at too many places"

Members don't see this ad :)
im pretty sure they can access all of this information and more from your aadsas app...

Well I was looking at my predents page last night and realized that with my interview date posted, a motivated adcoms member could I.D. me because I had so much of my personal info posted (age, sex, school, major, etc.). I have nothing to hide but I don't want adcoms to know where I have applied, interviewed, and been accepted. Do you think adcoms search predents for info on applicants :confused:?
1. w/ predents.com you can track down who was at your interviews. Minor stalking.

2. w/ GPA and DAT scores alone if they are motivated enough they can find you. (not a whole lot people will have all 7# exactly to the point.)

3. People list their extra curricular along w/ their school name, which might lead to stalking and exposing of identity... ie(vice presdient of predental club at x univ.) Same goes for ethnicity and sex. Dont list them. there is no need for anyone to know this info.

4. some people post accurate data ie. when they got in, when they interviewed... adcoms can easily find out who you are. or the worst the people who interviewed along you can keep track of you(its non of their business) - its never safe to have your identity exposed on a public forum. YES EVEN IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.

Small advice to people who use predents.com

Leave out couple portions of your dat score you can keepnAA and TS. Dont put more than one decimal place for your gpa. Say your gpa is 3.532 just say 3.5(only if you want to share). NEVER list dates of your interviews, OR your acceptaces or rejection or wait-listed dates in here or mainly PREDENTS.com. IN PREDENTS.com never list your ETHNICITY, SEX, AGE, YOUR EXTRA CIRR(if you do be vague about it), SCHOOLS YOU attended(undergrad, MS).

Thanks for the replies. I can see now I was just being paranoid. I blame my impaired judgment on the stress involved with the dental school application process :rolleyes:. For the past six months I've been like :eek: then :scared: then back to :eek:, but come fall 2011 I will be like :cool:.

:thumbup:

Eh... provide only as much information as you feel comfortable. I would say though that, DURING the process, comparing myself to others (from previous years) really helped me set my goals so I'm grateful for that data, at least.

Now that I'm already accepted, I updated my stats to be more accurate. I hope this will be of help to those applying the next years.

Even if they did "ID" you, they can't really make any judgements based on the info they see legally. They can't know 100% that it is you, so even if they find you on there, there is no way that can use any info from there anyway.

1. w/ predents.com you can track down who was at your interviews. Minor stalking.

2. w/ GPA and DAT scores alone if they are motivated enough they can find you. (not a whole lot people will have all 7# exactly to the point.)

3. People list their extra curricular along w/ their school name, which might lead to stalking and exposing of identity... ie(vice presdient of predental club at x univ.) Same goes for ethnicity and sex. Dont list them. there is no need for anyone to know this info.

4. some people post accurate data ie. when they got in, when they interviewed... adcoms can easily find out who you are. or the worst the people who interviewed along you can keep track of you(its non of their business) - its never safe to have your identity exposed on a public forum. YES EVEN IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.

Small advice to people who use predents.com

Leave out couple portions of your dat score you can keepnAA and TS. Dont put more than one decimal place for your gpa. Say your gpa is 3.532 just say 3.5(only if you want to share). NEVER list dates of your interviews, OR your acceptaces or rejection or wait-listed dates in here or mainly PREDENTS.com. IN PREDENTS.com never list your ETHNICITY, SEX, AGE, YOUR EXTRA CIRR(if you do be vague about it), SCHOOLS YOU attended(undergrad, MS).

THANK YOU! This is common sense, but most people never take the time to think these things through. If you don't want to be found, then don't put all your info up. Even if you don't mind, its better to just post up things that won't identify you so that you don't have people going around stalking you...because that's just really creepy, and def not the kind of attention you want. As well, I want to recommend everyone who is applying to dent school to change your Facebook privacy settings so that adcoms can't creep you or judge you based on your drunk/sexy/embarrassing profile pic.

Even if they did "ID" you, they can't really make any judgements based on the info they see legally. They can't know 100% that it is you, so even if they find you on there, there is no way that can use any info from there anyway.

facebook profile pics speak more loudly than these, but yes some adcoms are motivated enough when they have the last few spots and can't narrow down the spots to start splitting hairs. For some adcoms, the school they work for is like their baby, and I'm not making this up.

they have access to where you have applied, interview, accepted, anyways.