Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Too much to do, too little time :/

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SBTF2008, Dec 29, 2008.

1. SBTF2008

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey,
    Basically, I'm wondering if taking five years to graduate will look bad on my application. I am majoring in Nutrition, minoring in History, participating in the Honors program (extra coursework, basically), planning to spend a semester studying Russian history in St. Petersburg, I am my major's rep for the college of lifesci's student council, and I am working thirty hours a week. Now, I'm weighing two options. Either I drop one of my extras (minor, St. Petersburg, etc.) or I graduate after nine semesters instead of eight. Any insight would be wonderful. Thanks a bunch!

2. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    go for 9 and be prepared to discuss russia.

3. Abulcasis

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Definitely not. A LOT of med school applicants go for a fifth year or even take a year off between Ugrad and med school. It doesn't look bad at all but in fact, it might even help you.

If you have a lot to balance then going for a fifth year only enhances your application. So you went to St. Petersburg and had a minor but graduated late, to me and probably anyone, that's much better and interesting than dropping that to graduate on time. Explore more of what you like and don't let graduation deadlines get to you (my brother had the same problem. My parents felt graduating in his 5th year was a source of some embarrassment but it only helped him :)). As long as you have the grades, the EC's, but there's more you want to pursue, GO FOR IT. Med schools will NOT look down on you for going to school for 9 semesters. More experiences, more life enjoying events, and the more your application looks better.

:)

4. HM3Rockstar

HM3Rockstar Party Foul Extraordinaire
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    agreed. Russia would be a nice conversation piece in an interview. Plus, the time it takes for you to graduate won't matter as long are your grades are good to go.

5. enjoydrywax

5+ Year Member

I think you just have to sit down and weigh what's more important to you--finishing in four or getting in everything you want to do with your time in college. If it were me, I would drop anything extraneous (history minor/major whatever) and purely focus my efforts on getting into medical school. I believe you can satisfy your thirst for historical knowledge on the side by reading in your leisure time or what have you.

6. pianola

pianola MS2
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :thumbup::thumbup: My decision was the opposite of enjoydrywax's, but I entirely agree that you just need to sit down and figure out where your priorities lie.

If I could do it all over again, I would say taking a year off was beneficial, but two years (which is where I am now) was a little too much. Figure out when you'll be ready to take the MCAT if you haven't already -- this figured into my decision a bit.

Ultimately, you just have to find out what would make you happiest.

Frankly, IMO, your application to medical school can never be strong enough. That was part of what fueled my decision to take off more time.

But yeah, it's a personal decision.

7. dw2158

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    DEFINITELY take the extra semester. As someone who's decided to take 2 years off between college and med school (even though I'm just beginning my time off!) I would say taking things slowly and getting all you can out of them is way more important and more fun than rushing to finish "on time." Enjoy Russia!

8. MeatTornado

MeatTornado On Sabbatical
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i'm going to have to disagree with basically everyone who posted....the opportunity cost of an extra semester of college just so you can complete a minor makes it not worth it at all! Think about it...you have to pay for the semester and you forego a few months (and maybe even a whole year) of full time work.

absolutely go to russia...that's a great experience....but if dropping the history minor will get u to graduate on time then it's basically a no-brainer....drop the minor!

9. chessknt87

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Another point to consider is debt accumulation. Staying another semester and doing all this extra stuff will rack up costs (unless its all paid for) that will come back to bite you in 4 yrs when you graduate.

10. SBTF2008

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the advice guys. My husband and I are still discussing our options :) Luckily, an extra semester will only set me back 2k if I DONT get any federal aid or scholarships, which I should (the benefits of a privately owned church school). Again, thanks for the advice.