Too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MexicanDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this too much?

Bio 1 w/lab

Chem 1 w/lab

Biology of Cancer or Pre-calculus

Working 24-32 hrs a week

Research for 3-5 hrs a week

Volunteer 2-4 hrs a week

Thanks guys..

Members don't see this ad.

Well first, can you specify how long your labs are and how many times they meet per week. How many credits are your classes and also, are you on the quarter system or semester system?

I am assuming you're a freshman since you're taking Bio I and Chem I. I'd say take the math class instead of the other bio class, which would be a pretty standard first semester for a pre-med. It will be tough with working and volunteering but there is no reason you can't do it. Give it a try and if you find you can't handle it all adjust from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
The work may get in the way, but if you need to work (to pay rent, etc.) you can make it happen

Is this too much?

Bio 1 w/lab

Chem 1 w/lab

Working 24-32 hrs a week

Volunteer 2-4 hrs a week

Thanks guys..

For you, yes. Given your numerous threads and your tanked GPA, you might want to consider taking on a lighter load to actually improve it.

The classes aren't a problem. The only thing that will for sure get in the way is how much you're working. 34 hours is a lot of work...

If it's not necessary I wouldn't do it. If you need it to live, then well...

To me that looks like a pretty weighty schedule. If you need to work that much to stay in school I get it but to attempt to get in another 5-9 hours of other stuff (and two different types of stuff) seems unreasonable to me. Sounds like you'll be running around alot and tiring yourself out.

I'd cut back on the research and/or volunteering until you either a) had more free time or b) had a firm grasp on the other stuff first. Besides, 3-5 hours a week in lab a week likely wouldn't do diddly squat for you.

Is this too much?

Bio 1 w/lab

Chem 1 w/lab

Working 24-32 hrs a week

Volunteer 2-4 hrs a week

Thanks guys..

How does biology of cancer not have pre-reqs? Also, finding a lab that is willing to take someone who can only work 3-5 hours a week and who hasn't even completed intro bio is going to be VERY, VERY difficult. You have no bio background, and specifically, no lab skills. Learning to do research takes lots and lots of time, and it's going to be hard to find a PI who'll sign on to only having you in lab 3-5 hours a week. So, unless you plan to wash glassware, you need to rethink your priorities, or wait to do research

For you, yes. Given your numerous threads and your tanked GPA, you might want to consider taking on a lighter load to actually improve it.
Truth card. OP: doable, but if you're in for a post-bac then make sure your GPA = your first priority, or else that defeats the purpose of the post-bac - lol.

How does biology of cancer not have pre-reqs?

That is what I was thinking. My school wants people to have biochemistry, genetics, and adv cell biology to take that class.

But I think your schedule is entirely doable. I mean you should end up with only like 11 - 12 credits? But personally I would get burned out, and if you do start feeling that way maybe stop volunteering for a little while and do that on breaks from school.

What kind of research requires you 3-5hrs/wk? That's the amount of time I spend in lab per day.

depends on your school, and your work,etc

i have to agree, from your past posts between late 09 to now you seem like a pretty weak student (sorry :(). That much work would be hard for a student who doesn't have a pattern of trouble with school.