Too old for anesthesiology at 31 with i years left? Job opportunities limited at that age?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camb216

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to go to school for anesthesiology, but am worried by the time I finish I will not be hired due to age. I am also a bit confused about the length of time in school...it is 4 years for a BS, 4 years of med school, but how long does my residency have to be?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to go to school for anesthesiology, but am worried by the time I finish I will not be hired due to age. I am also a bit confused about the length of time in school...it is 4 years for a BS, 4 years of med school, but how long does my residency have to be?
1) If you're starting without even a bachelor's degree (by the way I don't think you need a BS but any bachelor's degree so long as you also complete your prerequisites for med school), then it's 4 years for a bachelor's degree + 4 years med school + 4 years anesthesiology residency (without fellowship) = 12 years.

If you've already done another undergraduate degree without any med school prereqs, then you could do a post-bacc degree (~2 years), then apply to med school = 2 post-bacc + 4 years med school + 4 years anesthesia = 10 years.

I'm not sure if you'd be eligible, but I believe there are some combined bachelor's/MD programs. For example, UMKC has one that only takes 6 years.

2) As for age, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean you are now 31 and embarking on this career path? If so, then you're looking at around 10-12 years minimum. Possibly longer if you get slowed down here or there for whatever reason (e.g., you're working and trying to make it through college at the same time). By then you'd be about 41-43 years old or older.

Is early-to-mid 40s as an attending anesthesiologist too old? I have no idea. Maybe some of the attendings who hire could tell you?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.