Too old to be a surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimkat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you become a surgeon if you go to medical school and graduate at 40?

Members don't see this ad.

jimkat said:
Can you become a surgeon if you go to medical school and graduate at 40?

Interesting question. I don't see why not. The residency program will get the same five years of work out of you. I know a local gyn surgeon who started at 42. What have your advisors told you?

phoenixsupra said:
Interesting question. I don't see why not. The residency program will get the same five years of work out of you. I know a local gyn surgeon who started at 42. What have your advisors told you?

Most of the people I talk to are like "go for it". But I want to make sure this is not just the typical optimistic line they give to all potential non-traditional students.

BTW, I did see a surgeon on the Discovery show "Code Blue" who was the attending at a major hospital in New Orleans (he started at 40 as well). I just wonder if this guy was the exception.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been wondering much the same thing. Granted, I'm still a pre-med (non-trad), so perhaps its "early worrying". Neurosurgery strikes me as incredibly fascinating, but, considering that I would finish med school at 37, I had doubted how much it would make sense. How long can you count on rock-steady hands?

I am 41 and applying to many surgical residency programs. I worked with a resident at my facility who finished his residency at the age of 54. He told me that as long as I really want to be a surgeon it won't matter how old I am... except that some programs may have a problem with my age (and gender, but that's another story). Having confidence and exuding that confidence is important when trying to win over a program you want that may be resistant to the "age thing." I say go for it!!! :thumbup:

Good luck to all fellow my "older" applicants. :p

OF COURSE YOU CAN!!!!

I graduated med school at 42. Now PGY 2 surgery. There are a number of examples of people in any specalty who are older.

I don't understand why people always ask "can you do X if you are Y years old. There are very few professions where there is a rule that you can't do it beyond a certain age. There are NO rules or age requirements in any area of medicine.

You can do whatever you want as long as you are willing to. Surgery is more physically demanding than many other areas of medicine. If you are willing to deal with that fine. Go for it.

There will be some who will discourage you from trying. If you really want to do surgery, ignore those people. You can do whatever you want. You probably had people tell you that you shouldn't go to med school becuase of your age, but you ignored them, didn't you? Same thing here.

When you interview for residency, you will be asked multiple times, "How do you feel about taking orders from people who are older than you?" But that's the only thing I found on interivews. Your age should cause you to behave more maturely, which will be a huge advantage in your clinical years, so you should have great letters of recommendation.

I'd recommend making sure you work out and get in as good as shape as possible to help you make it through a surgery residency.

But othewise, quit worrrying about your age and just go for it. You are as young as you feel.

supercut said:
OF COURSE YOU CAN!!!!

...When you interview for residency, you will be asked multiple times, "How do you feel about taking orders from people who are older than you?" ...

Did you mean "... people who are younger than you?..."

If you had any type of job prior to medical school then you have already experienced taking orders from younger people, especially if you spent any time in the military (damn butter bars!!! :D ). You can handle it!!!