Too old to become a physician or surgeon ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

intern123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi people. I am new to this forum, so please don't blame me if I post this thread not in the right place.

I have one question that concerns me.

I want to become a surgeon or a physician. But I am afraid that I am too old. Currently I am 26 yr. When I matriculate to med school next year (I hope) I will be 27.

Do I still qualify for that profession or is it too late ?

Besides, can you give me more details about what is the average age of first year med students in USA. As I understand I will be non traditional.

p.s. sorry for my bad English, not mother-tongue :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi people. I am new to this forum, so please don't blame me if I post this thread not in the right place.

I have one question that concerns me.

I want to become a surgeon or a physician. But I am afraid that I am too old. Currently I am 26 yr. When I matriculate to med school next year (I hope) I will be 27.

Do I still qualify for that profession or is it too late ?

Besides, can you give me more details about what is the average age of first year med students in USA. As I understand I will be non traditional.

p.s. sorry for my bad English, not mother-tongue :)

You are still young for medical school & a medical career. You'll meet students in their 30s and maybe even some in their 40s. Read more about it here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Do you really want to be average? Then don't even try to go to medical school. Average people don't get accepted. Yes, I know you are talking about average medical students, but now is a good time to stop worrying about average and thinking about what qualifies you and what you have to offer. Make sure that you are exceptional and that your qualifications (GPA, MCAT, ECs, clinical experience, research, etc.) prove it. I hope it works out for you. :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.