1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Too old to go to Trinity College?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by PTgirl, Apr 29, 2007.

1. PTgirl

2+ Year Member

I am 29 years old, and have just been accepted to Trinity College, however I am concerned that I will be much older then my classmates, as Trinity program is not a graduate entry program.
    Does anyone know what's the average age of students in 1st year? Is there people in their late 20's and early 30's and what percentage??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. applepark

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Hey PTgirl,

If I end up going to Trinity, I will be 26. So I would think that 29 isn't too old. Besides who cares. I mother went back to University when she was 40 and become a pharmacist. Age doesn't matter! But good question anyways.

4. Unch

Unch Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    With all due respect, this is a pretty frequent question that has been well-addressed in the past. Try searching SDN with keywords like "old" and see what you find.

In brief reply, many of us will have a private laugh that 29 could be too old. I'm a 41 year old second med at UCC and there are at least three others at UCC in their 40s. The same, roughly speaking, is true of all the Irish schools. My sense is that they bring a few genuinely "mature" students into each class (usually one or two graduate entry Irish or UK students and a few NAmericans) to round out the class as it were. Then again, most of the NAmericans (18 in my class) will be nearly 30 by graduation and a few are older than that.

5. med2UCC

med2UCC Relentlessly Optimistic
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey there, come on over and join the fun! I'm 41 and in 4th med at UCC, and I get along with my classmates just fine. I don't go out drinking with the younger students that often, but I show up for the 21st's that I am invited to, and the occasional class party. I don't feel unduly old to be in med school (except when I try to figure out how old I will be before I have payed off my student loans:eek: ). Its really not an issue; there will be mature people in your class among the young Irish students, and immature people among the "old farts" from North America. Eventually you find the people you like and hang out with them. Don't let your "age" problem hold you back. Cheers,
    M

6. PTgirl

2+ Year Member

Hey med2UCC,
    do you know what the average age of the entering class is? I have a feeling that most people are in their early 20's and that those 5 years will be difficult in terms of socializing with another generation.

7. ftcnt

ftcnt Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

can any of you comment on the number of students Irish or International that come into the program with graduate degrees. I"m interested in applying to Ireland medical schools.

As well, what is the view of most students and faculty of students coming from North American (predominately I presume) and getting an education in Ireland with the intention of returning home?

8. Sage880

Sage880 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Everyone of the Irish students in your class will be 18. Well, that's not true. There was one 19 year old, 2 mature Irish students who were 24 and 28, and about a half dozen who were 17 years old. So yeah, you'll be a lot older then the vast majority of your class.

But 15-20 or so of the north Americans will all be in the 24-40 range so you'll still have lots of people to talk to. And the Irish are friendly and open minded and pretty mature for being 18 so I don't think you should worry. It won't be as bad as you think. Plus, there are 5 years of medical school and lots of other mature students in each year and inter-year mingling/scoring is allowed.

9. med2UCC

med2UCC Relentlessly Optimistic
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sage is right about the average age of the Irish - we had a couple of people in our class who started at 16, and most of them were 18 in the first year, but quite a few of them are fairly mature for their age. However, the Malaysians are a little older (some of them have done a couple of years of school after highschool to complete courses before doing medicine and some of them do a foundation year here, so they are 20-ish when they start) and there are always a couple of older Irish students. At UCC there are usually 10-15 North Americans per year in the 25-40 age group, and we are a pretty friendly bunch and don't look down on the junior years. There are lots of people to socialize with, and if you get involved in something in the community you also get to know people outside of medicine - a good thing, since you don't have to discuss the OSCE with them, or try to guess what insanity will be on the finals, or bitch about clinics or...
    Really, I had some concerns about starting in with undergrads at my age (I was a young sprog of 37 when I started this, not an old lady of 41 as I am now) but it has been fine. I have issues occasionally with the profs treating us like we are 3, but that would happen anywhere because some people always treat you like you are a moron (because they are, really). I'm going out tomorrow for lunch with a group of friends from class after our exam, and then to a movie with a friend from outside school. Sometime in the next week I am going to visit a friend from another class who has just had a baby, and maybe have coffee and a catch-up with another friend who is studying for 3rd med exams right now. Life goes on, and you meet new people and get on with it. Cheers,
    M

10. Jocks

Jocks Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

:laugh: That was the funniest damn thing I've read in a while.

...it should be noted that NA scoring is different from Irish scoring. :p

11. Me an MD??

Me an MD?? Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ya and this Irish scoring is going on in every pub/club around you when you go out.

12. Livethedream

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Really?? In what way? I'm Irish by the way so be gentle:oops: