Too soon to send in updates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SisterDisco08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just hired as a medical scribe, and I feel like that's relevant enough to have added to my application--Should I just shoot off an email to schools as I get secondaries or what? Should I wait until I get interviews and just bring it up at those?

What's the protocol on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I guess if I sent in something now they'd be like: "...And?" :D

Well, now I'll have something to bring up at interviews!

Hmm, I'm in a similar situation, but I'm not sure I want to wait all the way until interviews.

Currently I'm gaining some really intense clinical experience. I started after submitting AMCAS, but it's already been about a month at 50 hours a week. I work very closely with the attending. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if I could get some feedback on what you guys think I could/should do. The way I see it, there are three options:

1. Send in an update. I would prefer sooner than later, as clinical experience is something that is a little light on my AMCAS app. How soon do you think would be reasonable? I'm thinking September.
  2. Send in a new LOR from the attending. My current LORs are strong, but all are about research/classes. I have no letters from MDs or about my clinical experiences. For this, I would probably ask the attending in about 2 months (after 3 months and 600 hours of working with her). But would it be totally random for the schools to receive a new LOR when I never even mentioned this experience to them?
  3. No update. Cross fingers for interviews and talk about it then.

Hmm, I'm in a similar situation, but I'm not sure I want to wait all the way until interviews.

Currently I'm gaining some really intense clinical experience. I started after submitting AMCAS, but it's already been about a month at 50 hours a week. I work very closely with the attending. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if I could get some feedback on what you guys think I could/should do. The way I see it, there are three options:

1. Send in an update. I would prefer sooner than later, as clinical experience is something that is a little light on my AMCAS app. How soon do you think would be reasonable? I'm thinking September.
  2. Send in a new LOR from the attending. My current LORs are strong, but all are about research/classes. I have no letters from MDs or about my clinical experiences. For this, I would probably ask the attending in about 2 months (after 3 months and 600 hours of working with her). But would it be totally random for the schools to receive a new LOR when I never even mentioned this experience to them?
  3. No update. Cross fingers for interviews and talk about it then.
Maybe update and send in a letter? Since you've already gotten a significant amount of experience from it, I'd think it's appropriate

At nearly every interview, you will be asked if you have any updates for your file. I would wait until this point to tell the Admissions Committee about your new job (or publication, shadowing experience, award, etc). If you email or send a letter now, you risk having nothing to update at the interview. Moreover, you may find in a few weeks or months that you have an additional update, and you do not want to send multiple letters.

Here is my recommended time line. Wait until November or December. At that point, you will (hopefully) have been able to update some interviewers in person. Then, send an email to schools you have not heard from, express your interest in interviewing, and include any updates to your application. If updates occur after you have already interviewed, send an email to your interviewers as well as to the general email address for Admissions and include your updates and also reiterate your interest. Finally, it's nice to have a printed copy of any updates to physically give to your interviewers so that it can be physically added to your file. If you only tell someone, they may forget.

At nearly every interview, you will be asked if you have any updates for your file. I would wait until this point to tell the Admissions Committee about your new job (or publication, shadowing experience, award, etc). If you email or send a letter now, you risk having nothing to update at the interview. Moreover, you may find in a few weeks or months that you have an additional update, and you do not want to send multiple letters.

Here is my recommended time line. Wait until November or December. At that point, you will (hopefully) have been able to update some interviewers in person. Then, send an email to schools you have not heard from, express your interest in interviewing, and include any updates to your application. If updates occur after you have already interviewed, send an email to your interviewers as well as to the general email address for Admissions and include your updates and also reiterate your interest. Finally, it's nice to have a printed copy of any updates to physically give to your interviewers so that it can be physically added to your file. If you only tell someone, they may forget.

If you send an update letter it will be added to your file at once, while if Rook waits, he/she may not receive as many interviews while lacking significant clinical experience (which he/she now has.) I think it makes more sense to send an update letter soon, prior to expecting to receive interviews. Continuing prior activities and having no "new" updates is not a negative for an interview, why would it be? Better to update now and increase chances of getting interviews at all than worrying about a specific interview question that doesn't matter that much.

Sending updates is good, if they are significant. Sending updates non stop is a sign of crazy, and will reflect negatively on your social skills. One, maybe two updates of relevant significance is an appropriate goal. Just keep that in mind.