Too Tough to Handle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoosier77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I will be a freshman this fall and here is what I'm considering for my 1st semester:

Pre-Calculus
Biology (w/ lab)
Chemistry (w/ lab)
Spanish (no background whatsoever)
First Aid (GE requirement)

Do you think this would be too tough to handle as a freshman?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on how much fun you want to have.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the rush?

Ease into freshman year. Drop one of those science classes. Make a 4.0. Then up the ante next semester...

Just peruse these threads to read all the sob stories from people who made a 2 point zippity doo dah in their first semester at college...usually because they overloaded their schedules with hard classes right out of the gate.

Don't do the typical freshman "crash and burn" on your GPA.

I would ligthen up your load a bit. College can be difficult the first semester for a lot of people, take a lighter course load and get used to it before taking 3 math/science classes in one semester.

The first four are eerily similar to my course load first term of Freshman year, except I had Calculus instead of Pre-Calc. I would say it's doable and not that big of a deal. If you think you might have a hard time transitioning to college with so much going on, I would take it slow. There is honestly no rush...You will run out of classes later on if you max out every term.

It just depends... I take it from the fact that you have to take pre-cal that math isn't your strongest subject, so for you this schedule may indeed be a bit harder than you would want to start off with. But if math is no problem for you, then you might be ok. I personally handled intro bio, intro chem, and cal 2 in my first college semester with little difficulty simply because math has always come easily to me- if that sounds like you, go for it.

There really isn't any one-size fits all answer to this question. Whatever you do, don't crash and burn that GPA from the get-go. Obviously, you'll want some buffer room on your GPA for later when you take the upper-division science courses.

i wold drop bio. no need to rush.

Ok so I will be a freshman this fall and here is what I'm considering for my 1st semester:

Pre-Calculus
Biology (w/ lab)
Chemistry (w/ lab)

Honestly I think you're fine. Just be sure to hit the ground running.

Pre-Calculus
Biology (w/ lab)
Chemistry (w/ lab)

Well in all honesty it is not that tough...but you will be a Frosh.

My advice would be to take out the spanish and put that off until later (like as in senior year while you are applying to medical school).

Freshman year 1st term is when you meet all your friends, when you go out and live the "college life" that you see on TV, when you should be more worried about whether or not the students sitting next to you can smell the skunk beer and rum that is on your breath on Friday morning (after thirsty Thursday). What I am getting at is that there are more important things than taking a tough course load right out of the gate. Hell chances are you won't even become a physician (everone and their pet turtle are pre-med when they are a freshman in college). If you take those courses you will be spending a bunch of time studying that first semester and will have no base of friends for the remainder of the 4 years you spend as an undergrad.

My advice is to take these classes your FIRST term freshman year.
Chem
Bio
First Aid
_____ <--something else that is easy
Pre calc.

Looks pretty light to me.

Pre-Cal: 3-4 units
chem (with lab): 4-5 units
Spanish: 3 units
1st aid: 1-3 units

*possibly add an "easier" or fun GE requirement. In my case I took a multicultural music class or you can take a PE class. I suggest taking chem in your frosh year so you can take o-chem your soph year, but if you are really bad at chem, then wait a year and take bio instead.

Since it's your fist semester in college, I agree with most other posters that you should keep it simple. You want to have fun, meet people, go to parties, sports events, etc. Living in the dorms on campus there are always distractions and having a full load may burn you out. Make sure you have at least 12 units though so you are a full-time student. After your first semester, you can add more classes if you feel like you can handle it all. Don't forget you can always take summer classes too!

It is a pretty light load for some of us, but its up to you. If you're a good student and put in the effort, you wouldn't have too much trouble. My freshman year I took a tougher schedule and did fine, had plenty of fun, etc, etc. The one trick was that I had already taken AP Chem and Calc, and was repeating them.

OK! thanks for the replies ill probabaly drop spanish and bio (maybe do it 2nd sem) but this really helps!!!