Took DAT 07/31/17 - 25 PAT, 21 TS, 20 AA but 14 QR :*(.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ah67209

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, So I took the DAT yesterday and totally Flanked the QR section!
PAT: 25
QR: 14 !!!
RC: 20
BIO: 19
GC: 22
OCH: 23
TS: 21
AA: 20
sGPA: 3.52
oGPA: 3.50

What are your inputs? Should I apply or not waste my money? Anyone in similar situation? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Call the specific schools you're interested in and ask how much of a problem that score in QR will be. Some schools have cutoffs that will make applying with a 14 (even in a less important section like QR) pretty difficult. Others won't care as much, and your GPA and DAT are fine overall.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, So I took the DAT yesterday and totally Flanked the QR section!
PAT: 25
QR: 14 !!!
RC: 20
BIO: 19
GC: 22
OCH: 23
TS: 21
AA: 20
sGPA: 3.52
oGPA: 3.50

What are your inputs? Should I apply or not waste my money? Anyone in similar situation? Thanks
I would definitely make some phone calls, you are not going to like this, but 14 is below the cutoff for most schools. Before wasting a lot of time and money do your research. Your other scores were on track, what happened in QR?

Call the specific schools you're interested in and ask how much of a problem that score in QR will be. Some schools have cutoffs that will make applying with a 14 (even in a less important section like QR) pretty difficult. Others won't care as much, and your GPA and DAT are fine overall.
As far as I know, only Buffalo has that specific cutoff out of the dozen schools that I'm applying to. I met the criteria for all of the other one since they required the cutoff only on the academic average; AA, TS, and PAT. I definitely will call and see if they have suggestions. I'm just trying to gauge the prospect on here to see if there was any positive momentum for others with similar circumstances on here in the past. Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely make some phone calls, you are not going to like this, but 14 is below the cutoff for most schools. Before wasting a lot of time and money do your research. Your other scores were on track, what happened in QR?
I did some research, Bulk of the schools set a cuttoff for AA, TS...etc. with only a few that I know of that requires a minimum on each specific section. I lost track of time and spent way too long on the first few questions. It all went downhill after that...went completely blank and only managed to get to question 21/40 :(

I did some research, Bulk of the schools set a cuttoff for AA, TS...etc. with only a few that I know of that requires a minimum on each specific section. I lost track of time and spent way too long on the first few questions. It all went downhill after that...went completely blank and only managed to get to question 21/40 :(

You don't just want to look at the formal DAT minimums of each school - you'll want to reach out to specifically ask about your situation. They can often give you more detailed feedback than what's available on their website. Individual section cutoffs (formal or informal) are not likely to be heavily discussed on their website.

What did you do to prepare for QR?
Chad's Videos and Math Destroyer. It's not hard per se, I scored relatively high off the timer. However, there were alarmingly a lot of Qualitative Comparison questions that threw me off guard and consumed a ton of time fazing out

Chad's Videos and Math Destroyer. It's not hard per se, I scored relatively high off the timer. However, there were alarmingly a lot of Qualitative Comparison questions that threw me off guard and consumed a ton of time fazing out
Just curious did you complete all the work in the Math Destroyer, along with the new QC problems? Most students tell me they have between 4-10 of the new type problems, did you have more? Sorry for all the questions, but they are helpful for others.

Just curious did you complete all the work in the Math Destroyer, along with the new QC problems? Most students tell me they have between 4-10 of the new type problems, did you have more? Sorry for all the questions, but they are helpful for others.
I wasn't aware there were new qc problems? I utilized it up to test number 7. It was helpful indeed and i did score fairly decent on it. However, it was all untimed

Yea i had around 9-11 QC problems! I didn't know how to tackle it and wasted the bulk of my time thus failed to finish half of the exam.

Most schools look at the PAT and Reading Comprehension sections more heavily than the QR section. I got a 16 on it, but my AA was 19, PAT was 21, and RC was 22 and I got into both Midwestern Universities. I would definitely call the schools that you want to attend. Especially with a 20 AA, a 25 PAT, and a 3.5 GPA you are an excellent candidate in my personal opinion!

You don't just want to look at the formal DAT minimums of each school - you'll want to reach out to specifically ask about your situation. They can often give you more detailed feedback than what's available on their website. Individual section cutoffs (formal or informal) are not likely to be heavily discussed on their website.
Good news for those of you that are in similar predicament as I am. So after calling more than two dozen schools to clarify the low QR scores - It seems that the majority of the dental schools that I've contacted (exception: Buffalo and Oregon Health - 15 minimum across the board) look at it holistically in terms of your DAT scores. As long as your AA, TS, and PAT are within competitive digits of their previous years' stats than you are by no mean out of the running. However, as I was told, specific sections are still weigh differently by individual schools. That being said, What a relieve! It would've been so depressing to have to start the process over again and wait another year. lol

Most schools look at the PAT and Reading Comprehension sections more heavily than the QR section. I got a 16 on it, but my AA was 19, PAT was 21, and RC was 22 and I got into both Midwestern Universities. I would definitely call the schools that you want to attend. Especially with a 20 AA, a 25 PAT, and a 3.5 GPA you are an excellent candidate in my personal opinion!
That's a relieve knowing that I still have a chance! fingers crossed. Congrats!

That's a relieve knowing that I still have a chance! fingers crossed. Congrats!
Absolutely you have a chance! Seriously, scoring a 25 on the PAT shows that you have the mind of a dentist! And besides, as a dentist you wont really use math, especially the math we had to learn for the DAT haha! Thank you so much, I am extremely excited! I know you will get in for sure, you got this! Good luck!!