Took DAT today. Is QR score important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hifidk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As you see I have joined this forum a while ago and have been lurking for long time.
I just took my second DAT today.
I got 21 for QR for the first time a couple years back. But I really did bad today and got 17 :(
Since my score for QR section went down so much, I was wondering if this is really bad.
I don't know why but math part was so hard this time :mad:
My PAT score went down little bit too but overall I am pretty happy about what I got (of course except 17 on QR).

So, I am pretty sure all of the scores are important but... is my math score going to have effect on my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much. I would worry if it was anything lower than that. A 17 is not a great score..but everyone seems to struggle with that subject. I'm sure the adcoms will compare your score in that section to others and understand the difficulty that students have with QR.

I wouldn't worry too much. I would worry if it was anything lower than that. A 17 is not a great score..but everyone seems to struggle with that subject. I'm sure the adcoms will compare your score in that section to others and understand the difficulty that students have with QR.

Right, I thought 17 was okay but I am just worried that I had 21 for the first time and it went down (too much). But I am hoping that it won't have too much bad impact on my apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
The QR score isn't going to affect your chances of admission unless it's below 17. However, I'm interested to know about your other scores. Are they competitive enough?

The QR score isn't going to affect your chances of admission unless it's below 17. However, I'm interested to know about your other scores. Are they competitive enough?

I guess I could write out the whole score:

First DAT
PAT: 30
QR: 21
RC: 18
Bio: 19
GC: 19
OC: 19
TS: 19
AA: 19

Second DAT
PAT: 24
QR: 17
RC: 19
Bio: 20
GC: 26
OC: 22
TS: 22
AA: 21

I don't know if they are really competitive, but I am pretty happy with my new scores. I was just concerned about the QR score if they are too low.

That's not how it works...
a 16 in QR is barely worse than a 17. There is a spectrum with the higher score obviously being better. Schools do want to see high scores even in QR.

*Wasted 3000th post here*

Last edited:
That's not how it works...
a 16 in QR is barely worse than a 17. There is a spectrum with the higher score obviously being better. Schools do want to see high scores even in QR.

*Wasted 3000th post here*

I agree that they will look at the QR score too and expect good one. I am just hoping that the QR score does not have too much impact on my apps.

You know! Do what I did; call the admission office of various schools and find out for yourself. UCLA is my first choice, so I emailed them and they specifically told me that since they've seen a trend of lower QR scores over the last few years, as long as other scores are competitive enough, they will overlook your QR score. But since some of the posters here strongly believe that schools are looking for high QR score, I'd suggest you don't take my word for it; call and find out for yourself.
I'll try to make a screen-shot of that email and post it here.

Last edited:
You know! Do what I did; call the admission office of various schools and find out for yourself. UCLA is my first choice, so I called them and they specifically told me that since they've seen a trend of lower QR scores over the last few years, as long as other scores are competitive enough, they will overlook your QR score. But since some of the posters here strongly believe that schools are looking for high QR score, I'd suggest you don't take my word for it; call and find out for yourself.

You are correct. It's that simple. If you pull good scores (at least 19,preferably 20+) in the other sections you're fine

You know! Do what I did; call the admission office of various schools and find out for yourself. UCLA is my first choice, so I emailed them and they specifically told me that since they've seen a trend of lower QR scores over the last few years, as long as other scores are competitive enough, they will overlook your QR score. But since some of the posters here strongly believe that schools are looking for high QR score, I'd suggest you don't take my word for it; call and find out for yourself.

Thanks for your contribution. I will certainly do the same for my top listed schools!

As you see I have joined this forum a while ago and have been lurking for long time.
I just took my second DAT today.
I got 21 for QR for the first time a couple years back. But I really did bad today and got 17 :(
Since my score for QR section went down so much, I was wondering if this is really bad.
I don't know why but math part was so hard this time :mad:
My PAT score went down little bit too but overall I am pretty happy about what I got (of course except 17 on QR).

So, I am pretty sure all of the scores are important but... is my math score going to have effect on my application?

How did you study for the QR section?

I guess I could write out the whole score:

First DAT
PAT: 30
QR: 21
RC: 18
Bio: 19
GC: 19
OC: 19
TS: 19
AA: 19

Second DAT
PAT: 24
QR: 17
RC: 19
Bio: 20
GC: 26
OC: 22
TS: 22
AA: 21

I don't know if they are really competitive, but I am pretty happy with my new scores. I was just concerned about the QR score if they are too low.

Your scores are fine. Don't worry. And if they ask, just show them the QR score for the first exam. Your other score sections should make it fine.

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree with you. Anything below 17 is problematic. However you cannot underestimate qr by saying schools do not care about qr. They DO CARE about it (like all other sections). The difference between 16-17 and 20 is greater than the difference between 20 and 30. I think 17 is one of the lowest possible scores can be accepted by top notch schools.

Last edited:
I agree with you. Anything below 17 is problematic. However you cannot underestimate qr by saying schools do not care about qr. They DO CARE about it (like all other sections). The difference between 16-17 and 20 is greater than the difference between 20 to 30. I think 17 is one the lowest possible score can be accepted by top notch schools.

I'm simply stating what UCLA's admission coordinator told me in her e-mail. Nothing more, nothing less.

email%20screen-shot.JPG

Hopefully, this will resolve the issue!

i dont think it is that bad... i have a friend who had a 15 on QR and still got in early. but the TS was 20 AA was 19

#1, a 17 ain't bad at all (i got a 16 the first time, 14 the second time - and i still got 8 interviews, and 3 acceptances).

#2, sure u should have gone up seeing as how it's the second time, but that doesn't really apply to QR, MANY MANY schools NEVER mentioned my low QR, but when I mentioned it, they said "it's LOW, but your sciences went up tremendously, and that's what we typically see in most candidates that re-take the DAT"

so in other words..ur sceicnes are great and improved..so that is whats MOST important..good job! go celebrate, and i promise u u'll get many interviews if ur APPlication is in by July. good luck!

#1, a 17 ain't bad at all (i got a 16 the first time, 14 the second time - and i still got 8 interviews, and 3 acceptances).

#2, sure u should have gone up seeing as how it's the second time, but that doesn't really apply to QR, MANY MANY schools NEVER mentioned my low QR, but when I mentioned it, they said "it's LOW, but your sciences went up tremendously, and that's what we typically see in most candidates that re-take the DAT"

so in other words..ur sceicnes are great and improved..so that is whats MOST important..good job! go celebrate, and i promise u u'll get many interviews if ur APPlication is in by July. good luck!
This gives me life and hope thank you so much

Yes super old thread, class averages are def higher now. But I applied last cycle got below a 16 On QR and still got 6 interviews and accepted to a few schools. There is hope just as long as that's your only "bad" mark and you have other good things in your application.

@fdat94

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user