Took DAT Today. Need help deciding which schools to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BetaHelix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time applicant . Took the DAT today for the first time. I scored a 23AA 24TS 24RC 21PAT 20QR. Nothing under 20.

About me: I am a post-bach career changer. BA in Business Econ from UCI. Took my pre-reqs in a structured post bach at university level under a full science course load.

My overall GPA is around a 3.5. I don't know exactly yet however my post-bach GPA is a 4.0 having earned straight A's in all my science classes which is 42 units.

I have a few hundred hours volunteering in a hospital. 1 hear (100 hours) volunteering at a free dental clinic (lots of hands on) and I served a as a club chairman on campus last year. Also served as a mentor for some foster youth.

LOR's from my Pre-Health Committee (A letter packet) from the program. OCHEM instructor and general dentist I shadowed.

The Bad: undergraduate overall GPA in the 3.3 range. However have strong upward trend in all recent classes all science. Have a few D's I retook ages ago at CC.
Also I ended up taking Ochem 1 and 2 at a community college which will DQ me from a few schools. However I scored a 26OCHEM score on the DAT maybe that will alleviate any doubts I did in fact learn the material.

Also I have not taken Microbio, Anatomy, Physiology, or Biochem. To date I have a year in Bio, year in General Chem, Year in phyics and a year in ochem all with labs. I probably will need to take a few final Pre-reqs next year for some schools.

I am a 29 year white male CA resident.

I need to compile a list of schools to apply to.. Also would like to know my chances regarding these.
UCLA - Need Biochem
LECOM-Need Biochem
USC
Western University
Loma Linda - Need Biochem
UOP- Need a few BIO Classes
NOVA Dental- Need Microbio and Biochem
Roseman Dental Need a few BIO
NYU
Columbia? Is this within reach?

What are some other schools considering my state residency? Also I'd rather not have to take a WHOLE tone of other pre-reqs like I would need at Midwestern Etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Columbia is within reach with your solid DAT. I would apply to UCSF because of your residency. I'd also take out LECOM and maybe Roseman to replace them with some schools like Pitt and Marquette. Those schools are cheaper and accept a lot of out of staters. Good luck and great job on the DAT!

Reactions: 1 user
Being a cali resident, I'd even apply to two of those texas schools with those DAT scores(not the heavy science required one). I'd even apply to UB and Stony Brook. You have great scores, you can have the opportunity to attend another state school if you're willing to move and save money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd add state schools that give OOS tuition after a year like Ohio and Iowa. With those stats, I'd apply to a lot of schools and see which ones give you the best scholarship/net price.

Thanks guys! What about some out of state public schools? What are my chances at UCLA or UCSF?

Apply to public schools that offer in-state after one year. A few were already mentioned, and don't forget UCSF since you're already in-state, but another and even less expensive school is UConn. Your TS score will send positive vibes since they primarily look for applicants with strong science scores to do well in their intense BMS curriculum. Try your best to avoid any more private schools (if you can get in anywhere else, and I believe you could) because they will just screw you over with debt.

I wouldn't get too hung up on whether you took courses at a CC or not. I took bio 1/2 chem 1/2 and ochem 1/2 at CC and still got interviews.