Took MCAT twice, unpredicatble results. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scimmione

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took my first MCAT in July, took the second MCAT in August.
sGPA: 3.55
1st MCAT: VR - 8, BS - 6, PS - 6, Total - 20L
2nd MCAT: VR - 6, BS - 9, PS - 8, Total - 23M

Practice AAMC's were between 26-31

What are my chances? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

You're seriously going to have to retake unless you can pull a well balanced MCAT score > 25, I really don't see this happening. Your VR and PS section are both pretty weak. Plus you've just listed your stats and listed nothing else about your application at all. Therefore, assuming you have mediocre ECs and LORs I will say that this is definitely not happening this year. Take some time retake and try to apply early next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't waste your money with that MCAT score, 23 will definitely not get you into DO or MD schools even if you had excruciating circumstances. People think DO schools are extremely easy to get into but honestly that's not the case. DO schools cut you some slack but 23 with those sub-scores is going to murder any chances you have. Retake for the win and apply early next year.

Concur with this poster. Your scores wouldn't even rate an interview at my school, and even if we made a composite, I have plenty of AdCom colleagues who see right through that and would reject you out of hand. There's some fairly convincing data that show poor performance on boards and risk of flunking out of medical school goes hand in hand with poor MCAT performance. We want to see 25 and higher.

You're seriously going to have to retake unless you can pull a well balanced MCAT score > 25, I really don't see this happening. Your VR and PS section are both pretty weak. Plus you've just listed your stats and listed nothing else about your application at all. Therefore, assuming you have mediocre ECs and LORs I will say that this is definitely not happening this year. Take some time retake and try to apply early next year.

I know several people who got in with 20-24 MCAT last year. GPA around yours, too. You don't know until you've heard from a school.

PS: Being an URM does help a lot, but some of the mentioned people aren't URMs.

Last edited: