Took my first FL :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted585480

Hello,

So I am applying to podiatry school, and I'm hoping for a 500+ but I don't think a point or two below that would kill me, and I was planning on taking the MCAT on Aug 25th. But this was my Score:

Next Step FL 2
C/P: 120 (7 percentile)
CARS: 127 (81 percentile)
Bio: 121 (14 percentile)
Behavioral Sciences: 125 (55 percentile)

Total: 493.

I just felt extremely challenged in the science sections. A lot of the terminology seemed over my head, I had trouble figuring out how to read the passages and then either find an answer in the passage or bring in outside knowledge to answer the passage.

I know a lot of the physics problems I missed because of not being able to convert units or remember the formula, and I know a lot of the orgo questions I missed are things I can go over and fix.

But I'm not sure If I should use this test date or go to Sept 10th? Pod admissions is rolling but I've been studying off and on since the middle of May so I'm ready to be over with this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

how long have you been studying for?

This isn't about interpreting graphs/reading passages since you got a 127 in cars.

You have huge gaps in content review. You have to hit the books again and extend your date to jan.

how long have you been studying for?

This isn't about interpreting graphs/reading passages since you got a 127 in cars.

You have huge gaps in content review. You have to hit the books again and extend your date to jan.

I started studying middle of may. I really just have a basic overview of the sciences, I don't have much memorized at all tbh. but I just don't think I understand how to attack the science passages. Do I need to mainly try to find an answer with outside knowledge or do I need to use the passages for the most part? I have extreme difficulties with that.

and extending to jan would suck :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I read the kaplan books as the only thing really. I just took the standard pre med reqs and then microbio

never had biochem tho

You can't just read. I made that mistake.
You have to understand things very deeply. I took a nextstep fl and didn't like the score I got so went back to content review again for a month. I made/am making flashcards for biology/biochem and psychology and I'm doing BR practice passages for the physical sciences. Going to start fls and KA Biology and psychology passages soon. I feel a lot more confident about everything.

Don't treat this as a sprint, treat it as a marathon and I guarantee you'll succeed. Fail..try again...fail..try again. You will soon realize that you are making less and less mistakes. That's how you become successful.

Last edited:
Second what premed said. Have to actively participate. Making notes. anki cards (I did this).
I used MCAT Jelly's study schedule. Was PERFECT for me. Stretched it to ~115 days for me (I work full-time). Took the minimum pre-reqs + human phys, genetics and biochemistry. Scored 80th percentile.

Biochemistry was probably the MOST important class for this exam. Seriously. Mine helped me wreck that section.

You can't just read. I made that mistake.
You have to understand things very deeply. I took a nextstep fl and didn't like the score I got so went back to content review again for a month. I made/am making flashcards for biology/biochem and psychology and I'm doing BR practice passages for the physical sciences. Going to start fls and KA Biology and psychology passages soon. I feel a lot more confident about everything.

Don't treat this as a sprint, treat it as a marathon and I guarantee you'll succeed. Fail..try again...fail..try again. You will soon realize that you are making less and less mistakes. That's how you become successful.

So I should move it back to Sept 10th?

IYO?

So I should move it back to Sept 10th?

IYO?

I don't know the average mcat for pod students.
But I would move it back to Jan if it were me (md/do).

Do some research on average accepted mcat for pod schools and then see if you can reach that in a month. If you think you can't, then I would extend.
I think >495 will get you accepted to pod but I'm not 100% sure.

I don't know the average mcat for pod students.
But I would move it back to Jan if it were me (md/do).

Do some research on average accepted mcat for pod schools and then see if you can reach that in a month. If you think you can't, then I would extend.
I think >495 will get you accepted to pod but I'm not 100% sure.

a 498+ would have me pretty comfortable with my chances. I think a 500+ would guarantee I'd be fine.

a 498+ would have me pretty comfortable with my chances. I think a 500+ would guarantee I'd be fine.
With exam 30 days out, ideally you should be just taking practice exams/questions at this point. I would postpone since it seems best thing for you would be ~ 2 months of content review. I reccomend examkrackers..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

It seems like you are over the test mentally at this point. So seeing as you don't have a "I would do anything to improve" attitude, just focus on you weaker score. If you only care about a couple points to get you to 498-500 then go ahead and stay with the current test date. But just remember this, most people are not good test performers and you have to account for lack of sleep and nerves to drop you down a couple points. You can always retake the test, but a low score can kill your confidence. If you change your mind and decide to take the time to meticulously bring up your score then move it to Jan, but if not there's not much improvement to be made between Aug and sept.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk