Took Naplex on the 18th and Passed. Here's my advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grace100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Came out of the exam feeling very rough!! I thought i had failed. Could not even remember if i got any questions right. It was Horrific!!!

The first 6 questions were all on statistics. I was shocked BUT REFUSED TO BE BOTHERED BY THIS . I briefly looked at stats during my studies but not in depth as i was required to know. These were not the normal statistics questions i was used to but interpretation of results. They were Very wordy questions with tables etc and to be honest i didnt want to waste my time on them. So i guessed them all. I think they were about 6 or 7 questions.

Got questions from different therapuetic classes. Nothing really specific.

I mainy used the following resources:
  • APHA book
  • Rx Prep
  • had the CPR from my FPGEE days so skimmed through. I practiced all the questions in all 3 books and got the Kaplan question bank.
  • The CPR has a practice exam book which was very useful for profile questions
  • Took the pre naplex. First time i didnt finish as i was way too slow and had technical problems with the website and then took it the second time two weeks apart and scored high. The pre naplex was an eye opener for me i felt it was a bit easier than the real exam, but then everyone's experience is different.
I was so anxious as i thought i had failed but i found an article from the US pharmacist that says that you need to get 60% correct to be able to achieve a passing score of 75. So i was a bit hopeful
http://www.uspharmacist.com/content/s/57/c/12384/

I studied for 2 and a half months as i could not take things for granted. I am a foriegn pharmacist so i knew i had alot of work to do.
I studied hard and prayed harder and passed with a good score. I thank God because He favoured me.!!!

For those taking the exam please finish the exam!! it is extremely important. I finished 25 minutes before time was up. Not because i knew all the questions but i was advised by collegues at work to make sure i finish. I refused to be phased by the difficult questions!! i made educated and uneducated guesses. You dont have to pace through the exam as i did. i was just too time conscious and was scared that i wouldnt finish so i worked very quickly and wasted no time on questions i could not answer.

This forum has been extremely useful. I have gotten tonnes of tips just by reading other people's experience and thought i should share mine since i had benefited from others.

Study hard and pray hard and Good luck!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Keemman

Unfortunately i will not be selling any of my books as my sister will need them in a few months

hi..u said your sister is taking the naplex in few months? does she need a study partner?

Hey Grace 100..

I took the naplex last Friday and I am soo scared that i might have failed. Just cant stop thinking about a few questions that i missed. The thing is, I know i definitely got some answers right as well. So I don't know what to think. The first thing I am worried about is that I was not able to to figure out the answer for about 4 math questions. One i made an educated guess..and the other 3 i could not figure out. Also, towards the end of my exam, not all the questions were hard. Some i knew and some I had to guess. I am scared because it is a computer adaptive exam. I did finish in time, about 1-2 minutes before because i knew that time was important as well. Well right now I am just so worried and I don't know what to do with myself. Just hoping for the best, and hopefully things will work out for me like they did for you. If I don't pass, I will be verryyy upset because i thoroughly studied. Please message back if you get a chance.

I took the exam on friday too (April, 1)

Felt horrible coming out.

I was very well prepared this time.

I felt like the same way too. Don't worry too much about it. You both maybe pleasantly surprised!!!

I cried after the exam because i had put in so much time in studying but i passed with a good score despite the fact i guessed some of the questions.

I didnt get all the maths questions correct. I could not find my answer on 2 of the questions and who knows if i got the others correct so dont worry coco8629.

Just hope and pray for the best!!! Read the article on the US pharmacist website i was a bit relived when i read the article about getting 60% correct.

Fingers crossed for both of you!!! i am sure you will do just fine!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. I actually took the exam on March 25th, and I am still waiting for the results. I has been horrible to wait over a week for the results. Just been sitting here miserable :( Right now I am praying and hoping for the best, but can not help but think of the worst happening as well. Hopefully all goes well. I did read the article, and it made me feel a little better. Oh yea, I also had a few stat questions - it was a few questions based on a specific study. I think i was able to get the right answer for a couple of them, not sure though

Screen -how was your experience?

coco-- which state are you in?

Depending on the state you must have already got the score online!

The article is old. It is not based on the new structure for NAPLEX, which started in March 2010, but was enforced completely after september 2010. I personally don't think watever applied to NAPLEX prior to that applies now.

I'm in VA and am hoping to see my score online today. It was 2 business days the last time when i took the exam in Dec 2010.

Last edited:
I also took the NAPLEX on the 25th and have not heard back yet. I took the NAPLEX in California but my home state is IL. I am also nervous about the results. I just hope I passed. I keep checking the mail and online, but no luck yet.

I am from NJ. They have made some recent changes in releasing the scores here. On the website it says approximately even business days, so i should ave received something by today, but still nothing. I called the board and they told me they had some technical difficulties but i should find out sometime this week..this is pure torture!!!

I really hope i pass because this is becoming unbearable..and on top of that thinking that i might have failed..ahhhh :(

I took NAPLEX on March 14th in California and still have not heard anything from the CA board of pharmacy. I called NABP and they conformed that they sent my result to CA BOP. I can not reach anyone at CA BOP to check my result for naplex. Is this normal? I heard from many people that they got thier NAPLEX result w/in a week!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I found out I passed! Now I have to wait for my MPJE results for IL. I applied to take the CPJE a month ago and have yet to hear from the california bop.

Wow, congrats.

The wait begins. Assuming the board is running on a delayed schedule of releasing results.

If you took the exam on the 25th and got it today (5th), its about 10 days.

I will probably get mine by the 10th.

Do you mind letting us know how you got your result- through online or through your state board?
Thanks

In IL they have a 3rd party that takes care of the exam requests and licensing. I found out through their website (continental testing). It's weird I know. Either way NABP would have had to send the scores to the il bop and the il bop to this 3rd party (at least I think how that works). it was very nerve racking, glad i'm done with it. Just keep up the hope and good luck to all!

Congrats Screen!

I called the board today, and they told me that there was a delay in the testing center sending them information, so i will likely find out in a couple days. still hoping for the best.

Screen - What study materials did u use? I used RxPrep 2011 and prontopass mostly. Also used Apha only for certain chapters and the Appleton and Lange book. How was ur exam??

Congrats Screen!

I called the board today, and they told me that there was a delay in the testing center sending them information, so i will likely find out in a couple days. still hoping for the best.

Screen - What study materials did u use? I used RxPrep 2011 and prontopass mostly. Also used Apha only for certain chapters and the Appleton and Lange book. How was ur exam??

From the sounds of it, the average person here bought 3-5 different study books/references to prep for the NAPLEX. Was it really necessary to drop that kind of $$ on study material for a test that 90+% of pharmacy students pass on their first try?

or maybe the average person in this thread didn't pass on their first try?

Congrats Screen!

exclusively passnaplexnow.

Totally worth it.

I used RxPrep. It worked for me. I think just pick 1 book and stick with it. No need to buy a bunch of prep books.

Well its all individual on how many book to use. If you think you only need one source then use one, but if you like to switch things up then use multiple sources. I used Rxprep as my main source, and used prontopass to switch things up. I mainly used Apha for the questions at the end of the chapters and i also used A&L for the questions.

and I'm still waiting..this is so bad....

The web site is updating data. You should have been able to check online by this time for NJ.

I got my score online

From the sounds of it, the average person here bought 3-5 different study books/references to prep for the NAPLEX. Was it really necessary to drop that kind of $$ on study material for a test that 90+% of pharmacy students pass on their first try?

I would use 1-2 sources, plus any good notes you had from school. I liked using 2 books to get a different writing style/level of detail depending on what I knew. It was also helpful if I didn't understand something or thought one book was wrong (it happens). I would have been fine with 1 book though.

For law, I definitely suggest the federal law book mentioned in these forums. I forget who wrote it, but it is easy to read with most of the important material. It sold out on Amazon etc last summer so buy it early or borrow from a friend.

Screen - I have been checking online everyday, and i called them multiple times. They told me that there was a delay in the board receiving some information from the testing center, and they didn't receive it from the testing center until a few days after my test since they have been in the middle of making changes, so ill find out in the next 1 or 2 business days.

How did you think your test went overall?? What was the difficulty of your math questions?

Screen - I have been checking online everyday, and i called them multiple times. They told me that there was a delay in the board receiving some information from the testing center, and they didn't receive it from the testing center until a few days after my test since they have been in the middle of making changes, so ill find out in the next 1 or 2 business days.

How did you think your test went overall?? What was the difficulty of your math questions?

I had no problems with math. I did them with 99% accuracy. One of the problems I did not know the formula.

My only problem was I had about 25 questions on statistics and about 15 questions on 2 drugs i have never heard of (patient profiles)

I did not have any Q from major categories, like CVS, HIV, DM etc

I just found out i passed!!!!!!!!!! For all those who are doubting themselves..study hard and you will pass. Feel free to ask if you have any questions...this is the happiest day of my life!!!!!!!!!:D

Anyone interested in buying study materials from me? I am selling a new RxPrep book and a new prontopass kit including posters, flash cards, and math practice flash cards, all of which were really helpful. If you are interested contact me ASAP. Thanks!

Anyone interested in buying study materials from me? I am selling a new RxPrep book and a new prontopass kit including posters, flash cards, and math practice flash cards, all of which were really helpful. If you are interested contact me ASAP. Thanks!

Can I get RxPrep book if you still have it? What edition do you have?
Thanks,

Hi everyone,

Congrats on those who passed and good luck to those who is still awaiting scores. I'm going to be a P3 student (5th year student) and was thinking of starting to study for the part 3. I'm in NY and I would have enough intern hours to take part 3 (compounding and written) early. I was hoping someone can recommend some books for me to start studying for the writing and any other suggestions for the compounding as well. I finished all the compounding classes for my schooling but have one more year of classes and another year of rotations. Suggestions and ideas would be great!

My prenaplex score was 61. I am an average student . I took naplex on 19th and got my score today, it was "25"
I was hoping to pass but this was totally astonishing. Anyone else here got such low score? Should I go for a rescoring? Please suggest.