Took Naplex today - math questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

horseridinggirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the Naplex Today. Should I be freaking out that I had ALOT of math. Over 30 questions at least - yet I practiced and felt VERY fast and very comfortable with it. I don't feel good at all, that along with the over 10 stupid mistakes I know I made, does everyone feel like they fail leaving? I've counted up enough questions that I know I didn't get, I'm nervous. And why would I have so much math?

Members don't see this ad.

My experience was very similar - I am not sure what it means. I will find out whether I passed maybe in couple weeks, which is very annoying for me.

Can I ask why you have to wait so long to find out? I thought it was 3-7 days? I'm just very confused, and it caused me to run short on time, which caused me to not do as well on other aspects on the test.

it takes about a week (maybe more) to get your results in the mail. i took had a lot of math questions so dont worry about it. i definitely felt that way when i took the test. it takes a lot of stamina to sit for that long taking a test.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can access test scores online in 20 states or so. Unfortunately, my state is a little backwards and I have to wait for couple of weeks to get a letter from the board saying whether I passed my tests or not. It all depends on your state and its rules.

You can access test scores online in 20 states or so. Unfortunately, my state is a little backwards and I have to wait for couple of weeks to get a letter from the board saying whether I passed my tests or not. It all depends on your state and its rules.

What types of math did you all most frequently encounter? Is it more practice based (drip rates, etc), or not so common stuff (mOsm, mEq calculations)?

I took the Naplex yesterday and got 26 math problems (yes i counted them :)). They varied from drip rates, mEq, Na equivalence, alligations, and I had one on vancomycin elimination half-life and and one on trituration (I know for sure that I didn't get the last two since I didn't expect those questions and hence didn't study them :().

I'm really nervous too!:scared:

I took the NAPLEX yesterday as well. A huge portion of my exam was math. I didn't count, but I can remember over 20 different calculation problems. Maybe yesterday was math day for the NAPLEX. Alligation, drip rate, isotonicity, mEq, TPN calculations (grams of protein, quantity in mL of electrolytes, kcals) etc. I was really suprised to get so many math questions. I hope I passed, I felt fairly confident when I left that I got enough right to pass.

Some individuals have told me that if you start to get multiple questions along the same/similar topic, you should start getting concerned and double-check your work because the computer will detect that you don't know a certain topic & will start asking you more. Has anyone else heard of this and do you know if this is the case? Thank you!

I heard this too. But I was very very confident with the math. The only there was one I wasn't three at the very end (I had 4 math questions alone in the last 12 questions of the test) that I just simply had to pick a bubble and go due to time - but I would have known how to do them. But other than that I felt confident.

My answers that Did have bubbles available were spot on - Many were fill in the blank.

My test was just odd... It was ALL dosage forms and FDA approvals on different drugs or indications - it was NOT much patient profiles - APHA did NOT help me - it was ALL dosage forms, I felt really really cheated and horrible about the whole experience. I think I more than likely didn't pass due to not knowing a chewable tablet.......

The only there was one I wasn't three at the very end

At first I was like...
confused.gif

Then I was like...
2ldceqb.gif

I thought about
1252796864582.gif

But it was too late. I was already...
colber_sg-1.gif

And finally
20100108063328%21Exploding-head.gif

But I'll cut you some slack. That test must be a beast, and I'm sure I'll be the same way after I'm done.

Reactions: 1 user
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm literally cracking up over MOM's reply.

I heard this too. But I was very very confident with the math. The only there was one I wasn't three at the very end (I had 4 math questions alone in the last 12 questions of the test) that I just simply had to pick a bubble and go due to time - but I would have known how to do them. But other than that I felt confident.

My answers that Did have bubbles available were spot on - Many were fill in the blank.

My test was just odd... It was ALL dosage forms and FDA approvals on different drugs or indications - it was NOT much patient profiles - APHA did NOT help me - it was ALL dosage forms, I felt really really cheated and horrible about the whole experience. I think I more than likely didn't pass due to not knowing a chewable tablet.......

I had the same experience as you. Man, those annoying fill-in-the blanks calculations slowed me the hell down because I was double-checking like crazy. And they were like 6 of them on my test. All my friends too had about the same amount of calculations and they passed big. So, it was not because you were getting them wrong, the exam is going to be like that for most people. If you know whats good for you, study the 120 calculations questions floating around. I had like 2 bunny ones towards the end but had to just quickly pick answers 'cos time was running out. I felt so horrible! I wish I could just see the result so that I can be out of my misery. All my family members are already scared to come near me because am always cranky.

Do you have the link for the math questions? Or would you mind emailing them to me? Test coming up this Friday :wow::barf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have the link for the math questions? Or would you mind emailing them to me? Test coming up this Friday :wow::barf:

I suggest you get them done ASAP then. Goodluck!

Attachments

• Calc Problem Collection (1).pdf
    222.3 KB · Views: 2,128
Dear horseridingirl and all participants:

Thank you so much for this advice. I knew that calculations was a big part of the test, but it looks that is getting more a weight each month. It is the same with doses . Naplex is looking more and more similar to CPJE.

Beehappy

Passed my NAPLEX guys, narrowly but I'll take it. Now on to MPJE. Goodluck to the rest of you guys that are yet to take it. Remember, just relax and practice these calculation stuffs very well. I might not have passed without it.

I passed to, Did better than I thought and it was the calculations that carried me. You should be know the MW of KCL, NaCl ect by heart, Isotenisity problems in a minute... Most of it is converting a weight, then given a getting a dose and drip rate from a concentration - alot of that. but you may be converting mEq ect. And get fast at converting between tsp ect or mcg to mg or ml L - do those 120 problems. And don't get upset on the test, And read it carefully so you don't start doing calculations you don't need to (may want to read what their getting at first (the question)).

How long will a bottle last ect.

Also, there is a PDF form floating around here somewhere that someone posted that has Over 200 questions with answers (not math) but it asks A lot it really sheds light on what you know as far as storage on drugs ect - it REALLY helped me - I'd try to find that.... Good luck!!!

I passed to, Did better than I thought and it was the calculations that carried me. You should be know the MW of KCL, NaCl ect by heart, Isotenisity problems in a minute... Most of it is converting a weight, then given a getting a dose and drip rate from a concentration - alot of that. but you may be converting mEq ect. And get fast at converting between tsp ect or mcg to mg or ml L - do those 120 problems. And don't get upset on the test, And read it carefully so you don't start doing calculations you don't need to (may want to read what their getting at first (the question)).

How long will a bottle last ect.

Also, there is a PDF form floating around here somewhere that someone posted that has Over 200 questions with answers (not math) but it asks A lot it really sheds light on what you know as far as storage on drugs ect - it REALLY helped me - I'd try to find that.... Good luck!!!

This one????
http://www.rphworld.com/pharmacist/viewlink-25491.html

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone done the calculations in the APhA review. There are two questions regarding making a prescription isotonic and calculating all this using freezing points. No offense, but I'm a little slower at this than I think the NAPLEX allows for me to be.

Anyone who has already taken the NAPLEX - did you have any of these problems on there?

Last edited:
I took mine yesterday, I had like 20-25 math questions I believe...I know for sure I missed 3 or 4 atleast, i hope this does not spell doom for me already since I've heard math might be weighted more. Also does anyone have experience, if they keep asking the same profile person that your not answering that series of questions right?, i'm just so anxious and nervous....my second time taking it and absolutely need a passing score somehow god willing....please everyone keep me in your prayers, thank you!

I'll be praying for you, had a friend with the same profile "Thing" and she passed fine. After I took mine, I was EASILY able to go through and count up 15 questions I KNOW i missed - just by me and my I-Pod (via lexicomp) late at night, and felt SURE I failed, I KNEW it. And I analyzed everything about the experience. Just have faith that you did the work that you needed to do to do. And if anything happens its just a test. But I'm sure you did fine.

Let us Know!!!

I passsseddddddd!!!!, did a lot better then I thought I did to!!, ahh one of the greatest feelings ever!!, thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers horseridinggirl, now just need to get pass the FL MPJE this Friday and can finally start my dream as a working Pharmacist, please continue to keep my in your prayers and as I will yours!, tc!! :)

Hey guys, I took the NAPLEX Friday and I have been freaking out just like everyone says.... Fill in the blanks!!! Anyway, I've started to calm down a bit but I was just wondering (I guess more for peace of mind) when you entered your answers in the fill in the blank questions, what would happen if you didn't precede the decimal amount with a zero? ie: .xxx instead of 0.xxx??? Would it be counted as incorrect? I didn't do the tutorial at the beginning of the test so I don't know if it was something that was required....:scared:

Like I said I just started to calm down a bit and i just realized that for some answers, I didn't include the leading zero!! Hope to be added to the "Passed" group...

Thanx,

Antonrx

You can check your NAPLEX score on the website. It took 3 business days from the date of your exam to get your result. You should have your score sometimes next week.

I had a lot of math questions too, and I felt the same way when I walk out the exam room, but I passed with a decent score. You should be fine too.

I just took the Naplex today. I really struggled with the calculations and the HIV. I am positive I failed. I feel awful I really let myself down. I really feel awful like sick to my stomach.

I just down loaded the 120 calculations on this site. Hope that helps for the next go round. Just got start studying for the MJPE I take in a week.

just took Naplex and it was brutal. the calculations killed me, especially the fill in the blanks. i likely failed, I heard that you have to do well on calculations too in order to pass. i used rexprep and it wasn't enough to prep me for the calculationss part. i feel like if i can't pass the Naplex test, i'm unlikely to pass the CPJE so should not even bother with that test until i pass Naplex, since I hear that CPJE is way harder. What do people think about that thought process. I think i may also invest in prontopass, any suggestions. now i must go dig a hole somewhere and place my incompetent self in there.

just took Naplex and it was brutal. the calculations killed me, especially the fill in the blanks. i likely failed, I heard that you have to do well on calculations too in order to pass. i used rexprep and it wasn't enough to prep me for the calculationss part. i feel like if i can't pass the Naplex test, i'm unlikely to pass the CPJE so should not even bother with that test until i pass Naplex, since I hear that CPJE is way harder. What do people think about that thought process. I think i may also invest in prontopass, any suggestions. now i must go dig a hole somewhere and place my incompetent self in there.

I think you should go ahead and try to take the CPJE. The law questions are very few and tend to be easy. The clinical questions are like everyday questions you get in a RETAIL pharmacy, although I did get 2-3 hospital pharmacy related questions. You are going to have to wait 3 months anyways to take the NAPLEX again if you did FAIL, which I HIGHLY doubt. I felt like shiit when I took it and I passed with NO room to spare, exactly a 75.

3 cents, FTW!:)

if you read around the site and asked individuals that actually took the CPJE this year, it was a lot easier than naplex.

the questions are more straight forward and straight to the point. No looking through a stupid profile to look for this and that. They ask a question and you answer it.

I had one calculation and it was beyond easy. Rxprep type of easy calculation. You don't have to do well on the calculations to pass, my friend who didn't study calculations guessed on 20 out of the 25 questions he had on math and he passed with a 105. He did however do well on the questions because that's his strong points.

Also, if you take the CPJE early and the unlikely chance that you fail, by the time the score release, you can take it again without waiting that 91 days to retake.

I bought the ebay "pharmacy charts" and found that was a great resource to study from after i read the rxprep twice and didn't touch it any more. well except to just review some charts they had.

that's my 2cents

I bought the ebay "pharmacy charts" and found that was a great resource to study from after i read the rxprep twice and didn't touch it any more. well except to just review some charts they had.

that's my 2cents

Can you please post the link to the the pharmacy charts? Thank you so much!

I can't open the PDF file for the 120 calculations questions can anybody help me out plzzzzz
To Alawieh,
After you asked, I could download and open "120 CALCULATION QUESTION" posted by poster called "breeze2baby" in this thread on 06-16-2011, 07:21 PM, with filename "Calc Problem Collection (1).pdf" (222.3 KB, 529 views).

If you downloaded the same file, then, your computer is the focus. Maybe you need a PDF VIEWER from www.adobe.com, they give FREE viewer called "ACROBAT READER".

To learnerSharer

Thanks for your help.
Im taking the Naplex in couple weeks, the main book im focusing on is APHA and the lange Q&A do you think thats enough? Have you taken the Naplex?

hi all,

what do you guys think of passnaplex course. has anyone been on one and what was the outcome. sitting naplex soon and was recommended this course:rolleyes:

Also how easy is it to use the calculator and view profiles on the computer during the exam.