Took Naplex today!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx1279

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I took my MPJE almost 3 weeks ago and took NAPLEX today. I still don't have my MPJE score yet! Anyway, I thought it went pretty well- thought it would be so much worse. I did have many difficult questions, but then I had some pretty easy questions too. Despite what I've heard from classmates, I actually had a lot of math! It was relatively easy math though, so I hope those questions are weighted more!
I'm nervous though because someone told me she thought it was easy and she ended up failing!! I'm not saying it was easy, but it wasn't as ugly as I'd heard. So, with that being said, I hope I passed! Wish me luck, guys!

I'd be happy to answer any questions, as it's fresh in my mind :D

Members don't see this ad.

Well, good luck on your results. Could you plz tell me what were your main topics? Any cancer/hiv/vaccines/otc/book references etc? How bad/good were questions on antibiotics? Any help is appreciated. I'm taking mine soon...

Ok, I took my MPJE almost 3 weeks ago and took NAPLEX today. I still don't have my MPJE score yet! Anyway, I thought it went pretty well- thought it would be so much worse. I did have many difficult questions, but then I had some pretty easy questions too. Despite what I've heard from classmates, I actually had a lot of math! It was relatively easy math though, so I hope those questions are weighted more!
I'm nervous though because someone told me she thought it was easy and she ended up failing!! I'm not saying it was easy, but it wasn't as ugly as I'd heard. So, with that being said, I hope I passed! Wish me luck, guys!

I'd be happy to answer any questions, as it's fresh in my mind :D

Well, good luck on your results. Could you plz tell me what were your main topics? Any cancer/hiv/vaccines/otc/book references etc? How bad/good were questions on antibiotics? Any help is appreciated. I'm taking mine soon...

I didn't really have any concentrated areas on my exam, but I would suggest being familiar with HIV meds- know class toxicities. As far as references, I had one question on bioequivalence references. There were several questions on vaccines, cancer and just a handful on OTC's (just had to know main ingredients). Most of the exam were patient cases, so I would practice doing some patient cases in Lange or APhA book, just to familiarize yourself with it. I didn't focus too much on ABX and I didn't regret it- there weren't too many questions and the ones they asked were pretty straight-forward. You can PM me if you have more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took naplex this afternoon!

I generally just lurk here, but I figured I'd post some info so perhaps someone could benefit from my experience. Everyone's been pretty awesome about giving their insight, so I figure if anyone can benefit from my insight, so much the better.

Overall, it's like what pretty much everyone has said--it's a lot of drugs, a lot of doses, and lots of name brands. For my preparation I pretty much used Prontopass and also the APHA book. Going in I felt like I knew the top 200 brands pretty well, although I wasn't comfortable with all the doses, dosage forms, etc.

I had about 10 math questions. They were all pretty simple: NaCl equivalent, ratio, percentages (I think about 3 percent questions at least) and some kinetics. There were 2 questions where you had to figure out the half life. There was one question where you had to figure out the loading dose, and one question where you had to figure out what rate to give the drug considering the desired concentration, Vd, etc.

I didn't really have too many diagnosis type questions like some of the other posters had. A few times I had to pick which disease state the drug was for, so you'd have to look at the patient's profile, look at the "diagnosis" part, and then figure out which diagnosis the drug was for.

I had 1 stats question, and also one question regarding the phases in drug testing/research.

For compounding, I think I had about 3 questions. I also had a few questions regarding sterility of products/autoclaving/dry heat/etc.

I didn't have many OTC type questions.

There was quite a bit on asthma, HTN, heart disease.

Oh, and I swear there were about 5 questions about olanzapine. I have no idea why, probably because I didn't study that drug too much. But yeah, there were questions regarding the dosage, dosage form, etc.

The awful part about the exam is the computer adaptive part. I'd get a really easy question (what to tell a patient regarding NTG) and I'd be thinking, oh no, I must have gotten a LOT wrong to get a question that simple. But at the same time, I was elated to have a really simple question!

The best part: no HIV drugs, only one chemo question, no brutal kinetics (the kinetics that showed up was easy), and no crazy tricks. For the most part the question were pretty straightforward. With the math, just be sure to look at the answers and see if they are in grams or milligrams.

Oh, and the biggest WTF question had to do with support stockings. I was like, wait, isn't this a pharmacy exam????

Overall, if I had to take it again (oh please no) I would definitely focus on brand names, indications, MOA, and doses/dosage form. A lot of the stuff in the APHA book is totally worthless. Like I said above, I did use Prontopass and APHA to study. I was using mostly prontopass, then about a week before the exam I panicked and felt that I didn't really know enough, so I started going through the book. I think my time would have been better spent REALLY learning the doses and dosage forms.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer your questions.

Hopefully I passed! I'm hanging on to my Prontopass until I find out for sure...

I took naplex this afternoon!

I generally just lurk here, but I figured I'd post some info so perhaps someone could benefit from my experience. Everyone's been pretty awesome about giving their insight, so I figure if anyone can benefit from my insight, so much the better.

Overall, it's like what pretty much everyone has said--it's a lot of drugs, a lot of doses, and lots of name brands. For my preparation I pretty much used Prontopass and also the APHA book. Going in I felt like I knew the top 200 brands pretty well, although I wasn't comfortable with all the doses, dosage forms, etc.

I had about 10 math questions. They were all pretty simple: NaCl equivalent, ratio, percentages (I think about 3 percent questions at least) and some kinetics. There were 2 questions where you had to figure out the half life. There was one question where you had to figure out the loading dose, and one question where you had to figure out what rate to give the drug considering the desired concentration, Vd, etc.

I didn't really have too many diagnosis type questions like some of the other posters had. A few times I had to pick which disease state the drug was for, so you'd have to look at the patient's profile, look at the "diagnosis" part, and then figure out which diagnosis the drug was for.

I had 1 stats question, and also one question regarding the phases in drug testing/research.

For compounding, I think I had about 3 questions. I also had a few questions regarding sterility of products/autoclaving/dry heat/etc.

I didn't have many OTC type questions.

There was quite a bit on asthma, HTN, heart disease.

Oh, and I swear there were about 5 questions about olanzapine. I have no idea why, probably because I didn't study that drug too much. But yeah, there were questions regarding the dosage, dosage form, etc.

The awful part about the exam is the computer adaptive part. I'd get a really easy question (what to tell a patient regarding NTG) and I'd be thinking, oh no, I must have gotten a LOT wrong to get a question that simple. But at the same time, I was elated to have a really simple question!

The best part: no HIV drugs, only one chemo question, no brutal kinetics (the kinetics that showed up was easy), and no crazy tricks. For the most part the question were pretty straightforward. With the math, just be sure to look at the answers and see if they are in grams or milligrams.

Oh, and the biggest WTF question had to do with support stockings. I was like, wait, isn't this a pharmacy exam????

Hopefully I passed! I'm hanging on to my Prontopass until I find out for sure...

Do you think Prontopass is worth it???
I am taking the naplex on 29th of this month and i been hearing,that APha book is useless.. So far APha book is the only main resource that i have.
I took the prenaplex 1 week ago, and i got 81.(test range of 55-101).
do u think i should just review Apha and go for it??
please any advice from test takers is apperciated :)

Thanks

Do you think Prontopass is worth it???
I am taking the naplex on 29th of this month and i been hearing,that APha book is useless.. So far APha book is the only main resource that i have.
I took the prenaplex 1 week ago, and i got 81.(test range of 55-101).
do u think i should just review Apha and go for it??
please any advice from test takers is apperciated :)

Thanks

I studied APhA and that was more than enough. The book is definitely overkill, but I think it helps paint a bigger picture if you're having a difficult time grasping certain concepts relating to drugs, their MOA, side effects, etc. The best advice offered to me on these forums was to do this:

1) Study Top 200 inside/out. Brand/generic, adverse effects and counseling points.
2) Be familiar with the common disease states (HTN, DM, etc). Just focus on the drugs. Rarely will you be questioned on the disease states themselves. Still study the other disease states, but put emphasis on the big ones.
3) Know how to do every math problem in the APhA book...very very well.