Took Part I today (July 24)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HupHolland

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I took part I today. I'd have to say it's not easy and it's not hard. There were a lot of very easy questions and others that no matter how hard you studied you would never know.

I studied for about 3 weeks total as I'm not shooting for a 90+ score. I'd be happy with anything over 80. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

-Hup!

Members don't see this ad.

hey! congrads on getting done. what a relief for you. My freind too said that there were a lot of easy questions. I was wondering if you could share which section was hardest? Was the DA similar to old test? a lot of primary teeth questions?

Thanks!

hi,
good luck 4 ur scores!!
just wanted to ask a few qs related to the exams:
1)how were the testlets?
2)% of repeats?
3)did u also have a lot of ques related to tmj&collagen synthesis as mentioned by acrylic?
4)u mentioned that a few questions were pretty difficult-kind of how much?

does doing decks thoroughly &asda papers along with kaplan reference covers most of the questions?

will appreciate an insight from your end.

thanks!!

Took mine on the 16th, thought I would reply to your questions.

1)how were the testlets?
-Some in my class said they were easy, I found some of mine challenging. Watch for the wordiness of some of them. It wasn't so much that the subject matter was difficult but the wording of the Q's were a little different.
That being said, some of the Q's were down right ******ed easy

2)% of repeats?
- I had very few, if any exact repeats. But I would say that the subject matter was the same. If you know the subjects that are repeated in the older exams, you can answer the new questions

3)did u also have a lot of ques related to tmj&collagen synthesis as mentioned by acrylic?
- Yes and yes, more so than the past years

- I had one Q, that not only had I not heard of the word, I could not pronounce it. I would say that there are ~5-7 extremely difficult Q's per 100, the bulk of the Q's are moderate, and 20 or so are just plain dumb easy.

5) does doing decks thoroughly &asda papers along with kaplan reference covers most of the questions?
- I have not gotten my scores yet, but I think the best way to go about it is old tests rule and the decks are MONEY for dental anatomy

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for posting ur experience!! It really makes me to feel confident. All I am gonna do is to do my question papers, decks and strengthen my basic knowledge in the remaining 20 days!
Could u please gimme insights for the following questions

Were there any diagram related questions in DA?

Is it enough if we study tmj from kaplan to answer the questions they ask?
Pl suggest

How were the clinical vignettes

Were there more interferons , genetics , immunology qusetions asked

Did u get nething from lower limb and neuroanatomy?

Last edited:
hi,
good luck 4 ur scores!!
just wanted to ask a few qs related to the exams:
1)how were the testlets?

I found the testlets to be easy. Others found them to be more challenging. I'm not sure if they had a different exam or not, but I felt like they were straight forward.

2)% of repeats?

Not many. I suppose it depends on how many old exams you've done. I only did 96, 98 and 2006 and i saw maybe 10 repeat questions total.

collagen AND elastin !

i would say 10% of the exam was very difficult questions. maybe i just didn't know that material, but i couldn't even make an educated guess.

about 50% of the exam was easy, basic info.

does doing decks thoroughly &asda papers along with kaplan reference covers most of the questions?

i did used first aid USMLE mostly and decks for dental anatomy and path.

will appreciate an insight from your end.

thanks!!

Also, please don't PM me asking for specific questions. I find it kinda disturbing that all these FTD's are trying to cheat their way into American schools.

-Hup!

Also, please don't PM me asking for specific questions. I find it kinda disturbing that all these FTD's are trying to cheat their way into American schools.

-Hup!
CHEAT THEIR WAY INTO DENTAL SCHOOLS!!!!
look who's complaining...
you have it easy buddy.you dont have to aim at scoring above 90 to get into a dental school.
well have you ever thought about why the dental schools take ftd's in the first place??cos it gives them an increased revenue.
let me jus say-
EVERYBODY IS AN IMMIGRANT IN THE USA dude
so stop feeling cheated.ur chances aare not gonna be affected by ftd's..

Last edited:
you have it easy buddy.you dont have to aim at scoring above 90 to get into a dental school.
well have you ever thought about why the dental schools take ftd's in the first place??cos it gives them an increased revenue.
let me jus say-

Take it easy man. Hup has every right to ask that people respectfully do not ask him questions specific to the exam. As a trained dentist, I would hope you recognize how unethical that is. Everyone has had their own battle to get into/do well in dental school. This forum is to help people, not to cheat the system. Chill out and worry about studying rather than bashing people who are trying to help you.

I also took part-1 on 24th and as a FTD I am a little bit dosappointed coz I have to score high. Anyway it all dependes upon the conversion scale by ADA. So I can only say about that paper is that the person who set that paper covered everything all over the course and also put a lot of such questions in which u can easily rule out three options out of five but rest of two are very much identicle and I was very confused in picking one from that two. The only advice I can give someone after taking this paper is to make ur basics strong . If u are strong in basics then u can perform well.
I think this is a brief extract that I can share vd u ppl.

I also took part-1 on 24th and as a FTD I am a little bit dosappointed coz I have to score high. Anyway it all dependes upon the conversion scale by ADA. So I can only say about that paper is that the person who set that paper covered everything all over the course and also put a lot of such questions in which u can easily rule out three options out of five but rest of two are very much identicle and I was very confused in picking one from that two. The only advice I can give someone after taking this paper is to make ur basics strong . If u are strong in basics then u can perform well.
I think this is a brief extract that I can share vd u ppl.

:thumbup: Excellent advice. Know the basics.

I, also, could easily eliminate 3 of the 5 answer choices easily. It all depends on how educated of a guess you can make.

Best of luck with your results!

-Hup!

hey! congrads on getting done. what a relief for you. My freind too said that there were a lot of easy questions. I was wondering if you could share which section was hardest? Was the DA similar to old test? a lot of primary teeth questions?

Thanks!

DA was easy- not very heavy on primary teeth. Your mileage may vary though.

I studied decks and referred to this post on SDN. It is excellent!

-Hup!

Thanks for posting ur experience!! It really makes me to feel confident. All I am gonna do is to do my question papers, decks and strengthen my basic knowledge in the remaining 20 days!
Could u please gimme insights for the following questions

Were there any diagram related questions in DA?

Is it enough if we study tmj from kaplan to answer the questions they ask?
Pl suggest

I didn't use Kaplan material so I can't answer that. I used my netters for dentistry text to study TMJ.

How were the clinical vignettes

Straight forward. I suppose some of the questions were tricky, but I found them easier than the random questions.

Were there more interferons , genetics , immunology qusetions asked

Yes, yes and yes. Basics though

Did u get nething from lower limb and neuroanatomy?

Lower limb in not in the scope of the exam.

-Hup!

hey dear,

I also live in Baltimore:)Anyways i go to a Dental Hygiene school thou. I was just wondering if u can help me out!Am about to start my second year this fall, so i will be taking my board exam next may. I dont know anybody who has released board exams for DH board exams, but I heard that students who go to University of Maryland, get this exams to practice. Do you by any chance know anybody from DH?I would really appriciate your help....Please let me know if you know anybody who can help me with that.
Thank you so much:))))

-Hup!

let me jus say-

I just think Hup wanted to point out ADA rules about not disclosing the exam questions. I heard that people do it and honestly I was tempted to ask around for remembered questions until somebody pointed out forum rules and ADA rules. I guess I will read the exam takers guide first before I read my decks.