Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Took random classes at a CC, and got 3 C's sophomore year. How screwed am I?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by romanjetfighter, 05.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. romanjetfighter

romanjetfighter 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I never studied for these three classes. I just took them for fun and to see what subjects interested me, thinking it wouldn't be on my record. I should have audited the classes. I didn't even know I wanted to be a doctor then. It lowers my GPA from 3.65 to 3.5 or so. Will adcoms show any leniency? Would you?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. radkat101

radkat101 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had dual credit classes from high school that dropped me from a 3.7 to a 3.5. If your gpa is high enough overall that your app doesn't get thrown out, maybe they'll cut you some slack. That being said, I don't think they did for me. Schools like stats.

4. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    I'd look for evidence that you make better choices now.
    I just took them for fun and to see what subjects interested me, thinking it wouldn't be on my record. I should have audited the classes.

A classic example of what the great historian Barbara Tuchman called "folly", ie], behavior contrary to self interest.
    I didn't even know I wanted to be a doctor then. It lowers my GPA from 3.65 to 3.5 or so.

What's your sGPA? MCAT? The cGPA is below avg, but not lethal. Does kinda blow away your chances for the Ivies or Stanford.
    Will adcoms show any leniency? Would you?

5. gonnif

gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student

Rule 1: Take a Breath

The only way your gonna find out is by applying and letting the adcoms decide. Your should expend energy and effort in honing the best application possible as worrying, fretting, and asking opinions is just wasting energy , adding stress to an already stressful experience.

About the ads