Took the DAT. 22 PAT 19 QR 20 Bio 19 GC 18 OC 19 RC 19 AA 19TS)/ 3.8 GPA/ Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gjdalton

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I also have decent volunteer hours/ ~80 shadow (kind of low)/ and have dissected two cadavers (I've heard you dissect cadavers in Dental School)
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno - if you are certain that you would improve, then yeah. It's a risk, though, since you're in very good shape for interviews with that GPA and everything 19+ except GC at 18.

I made an 18 in OC. I'm applying for this year (I'm a little late). Yeah that's what I'm worried about. I'm in the top 10% for PAT and QR. I'd be nervous to take it again and get a harder question set, and not do as well in those sections. I'm going to call admissions at my top picks and see what they think.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, can you give us a mini breakdown?

second. apply to more than 15 schools, this will improve your chances.

Third, yeah, retake! You can update them with the scores later on, even if they put you on a waitlist, they might reconsider you if you get higher scores.I mean if you didn't get in this cycle, at least you'll have a better DAT for next cycle.

Don't assume for a second I am applying that your dat scores are not good! No. Congratulations on your scores and on your hard work. but I think it's never bad to get higher scores.

Also, this 80 hours shadowing can be 100 or more in a less than a week, work on getting more shadowing hours and update school with that.
Your gpa is amazing by the way.

If you decide on retaking, take 2 weeks rest first.

I used DAT Destroyer and DAT Bootcamp. I'm honestly just nervous and getting lower scores if I retake and it looking bad. I see many people on here saying they got in with much lower scores. However, I do want a high chance of getting accepted.. tough decision...

For some reason I cannot see Orgoman's post, but I got an email notification from him on this thread. I covered all of the 2016 DAT Destroyer cover to cover (and loved the road maps! Many of the reactions were relevant!), my overall GPA is 3.8 and my science GPA is around ~3.5-3.6. I also have a bachelors in Biology and a minor in chemistry.

He may have deleted it (donors can do that).
When would you apply by? (Tomorrow, this weekend, or in a month?) Like do you have stuff like LOR's and a PS ready?

PS: bottom right of my post, you can "Like, Quote, Reply"- helps when answering a specific post.

I want to apply very soon. My number one pick is Augusta and their deadline is Sept. 30. I have my LOR's being written now and hopefully will be recieving them soon. I have a rough draft PS as of right now. I will be shaping up my application as fast as possible to meet the deadline. But like I said earlier, I intend to apply to 10+ schools.

you stand a shot with that GPA. Im assuming you're in-state for GA, which they will favor you over out of state applicants. But at the same time...I don't know how competitive the pool is for Augusta's dental school. However, I agree with others. I would retake your DAT. May I ask where else are you applying?

I'm applying to around ten schools. Mainly all here in the southeast. I know for sure of Augusta, Birmingham, Memphis, and Meharry. My AA is right at their average acceptance, PAT is a little above, and my GPA is above their average acceptance. Has anyone seen a person do the same or worse when they retake and what happened to them afterwards? I just can't see how that wouldn't completely hurt your chances of getting accepted.

Refer to this thread: DAT retake - slap in the face. How to proceed? and read the advice.
If Augusta is your number one, and their deadline is Sept 30 then you need to finish that PS and your app completely and honestly submit no later than tomorrow. Your app needs to be verified, which can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks, and then forwarded to schools, which can take another couple of days.
Have you already sent your transcripts in to the ADEA?

No not yet. I'm getting my transcripts Monday.

Alright thank you so much!

By that you mean you will be sending them in on Monday? Cutting it really close. If they are sent via mail, it could take about a week +/- couple days. So finish up your PS and your application, submit as soon as your transcripts are received by the ADEA, and work on supplemental questions while you wait. You can submit your app before LOR's are in, and I'd suggest doing so so that your GPAs/transcripts will be verified asap.

I also have decent volunteer hours/ ~80 shadow (kind of low)/ and have dissected two cadavers (I've heard you dissect cadavers in Dental School)
Thanks!
Congratulations! Very nice scores and I love the consistency. The DAT is behind you and with your excellent GPA, you should have a great opportunity to receive interviews at the schools you listed. As always make sure you have a strong personal statement.

You can always message me if you have questions. I try to answer asap.

Best of luck

Dr. Jim Romano

So I think you shouldn't retake. You have consistent scores, a great GPA, and will have a great shot at getting in. SDN definitely doesn't represent the majority of test takers. Good luck!

19AA / 20 TS / 22 BIO / 21 OC / 18 GC / 19 PAT / 18 RC / 15 QR*

3.8 sGPA
3.6 oGPA

I have gotten 5 interview invites thus far, I personally don't think you would need to retake!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
19AA / 20 TS / 22 BIO / 21 OC / 18 GC / 19 PAT / 18 RC / 15 RC

3.8 sGPA
3.6 oGPA

I have gotten 5 interview invites thus far, I personally don't think you would need to retake!

Congratulations on the interviews and taking time to give feedback to a fellow SDN'ers, the board can be harsh at times. If you need any advice on the interview process you can message us.

Wishing you the best.!

Congratulations on the interviews and taking time to give feedback to a fellow SDN'ers, the board can be harsh at times. If you need any advice on the interview process you can message us.

Wishing you the best.!

Thank you so much! It was an experience, that's for sure. Very thankful I turned out alright. And thanks!!! Really thankful that you guys offer your help throughout this entire process.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations! Very nice scores and I love the consistency. The DAT is behind you and with your excellent GPA, you should have a great opportunity to receive interviews at the schools you listed. As always make sure you have a strong personal statement.

You can always message me if you have questions. I try to answer asap.

Best of luck

Dr. Jim Romano

Thank you so much! I'm currently writing up my personal statement. I hope all goes well! It means a lot for everyone to be so responsive!

Reactions: 1 users