Took the DAT today... what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElectraOnAzalea

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, i only had a week to study for this because i'm taking a REALLY hard semester and have no time. This week was spring break, and i spent the whol ething studying. I'm not dissapointed with my scores, but i KNOW i could've done better. I didn't even review for quantitative reasoning which is evident from my score. Does anyone have any advice? Should i try it again, or will i be okay? I have a 4.0 GPA if that's any consideration, but i know DAT is wayyy important. Thanks!

PA - 18
QR - 16 =(
RC - 20
Bio - 19
GC - 22
OC - 20
TS - 20
AA - 19

Members don't see this ad.

Considering you have a 4.0, I'd say you are good to go. You'll probably get into most of the schools you apply to with good LOR's and essay.

So, i only had a week to study for this because i'm taking a REALLY hard semester and have no time. This week was spring break, and i spent the whol ething studying. I'm not dissapointed with my scores, but i KNOW i could've done better. I didn't even review for quantitative reasoning which is evident from my score. Does anyone have any advice? Should i try it again, or will i be okay? I have a 4.0 GPA if that's any consideration, but i know DAT is wayyy important. Thanks!

PA - 18
QR - 16 =(
RC - 20
Bio - 19
GC - 22
OC - 20
TS - 20
AA - 19

I think you know the answer to this question, but I'll go ahead anyhow :rolleyes::

Your DAT scores are good, and you have an superb GPA. I would not retake it, unless you really love taking standarized exams. Your statement that you are "not dissapointed with [your] scores, but [you] KNOW [you] could've done better" seems to suggest that you are already second-guessing your scores. This leads me to think that you will probably retake the DAT. Just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh the 16 is iffy but the rest is good.

The rest of you are just glancing over the GPA. Yeah it's a 4.0 but what school are you at?

I mean (for example) I could quite possibly get a 4.0 at a CC + really easy public college but certainly not at a top tier school.

This is another important factor. I'm not saying you're at an easy school obviously since you haven't told me where you're at yet :)

And yeah, I know a 4.0 is a 4.0 and is really good. But if you're at Harvard with a 4.0, you're set.

If I were in your toes and I'd care only about getting into any dental school, then I'd say you have a decent shot if you come from a respectable school with respectable extracurriculars. However, I would personally take the DAT again if I have time and I feel that I have the potential to improve significantly. . . this way, you don't have to rely too much on probability and you can actually pick and choose your school.

PA - 18
QR - 16 =(
RC - 20
Bio - 19
GC - 22
OC - 20
TS - 20
AA - 19

PA - 18
QR - 16 =(
RC - 20
Bio - 19
GC - 22
OC - 20
TS - 20
AA - 19

those are pretty solid scores with the exception of QR. i dont think its wise to risk dropping your other scores to bring up one bad score, especially the QR section which isnt really that important. your time would be better spent working on the other parts of you application like the personal statement which can take some time to write.

oo lordy has the QR gotten harder or something...i'm seeing a pattern guyss...or is it just me going crrazzzyyy:eek:

oo lordy has the QR gotten harder or something...i'm seeing a pattern guyss...or is it just me going crrazzzyyy:eek:

QR's a game of quick thinking and efficiency. It's nothing hard. There are NUMEROUS shortcuts that I took. Virtually all problems CAN be solved in 20-40 seconds.

well, if it's any consolation i didn't study for the QR AT ALL and i havent had a math class in 3 years, so my score is pretty expected. If you study and know the stuff, you'll do fine. I just had NO IDEA what some of the questions were asking. i didn't know how to solve them in the slightest so i was forced to guess.

those are solid scores you shouldnt have any problems in getting in to the school of your choice.