SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Took the DAT today... what do you think?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by ElectraOnAzalea, Mar 23, 2007.

1. ElectraOnAzalea

ElectraOnAzalea 10+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2007
    So, i only had a week to study for this because i'm taking a REALLY hard semester and have no time. This week was spring break, and i spent the whol ething studying. I'm not dissapointed with my scores, but i KNOW i could've done better. I didn't even review for quantitative reasoning which is evident from my score. Does anyone have any advice? Should i try it again, or will i be okay? I have a 4.0 GPA if that's any consideration, but i know DAT is wayyy important. Thanks!

PA - 18
    QR - 16 =(
    RC - 20
    Bio - 19
    GC - 22
    OC - 20
    TS - 20
    AA - 19

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. RypTide11

RypTide11 New Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Considering you have a 4.0, I'd say you are good to go. You'll probably get into most of the schools you apply to with good LOR's and essay.

4. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet 7+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2003
    Texas
    I think you know the answer to this question, but I'll go ahead anyhow :rolleyes::

Your DAT scores are good, and you have an superb GPA. I would not retake it, unless you really love taking standarized exams. Your statement that you are "not dissapointed with [your] scores, but [you] KNOW [you] could've done better" seems to suggest that you are already second-guessing your scores. This leads me to think that you will probably retake the DAT. Just my opinion.

5. DDSDakoo

DDSDakoo 7+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Texas
    hey awesome scores! i wouldn't retake them considering ur solid gpa. congrats! :thumbup:

6. Streetwolf

Streetwolf Ultra Senior Member Dentist 7+ Year Member

Oct 25, 2006
    NJ
    Eh the 16 is iffy but the rest is good.

The rest of you are just glancing over the GPA. Yeah it's a 4.0 but what school are you at?

I mean (for example) I could quite possibly get a 4.0 at a CC + really easy public college but certainly not at a top tier school.

This is another important factor. I'm not saying you're at an easy school obviously since you haven't told me where you're at yet :)

And yeah, I know a 4.0 is a 4.0 and is really good. But if you're at Harvard with a 4.0, you're set.

7. DDSY

DDSY Bright Lights at Night 7+ Year Member

Sep 1, 2006
    United States
    If I were in your toes and I'd care only about getting into any dental school, then I'd say you have a decent shot if you come from a respectable school with respectable extracurriculars. However, I would personally take the DAT again if I have time and I feel that I have the potential to improve significantly. . . this way, you don't have to rely too much on probability and you can actually pick and choose your school.

8. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero 5+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    those are pretty solid scores with the exception of QR. i dont think its wise to risk dropping your other scores to bring up one bad score, especially the QR section which isnt really that important. your time would be better spent working on the other parts of you application like the personal statement which can take some time to write.

9. ATLATLATL

ATLATLATL 2+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2007
    oo lordy has the QR gotten harder or something...i'm seeing a pattern guyss...or is it just me going crrazzzyyy:eek:

10. dentstd

dentstd Fena Gonzales 2+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2006
    QR's a game of quick thinking and efficiency. It's nothing hard. There are NUMEROUS shortcuts that I took. Virtually all problems CAN be solved in 20-40 seconds.

11. ElectraOnAzalea

ElectraOnAzalea 10+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2007
    well, if it's any consolation i didn't study for the QR AT ALL and i havent had a math class in 3 years, so my score is pretty expected. If you study and know the stuff, you'll do fine. I just had NO IDEA what some of the questions were asking. i didn't know how to solve them in the slightest so i was forced to guess.

12. Law0830

Law0830 Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2006
    those are solid scores you shouldnt have any problems in getting in to the school of your choice.

13. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe 5+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Tejas
    Good Scores.

14. marscole

marscole Junior Member 10+ Year Member

May 30, 2006
    congrats!! if i was you, i might retake DAT since it's just average!!