Took the MCAT again for UQO and didn't do so well. I need a little help moving forward.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stdavisdr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK... This is a tough one.

I think if I were to give anyone in my situation advice, I would say to look at other career paths. I'm considering this. However before I do so, I think I should just give it at least one more shot. I have nothing else to lose. If I give this one more shot, where can I go from here? I went from a 501 to a 499. I work full time and and only gave myself 3 months to study. I did this each time I took the test. It took me 3 times to figure out that I need to actually study full time. I know, stupid.

Now that I'm at this point, how do I move forward? No matter what, I will quit my job. 1.) I can quit my job and devote the rest of my summer to take the mcat again in September. This way, I can at least try to make it before this cycle ends.

-or-

2.) Think about postponing to the next cycle and take the test in January?

I know I have to re-evaluate my life and am considering post bacc as well. So far, Harvard extension school looks promising but am not sure if it's worth it to go as a California resident.

If I do improve my score drastically, does it even change anything? Does 4 retakes end my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

OK... This is a tough one.

I think if I were to give anyone in my situation advice, I would say to look at other career paths. I'm considering this. However before I do so, I think I should just give it at least one more shot. I have nothing else to lose. If I give this one more shot, where can I go from here? I went from a 501 to a 499. I work full time and and only gave myself 3 months to study. I did this each time I took the test. It took me 3 times to figure out that I need to actually study full time. I know, stupid.

Now that I'm at this point, how do I move forward? No matter what, I will quit my job. 1.) I can quit my job and devote the rest of my summer to take the mcat again in September. This way, I can at least try to make it before this cycle ends.

-or-

2.) Think about postponing to the next cycle and take the test in January?

I know I have to re-evaluate my life and am considering post bacc as well. So far, Harvard extension school looks promising but am not sure if it's worth it to go as a California resident.

If I do improve my score drastically, does it even change anything? Does 4 retakes end my chances?

A) You will not get in this cycle taking the exam in September. That is late.

B) As far as I know, UQ-O does not weigh retakes any differently or penalize you for them. Provided that your highest score, not necessarily your most recent score, meets their threshold for interview, which I believe is now a 504.

C) You could always apply to the UQ 4 year traditional medical program, they have lower MCAT thresholds for admission, but you won't be doing your 2 years at Ochsner then.

B) As far as I know, UQ-O does not weigh retakes any differently or penalize you for them. Provided that your highest score, not necessarily your most recent score, meets their threshold for interview, which I believe is now a 504.

C) You could always apply to the UQ 4 year traditional medical program, they have lower MCAT thresholds for admission, but you won't be doing your 2 years at Ochsner then.

UQ traditional is also 504 mcat though right?

Hmm you're right. I was considering taking the mcat again in August. However, I don't know if I'm just not thinking clearly. Many people need time before rushing in for a retake. I know realistically, I should just retake in January and apply early to UQO. It's just all that extra time that is scaring me.

Members don't see this ad :)

I also want to add that I interviewed already last year. I don't know if that makes a difference. But, it's also why I'm trying to apply this cycle because my interview will expire after this year.

Hmm you're right. I was considering taking the mcat again in August. However, I don't know if I'm just not thinking clearly. Many people need time before rushing in for a retake. I know realistically, I should just retake in January and apply early to UQO. It's just all that extra time that is scaring me.

Yes UQ trad is also 504 cutoff.

There’s a thread here on SDN somewhere about when/if you should retake the mcat given certain situations. I would give that a read (search for it).

IMO you might be rushing things. Why is the extra time scaring you? You can use it for self-improvement, re-evaluation as you mentioned, studying etc. You can use it to build a stronger application. I’d consider this a pro, not a con. So you start a year later. So what? This one year isn’t going to define the rest of your life and your lifelong career.

You said it yourself. “Many people need time before rushing in for a retake”

It’s more like almost everyone. There’s a reason you didn’t get the mark you wanted on the exam right? It wasn’t just because you had a bad day. Maybe those people can retake quickly and improve. You might need to fundamentally change your study habits to do well. This may take time. Don’t sweat it. If you’re sure that you want to do this- just put in the work because the time will pass anyways.

This is the first of many, many major exams in your path. Many of which if you do subpar on, will be much harder to make up for (steps). So ask yourself where do your priorities lie? identify if this is really the field you want to pursue - then take the steps you need to to get to your goal.

... or consider another career path. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

Not sure what the MCAT cut off is for UQ trad. Back when I applied to UQ-O it was a few points lower, not sure if it's now equivalent-- something to look up on the website.

Retaking in August will also be late and likely not get you in this cycle.

Don't rush things.

Not sure what the MCAT cut off is for UQ trad. Back when I applied to UQ-O it was a few points lower, not sure if it's now equivalent-- something to look up on the website.

Don't rush things.

Having a little trouble replying to both posters because my phone keeps lagging.

For the comment above this

Don't rush things.

Having trouble replying to both of you guys because my phone keeps lagging.

For Dolphin, thank you for your advice. It's making me re-think things. At the moment, I'm still fighting mentally on whether to wait another year and how to take the test this summer. I know when I've had more time to clear my mind I'll make a more rational decision. I've been researching for hours on my next possible steps if I were to take another year. Everything seems so convoluted at the moment. There's post bacc, for example. I'm not even sure where to start. I've searched so many student doctor threads and Google searches today and I'm still unsure where to start. I have to think about the right school, cost, living...

For mcat_taker
This brings me back to the mcat. I think well since I've interviewed already, then when I get my results in September I only have to wait for decisions. I don't need to worry about interview dates. Since there are interview dates until October, then there's a chance it may still be open. Granted, my scores improve this time around.

I'm going back and forth between these two ideas (one year off vs mcat). I guess I'm just looking to vent my thoughts in hopes that this will help clear my head a little. I'm just so confused and lost with what to do with my future.

Having a little trouble replying to both posters because my phone keeps lagging.

For the comment above this

Having trouble replying to both of you guys because my phone keeps lagging.

For Dolphin, thank you for your advice. It's making me re-think things. At the moment, I'm still fighting mentally on whether to wait another year and how to take the test this summer. I know when I've had more time to clear my mind I'll make a more rational decision. I've been researching for hours on my next possible steps if I were to take another year. Everything seems so convoluted at the moment. There's post bacc, for example. I'm not even sure where to start. I've searched so many student doctor threads and Google searches today and I'm still unsure where to start. I have to think about the right school, cost, living...

For mcat_taker
This brings me back to the mcat. I think well since I've interviewed already, then when I get my results in September I only have to wait for decisions. I don't need to worry about interview dates. Since there are interview dates until October, then there's a chance it may still be open. Granted, my scores improve this time around.

I'm going back and forth between these two ideas (one year off vs mcat). I guess I'm just looking to vent my thoughts in hopes that this will help clear my head a little. I'm just so confused and lost with what to do with my future.

Hey,

Don't be so narrow minded and focus solely on UQ. There are several schools in Australia that would still accept you into their program provided you have a decent resume. Many schools do not put as much emphasis as long as you meet a basic cut off and your right around that mark. If this is what you want to do then don't be persuaded not to do it.

Also there are schools in Ireland as well in other parts of the UK. There is one school in Poland that is dirt cheap compared to every other program and I looked at the results of the students and where they matched and it was pretty good. But the only caveat is you will be in Poland. Do you like Polish Kielbasas and anti-semitism. Could be the place for you. All jokes aside don't give up if you really want this.

Some person on SDN presented his stats and asked "guys honestly what are my chances of getting into med school"

The best response was "100 %" because if thats what you truly want to do then nothing should stop you and there are so many pathways to becoming a doctor that it really is feasible for almost every individual.

Best of luck.