took the OAT today

mysteriouseyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the OAT today and I'm not really sure if my scores are that great especially after reading everyone's posts about their scores all being above 300. Here are my scores:

QR: 300
RC: 310
Bio: 380
GChem: 310
OChem: 350
Phy: 290 (UGH!!!!)
TS: 340
AA: 320

I would love any input from anyone.... are my scores competitive? By the way I'm worried because I have a really really low GPA around a 2.5!!! Should I take the OAT again and try for better scores to offset my low GPA or do you think these scores are good enough?

Thanks for any input and for anyone with questions about the OAT, I'm willing to answer them since I've had the full OAT experience now. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Mysteriouseyes,

Sorry I don't have any input for you because I'm fairly new at this myself. I think your AA and TS are great; they are above average. You might want to call the school you're interested in and ask them about your situation.

I'm taking my OAT in 3 weeks so I wanted to ask you for some inputs. My weakest area is physics. On my practice tests I've been getting low 200s. I'm really panicking. What do you think I should focus on for the remaining of my studies. What tools did you used to study and how long did you study for the OAT? Thanks!

So I took the OAT today and I'm not really sure if my scores are that great especially after reading everyone's posts about their scores all being above 300. Here are my scores:

I would love any input from anyone.... are my scores competitive? By the way I'm worried because I have a really really low GPA around a 2.5!!! Should I take the OAT again and try for better scores to offset my low GPA or do you think these scores are good enough?

Thanks for any input and for anyone with questions about the OAT, I'm willing to answer them since I've had the full OAT experience now. Good luck to everyone!

Definitely retake. Although your TS is slightly above average, your AA is just right on average. With your GPA of a 2.5, it would be best to aim ALL of your scores to be at least 350. That's my opinion though. You need a way to balance out your low gpa with high OAT scores. Best of luck!! I hope that hellps :)

hey clovers!

Yeah, I can definitely say that Physics is my weak point too. When I was taking practice tests I was making around 230's on the physics sections and I ended up with a 290 on the real thing so that's a huge improvement for me, personally since I suck at physics more than I suck at life lol :) . But yes, I sympathize with you. All I can tell you is that the physics section is really not as hard as they are on the practice tests. Don't waste your time memorizing all the useless formulas... which is what I did.... you don't need them. Just be sure you know the 4 or 5 basic formulas. I can't remember anything specific because I tend to flush things out of my memory or I'm still traumatized from the test.

Don't fret though I promise the real OAT is not as hard as practice tests. I think most practice tests are made super difficult so that the real one doesn't seem so bad. I hope this was helpful and if there's anything else I can help you with let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)

Most schools require you to talk to them before applying if you have a gpa of <2.5-2.7. You might want to boost your gpa to a 3.0 with additional courses or maybe do a Post-Bacc program.

hey mysteriouseyes, im set to take the oat this friday and i wanted to ask you how you fared on other subjects on the practice test..and if you could tell me what the 4-5 basic equations are because that's definitely my weakest point too. iono why though, i actually really enjoy physics but for some reason physics on the oat doesnt enjoy me...thanks!

hey mysteriouseyes, im set to take the oat this friday and i wanted to ask you how you fared on other subjects on the practice test..and if you could tell me what the 4-5 basic equations are because that's definitely my weakest point too. iono why though, i actually really enjoy physics but for some reason physics on the oat doesnt enjoy me...thanks!

For physics, I would focus more on the mechanics part of physics if you're in a bind. Although there are still around 6 to 10 problems based on electricity/Magnetism and optics. Hope that helps!

How was ochem? I am studying ochem right now, and there seems to be a lot of reactions to memorize. Do I need to worry about memorizing all these reactions? Thanks.

phuongle: Ochem really wasn't that bad but I had Ochem pretty recently since I just graduated so it was one of my stronger areas. There are reactions on the test but just know the basics of the reactions, for example what the wolf-kishner rx does or how to oxidize reactants or what to use to reduce reactants..... things like that. Hope that helps and best of luck!

princesspinknes: mwyt gave great advice.... follow that. The 4-5 equations I was referring to were the kinematic equations..... the ones using velocity, gravity/acceleration, time or displacement in various forms. UGH I hate physics.... it's such an "over-my-head" kinda subject for me personally! And I hear you don't even really utilize physics that much in Opt school anyway. I have a few friends in Opt school and they said aside from basic algebra/optics basis of physics nothing else is too much of a concern. So thank God for no blocks sliding down frictional angles and blah blah blah in Opt school!!!

EVERYONE ELSE: Thanks so much for you honesty and input.... it's so hard to hear that I might not get into Opt school but it's the reality of the situation and something I needed to hear. I'm sure everything will work out but we'll see! Keep the replies coming I love to get feedback.

Best of luck to everyone!

Yea, I am another one doing bad on the physics section. What do you mean know the 5 basic formulas? should i understand concepts over formulas? what is the best way to attack these problems looking back after u took the OAT? What did u study from originally?

i think the 5 basic formulas are the kinematic ones. there was a quite a bit of that on the oat. good luck.

Yes, definitely know those formulas. They'll be in every physics textbook. On the OAT there's a lot of that friction stuff, block on an incline plane, and kinematics type questions involving displacement, acceleration, etc.

Yes, definitely know those formulas. They'll be in every physics textbook. On the OAT there's a lot of that friction stuff, block on an incline plane, and kinematics type questions involving displacement, acceleration, etc.

Boo to that stuff!! :mad: It could be worse though, guess I can't complain. :oops:

STILL APPLY! If you have other great things going for you, a school could overlook the gpa. Definately if you have your mind set on opt though it would be wise to get in the 90th percentile on most subjects to offset the gpa. But, don't spend too much of your time focused on opt...It sounds like you are a talented person, and many other careers could fit you as well.