Took the OAT twice

LaLaHoneyBee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my oat scores today, improved on everything, except the reading part. I made a 330 on it last year, but my score dropped to 230. Yikes! I am soooo mad at myself! I improved all my science/math scores from 290's to 330+, but just that one section!!! Gah!!! Unfortunately, such a low score made my average the same as last year, which isn't very competitive (290). Isn't that crappy? Maybe I'm not meant to be an optometrist and this is a huge sign. The same overall score from last year??!! How can I not help but be discouraged.

If anyone is wondering why I did so crappy, it's because that very day I took the October OAT, my school had a HOME football game, and our tailgators are known to be LOUD. There were tailgators right outside the testing building and right when I was taking the reading section, all I hear outside are people walking towards the stadium (which isn't far from the testing building). They were drunk, screaming, and singing.

And for my fellow test-takers who are reading this thread and that this whole situation sounds familiar too, do you also remember one of our exam proctors typing on the computer and he would keep pushing the back space erasing. Gah, that keyboard was freakin loud! The exam room is suppose to be QUIET. That was quite rude and I wished I wouldve asked him to please stop typing. The room isn't that big and his fingers banging on the keyboard is loud and annoying.

Well I guess its my fault for getting so easily distracted and couldn't concentrate on those dang passages. But having this reading score drop so dramatically really hurts you know.

My question is, do you think that schools will look at both scores, one from last year and this year and compare? Maybe they'll see how I'm not really that stupid, that hey, last year, I did know how to read?

But I'm still guessing I'll be taking the oat again in january--because I have to wait 3 months.

I'm just so sad.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried Kaplan or any of those prep courses?
Also, I think you will have a better testing experience with the computer test. Don't give up! :)

LaLa,
I honesty sympathize with you because I am in the exact same boat. I did horrible on the Reading Comprehension during the October written OAT.

For some reason, I was sure that scratch paper would be provided to me for the section but I found out moments before that it wasn't. This had a detrimental effect because I had practiced Reading Comprehension by mapping out keywords from the paragraph. This is the method that Kaplan teaches, however in my situation it really messed me up.

I plan on retaking the test sometime in mid January. Best of luck in your studies.

best of luck in january! i know you will do very well! :thumbup:

Subiedubie said:
LaLa,
I honesty sympathize with you because I am in the exact same boat. I did horrible on the Reading Comprehension during the October written OAT.

For some reason, I was sure that scratch paper would be provided to me for the section but I found out moments before that it wasn't. This had a detrimental effect because I had practiced Reading Comprehension by mapping out keywords from the paragraph. This is the method that Kaplan teaches, however in my situation it really messed me up.

I plan on retaking the test sometime in mid January. Best of luck in your studies.

Members don't see this ad :)
The written test has been phased out. Computerized only now. I took mine at a Prometric Testing Center (within a Sylvan Learning Center). Very quiet. A booklet of scrap paper is provided and must be returned at the end of the test (cannot take it with you). Headphones were provided to block out any additional sounds (I only used it during the RC section where I felt I needed absolute quiet to focus). I had plenty of time to read the passages and was able to identify key words which I felt questions would be asked about... and I was able to score a 400. You are also able to review back to the text passage while answering the question (something I wasn't sure of until I took the test). Good Luck!

LaLaHoneyBee said:
Hi,

I just got my oat scores today, improved on everything, except the reading part. I made a 330 on it last year, but my score dropped to 230. Yikes! I am soooo mad at myself! I improved all my science/math scores from 290's to 330+, but just that one section!!! Gah!!! Unfortunately, such a low score made my average the same as last year, which isn't very competitive (290). Isn't that crappy? Maybe I'm not meant to be an optometrist and this is a huge sign. The same overall score from last year??!! How can I not help but be discouraged.

If anyone is wondering why I did so crappy, it's because that very day I took the October OAT, my school had a HOME football game, and our tailgators are known to be LOUD. There were tailgators right outside the testing building and right when I was taking the reading section, all I hear outside are people walking towards the stadium (which isn't far from the testing building). They were drunk, screaming, and singing.

And for my fellow test-takers who are reading this thread and that this whole situation sounds familiar too, do you also remember one of our exam proctors typing on the computer and he would keep pushing the back space erasing. Gah, that keyboard was freakin loud! The exam room is suppose to be QUIET. That was quite rude and I wished I wouldve asked him to please stop typing. The room isn't that big and his fingers banging on the keyboard is loud and annoying.

Well I guess its my fault for getting so easily distracted and couldn't concentrate on those dang passages. But having this reading score drop so dramatically really hurts you know.

My question is, do you think that schools will look at both scores, one from last year and this year and compare? Maybe they'll see how I'm not really that stupid, that hey, last year, I did know how to read?

But I'm still guessing I'll be taking the oat again in january--because I have to wait 3 months.

I'm just so sad.

If your talking about taking the OAT at LSU I was there too. I also was disgusted at the loudness, but I haven't recieved my scores yet. Good luck though, I am sure you'll do better next time. Don't get discouraged. If you are from Louisiana like me, we have a lot on our minds it is hard to concentrate. So don't give up. ;)

Amanda56 said:
If your talking about taking the OAT at LSU I was there too. I also was disgusted at the loudness, but I haven't recieved my scores yet. Good luck though, I am sure you'll do better next time. Don't get discouraged. If you are from Louisiana like me, we have a lot on our minds it is hard to concentrate. So don't give up. ;)

Oh yes! I am talking about LSU. I hope everything is okay with you. I see that you're from NO. Did you go back home? I heard the city is really trying to get back on track.

thank you for your response. not that i feel better that you were in the same situation as me--i don't wish that upon anyone, but i do feel relieved that i'm not the only one who acknowledges the typing-loud-exam-proctor and tailgators.

good luck with everything! I hope you get into the school of your choice.

LaLaHoneyBee said:
Oh yes! I am talking about LSU. I hope everything is okay with you. I see that you're from NO. Did you go back home? I heard the city is really trying to get back on track.

thank you for your response. not that i feel better that you were in the same situation as me--i don't wish that upon anyone, but i do feel relieved that i'm not the only one who acknowledges the typing-loud-exam-proctor and tailgators.

good luck with everything! I hope you get into the school of your choice.

Yes, I've moved back home and I am starting the repairs on my home. I am anxiously awaiting my scores to come in, but because the mail is so slow who knows when I'll get them. I hope everything goes alright with you.

Amanda56 said:
Yes, I've moved back home...

Hey, I'm sorry that you have to do repairs on your home. I'm sure your schools have received your scores though, and I hope they are able to contact you for interviews. You may want to email your schools and tell them about your situation and that it may be easier for them to contact you through email. You don't want to miss your chances because of communication problems.

I'm in the BR area, so everything is fine here (thanks for asking).

Again, don't let Katrina ruin more than it already has. Because you haven't even gotten your scores yet, it seems like the mailing system isn't functioning as well as it should be--so unfortunately, you have to go the extra miles to keep yourself up-to-date with everything.

I wish you and your family and friends the best.