tooth loss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_naureen

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can u please reply me about what r the pathological reasons of early tooth loss.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Doc,

Well, I'll tell you the quick short version to save time. Two major reasons I can think of for tooth loss include periodontal disease caused by dental plaque and calculus that irritates the gingiva, causes bone reabsorption and destroys the periodontal ligament holding the tooth in place. Another relative idea is the thought of overhanging margins on a crown or filling that can irritate the gingiva and have the same effect as periodontal disease. It seems to be that when the gingiva or gums are irritated it causes premature bone reabsorption on the aveolar bone that is connected to the periodontal ligament. Also improper biting caused by malocculsion can cause improper stress on a tooth and cause it to fracture or have its gingiva surrounding it, irritated, which has the same effect. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Is there any one out there who is old enough to remember the classic smiles of the ice hockey players before the advent of mouth guards, face sheilds, and helmets?