tooth regeneration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Easton

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a predental student currently doing a senior research project. I am doing it on stem cells and mainly trying to focus on tooth regeneration. I was wondering if anyone can lead me to any Dr./Professors that are doing research for this. My thesis question will basically be-- What impact will stem cells have on businesses? So if anyone has heard of people opposed to stem cells because of the potenial for loss of buisness, that would be a great help. If you think about it, stem cells could save thousands of lives, but cost thousands of jobs. Think of all the medical/dental procedures/people that will no longer be needed. Any positive information would be appreciated.
I'm really looking for good credible sources not so much opinions on the subject.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think it will necessarily cost jobs- the medical community will just adapt to the new technology. For example, suppose you can grow organs, tooth or whatever, the doctor/dentist is unlikely going to be the one doing the actual culturing, etc. However, they'll still be the people who actually transplant/implant the organ/tooth so their job is merely shifted from doing an artificial implant/crown/bridge to implanting of actual tooth. It's just like medical genetics- i doubt that geneticists are going to take over the jobs of doctors anytime soon. The truth is that scientists do the grunt work (that's why i have high respects for researchers- if you think about it they're the real contributors to advancement of medicine, not doctors), and the doctor/dentists are the ones that usually carry out the final stage of executing the procedure on the patient.

The only way I think that business may be impacted is if you can genetically alter a human such that he can grow a new organ or tooth without outside intervention the way you grow your nail or hair. With the case of the stem cells, somebody will still have to put the cells in place, and it will likely be the medical professionals that do it, so there may be a reduction in number of medical procedure but not elimination (and the cost of the procedure will just go up as compensation).