Top 10 Highest-paying jobs in USA - Psychiatry #2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leo Aquarius

Anxiety.org Schizophrenia.com DepressionHealth.net
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I'd want our profession to be on the radar as one of the highest paying specialties- could mean we'll be a target for reimbursement cuts.

On another note, with emerging data like this, it's likely we are going to be seeing an increase in applicants over the next few years, if that hasn't already been happening (maybe some members involved in selections committees could comment on that).

Clearly, over the past 10 years, we've seen legislative changes mandating parity in reimbursement, as well as changes in curricula in med schools- I read that now the MCAT will have a behavioral sciences section.

Reactions: 1 user
The number of applications has definitely been going up, but the number of applicants is about the same. People are just interviewing at more places. People have been predicting that the “number of students going into psychiatry over the next few years” for several decades. Believe me, I hope it does, but this prediction has been wrong for a long time.

Looking at NRMP data,
In 2011 640 allopathic US grads filled 58% of the psychiatry slots representing 4.8% of US matches.
2012 616, 55%, 4.7%
2013 681 52% 5.1%
2014 685 52% 5.0%
2015 774 57% 5.1%

This last match was a little encouraging, but the % of grads was the same, There are just more grads. This last match was the first time in 3 years we were not losing ground. If you had the numbers in the 80s, 90s and 00s, everything was fairly flat. I’m told the hay day was in the 70s when it was considered cool to go into psychiatry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't think of any good that comes from that article.

"High salaries" among general population's awareness is never useful...or reimbursement cuts. (And ironically they aren't even that high in reality.)

They delineate between psychiatrists and physicians....ie between psychiatry and medicine. (Granted they also separate surgery)

The people that are swayed in their choice to pick psychiatry due to a cnbc article (of that quality no less) is not a great person for the field. (Ie critical reasoning is questionable.)

Ps: lol at orthodontists making a "median of 129k".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I always wonder about the methodology used in these fluff pieces, given their numbers typically differ from the more trustworthy annual salary surveys.

Especially when they say this about surgeons:

"Topping the list once again are surgeons, who have seen an exponential increase in salary year-over-year. In 2014, these health-care professionals were averaging $230,000. One year later that number has skyrocketed to more than $350,000."

If we're different than physicians, then what about ophtho, derm, gas, and rads? Surely the image readers are as different from "real doctors" as us (future) "mind readers." ;)

The median surgeon salary went up $120000 in one year?
My money is on small sample size. Ask one ortho, or even one particularly successful general, lump him in with the rest, and your number jumps.

lol were not one of the highest paying specialties not even close. they were comparing psychiatry to primary care and have not including any of the specialties that pay vastly more than psychiatry. psychiatrists do in general make more than primary care docs.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I thought orthodontists were making like half a million working 3.5 days a week. Seriously, is this not the case?

These lists are rather useless. The best "jobs" are the ones people create themselves or have a fair amount of luck in getting. I know plenty of people in tech/finance that would blow that list away.