Top 10 schools for me based on my stats...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What exactly do you want from a school? Besides big city and trauma exposure (which are pretty generic and there are many schools that fit this criteria)

More specifically:

1) I'd like to be either on west coast, Atlantic coast, or in the south.
2) I'd prefer smaller classes.
3) I'd prefer interaction with patients from an early stage.
5) I'd like a good balance of lectures and problem based learning.
4) I like Yale's relaxed curriculum and optional tests.
5) I like Northwestern's integrated curriculum for the first 2 years.
6) Money is not really an issue-- I don't have a problem accumulating more student loans.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It's just bad taste to strut. You (not you personally but you know, in the general sense) don't have to slather your car up with caduces stickers and MD vanity plates once you get your accepted, or wear your short white coat emblazoned with "Dr. Tic, future neurosurgeon" (do a thread search in allo for gunner advice or something like that) on the first day of class. When you're in medical school, on your way to becoming a neurosurgeon or pediatrician or whatever floats your boat, you don't have to walk around telling everybody how great you are when about a fourth of the class is doing the best they can but constantly in danger of failing any given course. If you feel the need to do this, chances are you are in fact a soulless gunner and you deserve all the crucifying you can stand and then some.

And of course you're going to be the best whatever, it goes without saying. I know plenty of my classmates' aspirations; they don't keep them a secret, but they don't go around with a bullhorn either.

I don't think indicating interest is necessarily strutting or boasting. Once people know you're interest, I agree that there isn't much reason to remind everyone. And it probably is safer to keep your interest to yourself or among close friends. I also think that a few bad "gunners" have given those who aspire for competitive specialties a bad rap.

Anecdote:
During one of my interviews, there was another interviewee who said she wanted to go into Neurosurgery. Although I didn't think it was the most prudent thing to say, I respected her honesty. Personally, I think I said internal medicine, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense I was interviewing at a research heavy university, but it's the safe answer. Would saying neurosurgery have an impact on my acceptance? I wouldn't want to find out...

Unfortunately, this chick got on everyone's nerves because she dominated the conversation and would NOT shut up. She kept talking about her dad and all the people he knew at the medical school. I would agree that this person could have used a little "flaming" to bring her back to earth...

Members don't see this ad :)
Few schools with 3.8/36 averages. Just go to US news, and write down the 10-15 or so that have around those figures, narrow based on location/personal factors. It should take at most 15 minutes of your time...far less then writing/reading/replying to this thread.

More specifically:

1) I'd like to be either on west coast, Atlantic coast, or in the south.
2) I'd prefer smaller classes.
3) I'd prefer interaction with patients from an early stage.
5) I'd like a good balance of lectures and problem based learning.
4) I like Yale's relaxed curriculum and optional tests.
5) I like Northwestern's integrated curriculum for the first 2 years.
6) Money is not really an issue-- I don't have a problem accumulating more student loans.

Thanks

Please don't go to Yale.

As many have already stated, there is an upper limit you can study for this test until it all becomes "luck". This test is not the same as a regular undergraduate midterm where you study for weeks on end and you can be 100% sure you will get an A. There are questions on the test that you will come to that you havent seen or studied (no matter how long you study). You can be a verbal whiz and misread some question or answer. At such a high score, one or two questions is enough to drop you a whole point. So basically, it all comes down to luck on these "experimental questions" and whether you guess the correct answer, or you have somehow seen it from somewhere before. I whole heardtedly believe that someone that scores a 38 on the mcat can easily score down to a 32 or 33 if they retook the test. It's not a negative to AIM for a 38, but it is very arrogant to state plainly that you anticipate on getting it. Striving for a goal and anticipating on achieving that goal are two different things...good luck and hopefully you will read every passage with perfection and have hopefully come across some of the experimental questions they will throw out at you. I remember my mcat had some random question on some specific bone in your leg and what was the area that was in between your kneecap and femur called? Detailed Skeletal Anatomy was not taught in my princeton review class...:thumbup:

I remember that I needed to correctly identify the structure of Penicillin. The five answers looked EXACTLY the same. I spent five minutes trying to figure out what was different before I even started thinking about the question. To the OP: I think it is actually ok to anticipate your score at 38 if you have been scoring above 38 on many, many practice tests. I know most people end up scoring within a few points of their average practice test score, provided that they have taken MANY practice tests to provide a more reasonable average. However, the score is also about luck. I scored 14-15 on the verbal section of every practice test I took...then on the real thing I managed a 13. I had FIFTEEN minutes at the end of the section to review all of my answers, etc. I was SURE they were all right...and obviously they weren't. The two point score drop was likely due to, what, three questions? It's pretty hard to anticipate a score when the points get that slim.

My recommendations, since you asked. 1) Take biochem and calc. You will likely need them for at least one of the schools you apply to. 2) Apply to your state school(s), schools of various rankings in cities you like (ie. two or three in NYC, a few in Philly, etc.) being sure to apply to a schools with a range of average scores. 3) Do not apply to schools in big cities if you don't want to be in the city...or in the countryside if you do want to be in a city, etc. Make yourself happy for the next four years. 4) If you care about rankings, look at the US News and World Report and use that as a guide. If you care about what people think of a school, look at the interview feedback portion of this website and take that advise or search the med student forums for discussion of a particular school. Remember, many/most people are pre-meds here, so they haven't really been through the whole med school experience...

And there IS a difference between "just doing your best" and doing your best with a specific goal in mind. It's a fact that having emotional, specific, tangible goals is ALWAYS superior to "just doing your best."

Thanks

I think you've got a ways to go before you find yourself published; there's an awful lot of assertion of fact in that opinion.

Who's to say I haven't taken a practice test?

I admit the line "Anticipated 38 MCAT" could be taken as a little presumptuous, but this was not at all my intention. In no way was I "fishing for compliments." The point of this thread was to learn about choosing schools based on residencies. Contrary to what I read in one of my med. school books, I've learned that this shouldn't really be done. The value of this forum vs. other methods of medical school preparation has again been proven.

Again, I thank you all for your help. And your flaming!

Haha, personally I don't see this as that ridiculous. Posting it on SDN wasn't wise though. On my diagnostic test, I bubbled in my desired score, got 6 points lower on the diagnostic itself and ended up getting my target on the real thing. And I was a little bit more ambitious than you... :p

Your (hypothetical) stats are high enough to apply anywhere you want. Choose by location and type of school. Apply to all the top schools you would be interested in, apply to most of the schools in your state, and don't apply to UC schools unless you're a) from CA or b) have money to burn. Good luck, but you'll need a bit more self awareness if you want to come across well in interviews.

I think you've got a ways to go before you find yourself published; there's an awful lot of assertion of fact in that opinion.

Thank you. Someone with sense.

You know OP, there are people with 2-3 and even more publications who don't get in top schoolsl like HMS even if they've interviewed there. So don't try to apply to narrowly.

Also, being published in and of itself may be an accomplishment but the degree to which it will help also depends on how well known the journal is for which it is published in as well as your authorship on the paper.

Everytime I read the OP's post... I just can't help but laugh a little, then vomit in my mouth, then hope that I don't end up in the same med school as people like this.

i was trying to think of something witty to say, but this fits the bill

i was trying to think of something witty to say, but this fits the bill

Ya black... you can see the picture of what I looked like if you look at the post on the last page too where the guy's laptop isnt plugged in... you are the man ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, personally I don't see this as that ridiculous. Posting it on SDN wasn't wise though. On my diagnostic test, I bubbled in my desired score, got 6 points lower on the diagnostic itself and ended up getting my target on the real thing. And I was a little bit more ambitious than you... :p

Is this guy for real?

what were you aiming for got a 40-42?

"Aiming for" and "anticipating" are two totally different things. If the OP had just said "I hope to get a score in the high 30s" nobody would be jumping at his throat, but the word "anticipating" implies an expectation based on some reasonable assumptions. I think people in this thread (interestingly, many of whom scored better than 38) have established that the OP has very little in the way of reasonable information to be assuming from, and therefore, that his comment was stupid.

I didn't read through all of this stupidity, but I'll throw in my .02

If you're good enough for one top-10, you're good enough for any of them.
and, as said, numbers don't make the applicant. if you're half as arrogant in person as you are on here, I'd "apply broadly," because no one wants someone like that at their school.

Hey all,

I'm a Junior (hopefully matriculating Fall '09). I was wondering what schools are realistic for me and a good match. Obviously this is my decision, and I have been doing my research. I'm not completely relying on an internet forum to make my decision, this is simply another form of research.

Stats:

Transfer student
Currently BBA student at top 5 BBA program, top 20 school overall (is this appropriate to put on my app?)
3.7 overall GPA (got a D and F freshman year, would be 3.9 otherwise)
3.93 science GPA
Dean's list all but 1 semester (my first)
Gradaute w/ highest honors
Anticipated 38 MCAT

Varsity soccer 3 years
student council senator at large 1 yr
Service Organization VP 2 yrs
Calc. Tutor (volunteer and paid) 1 yr
ER volunteering (3hrs/week) 2.5 yrs
started nonprofit mentoring high schoolers 2 yrs
Research (hopefully published in good journal) 10hrs/week 2.5 yrs
Shadowing, 3 physicians, 50, 50, 100hrs
Summer internship in finance at Fortune 50 company

At this point in the game (I know, very early) I'm looking at general surgery (trauma? CT?) or perhaps ortho.
I would preferably like to be in a big city for med. school.

Based on my stats/ECs and what I want from a school, what 10 schools would you all reccomend?

Also, how can I find out which schools send what percentage of their students to their top choice residencies? And how can I find out which schools send a high percentage to surgery residencies? How are surgery residencies ranked?

Thanks!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Studies have been done.

It has been established that what I actually meant was "aiming for" and not really "anticipating."

Also, my "arrogance" is more like an ignorance of the general tone of this board.

There's the key right there.

If you're planning on having your MCAT scores back before you submit your AMCAS then trying to pick schools right now is completely pointless. Get your scores back THEN come ask for advice.

This is completely true. There is only 1 MCAT score that it is not arrogant to predict prior to having EVER taken a practice test or a real test. This number is 24, the average (and therefore best predictive guess) or what a random test taker will make on the MCAT.

This is completely true. There is only 1 MCAT score that it is not arrogant to predict prior to having EVER taken a practice test or a real test. This number is 24, the average (and therefore best predictive guess) or what a random test taker will make on the MCAT.

I disagee. I can't tell you the number of people I've met who couldn't even break 20 on the MCAT. You'd be surprised. Some of these people had 3.6-3.98 GPAs in their respective majors. I also know people who've taken the test multiple times and couldn't get higher then a 23 and in some cases not higher then a 21. Part of the problem was that English wasn't a first language for some so the verbal screwed them over big time while part of it was they just didn't study for it the proper way.

Its hard to predict anything without practice scores. Practice scores are the only thing that can give you some sort of indication of probable score range.

Studies have been done.

It has been established that what I actually meant was "aiming for" and not really "anticipating."

Also, my "arrogance" is more like an ignorance of the general tone of this board.

Well why don't you do yourself a favor and actually achieve those things you are aiming for before you decide on your list of things?? Give us a break. You made two wrongful assumptions and now you are trying to change what you meant. Regardless of what you meant the fact of the matter is that you

A. have not been published
B. have not taken the MCAT

So you have no room to make any comments about wanting to go to a certain school or another until you've done such. Try taking things on step at a time and getting the things you need done first and then deciding when to apply.

I disagee. I can't tell you the number of people I've met who couldn't even break 20 on the MCAT. You'd be surprised. Some of these people had 3.6-3.98 GPAs in their respective majors. I also know people who've taken the test multiple times and couldn't get higher then a 23 and in some cases not higher then a 21. Part of the problem was that English wasn't a first language for some so the verbal screwed them over big time while part of it was they just didn't study for it the proper way.

Its hard to predict anything without practice scores. Practice scores are the only thing that can give you some sort of indication of probable score range.

Agreed. My point was only that, given ZERO information, you should pick the average. This is a statistical fact. The average is the best predictor of outcome. Given additional information, you can zero in on a better average. For example, if we DO know that the student speaks English as a 2nd language-- we would look to an average of that subset if it is available. Northwestern University, for example, boasts an average MCAT score of 32. If you went there, it might not be arrogant to expect a 32.

Studies have been done.

We are all very sorry that truthfull advice offends you.

Agreed. My point was only that, given ZERO information, you should pick the average. This is a statistical fact. The average is the best predictor of outcome. Given additional information, you can zero in on a better average. For example, if we DO know that the student speaks English as a 2nd language-- we would look to an average of that subset if it is available. Northwestern University, for example, boasts an average MCAT score of 32. If you went there, it might not be arrogant to expect a 32.

Good point!!! :)

U ...F word...Anticipating 38 ...I always anticipate 45 ..never happens..Hate people like u who brags a lot about their geniocity.

I'm not sure what you were going for, if not fishing for compliments. You post stats (even if they are *cough* anticipated) and a list of extra-curriculars that could make you a candidate at any school in the country. Sorry, buddy, but arrogance and ignorance were not confused here. You clearly wanted the pat on the back of hearing everyone say, "oh, Harvard is a lock." From the tone of your posts (not just the first one) I would say you could be very competitive at any school until they interview you.

And again schools with average MCATs of 36+ don't really exist (-WashU). Spend a little less time fishing for compliments and actually look at the schools (and their #s). No one is here to tell you where you should apply, we don't know you or what your interests are.

Also, UW does not accept applications from people named graham.

Personally I think most people are going to give you grief on this thread because we don't like people (and by we, I mean me and surely lots of other people) who go around boasting about things that they have never done. It would be something else if you had already gotten a 38, but the fact that you haven't even taken a practice test... For all you know, you could get a 17 on your first practice test... which I really hope happens. You remind me of this annoying person I know who brags to me about going to Cornell for some specialized program they have even though the only thing he has going for him is a high GPA (that he has cuz he doesn't work, volunteer, or do any ECs at all). He also says, "Ya, I'll probably score like a 39 on the MCAT... BS, BS, BS... " and on and on. Its F*CKING annoying. Don't be annoying, Graham.

Currently BBA student at top 5 BBA program, top 20 school overall (is this appropriate to put on my app?)

Ah, BBA programs. I love it. I find they they often help contribute to an artifically inflated ego. Those group take home finals are challenging, no doubt, but I'm sure playing dress up every week with your powerpoint presentations really has made you into an excellent candidate for medical school. Or at least that's my experience with the top-20 BBA people I know.

In other words, no, don't list it, unless you want your interviewers to sneer at you when they remember how they spent their undergrad years studying and the BBA students were out at the bars working on their "group project."

(me, bitter? no, never. I only wish my undergrad major had given me that much free time....)

Thanks for the helpful reply! I don't think 38 is that unrealistic or arrogant. Based on previous standardized tests and what I've seen of the MCAT material this is what I'm shooting for. How is this so arrogant? It's always good to have concrete, realistic goals. Why is everybody so negative?
Wow so you haven't even taken an MCAT practice test yet?!?! :laugh: This is why I tell even the most arrogant of my MCAT students to please not cry when they see their 14 on their first practice test. Seeing the 'material' and doing well on your SATs doesn't mean you'll do well on the MCAT. Its a whole different thing - its written tricky, most people cannot finish if they're not used to the time. And yes, it still is arrogant of you to think you'll get a 38. Thats like the 96%tile of a whole bunch of incredibly intelligent people who also have 'seen MCAT material' and got 1500's on their SATs.

Why is everybody so negative?

:laugh: No, I don't think people are necessarily being negative. They are just being realistic. We've met the MCAT face-to-face and know what a horrid beast it is. Yes, definitely have a goal of how you want to score. Take a series of AAMC practice tests under real conditions. Let us know how you are trending. This gives a fairly good indication of how you might perform test day, give or take some. In fact, take as many practice tests under real conditions as you can. Learn from your mistakes; study intelligently. Good luck.

This thread has got me thinking...I've been working out a lot lately. I think I might stop by the NFL combine later. I anticipate a 3.9 forty time and a 700 lb. bench press. What do you think?

This thread has got me thinking...I've been working out a lot lately. I think I might stop by the NFL combine later. I anticipate a 3.9 forty time and a 700 lb. bench press. What do you think?

Okay, this is over the top...

a 38+ on the MCAT is an attainable score. Whereas a 3.9 40-yd dash is NOT (at least not yet). I'm not sure about the 700lb bench.

:laugh: No, I don't think people are necessarily being negative. They are just being realistic. We've met the MCAT face-to-face and know what a horrid beast it is. Yes, definitely have a goal of how you want to score. Take a series of AAMC practice tests under real conditions. Let us know how you are trending. This gives a fairly good indication of how you might perform test day, give or take some. In fact, take as many practice tests under real conditions as you can. Learn from your mistakes; study intelligently. Good luck.

I think someone should start a "The MCAT is EASY" thread. That would be just as entertaining as this one.

I'm not sure what you were going for, if not fishing for compliments. You post stats (even if they are *cough* anticipated) and a list of extra-curriculars that could make you a candidate at any school in the country. Sorry, buddy, but arrogance and ignorance were not confused here. You clearly wanted the pat on the back of hearing everyone say, "oh, Harvard is a lock."

This is just absolutely untrue. To reiterate, the main point of my post was to address matching schools with interests/specialty. I couldn't care less about being complimented by some random people online.

From the tone of your posts (not just the first one) I would say you could be very competitive at any school until they interview you.

I'm glad you can tell so much about my character from the "tone" of my posts! Hopefully the ADCOMs won't be quite as astute...

A. have not been published

This is irrelevant. Publishing is far from essential to gain acceptance to one of the top schools. If everything works out, then I will attempt to publish if I have something worth publishing. If not, or if it doesn't work out, then that's fine too. I understand this is an incredibly laborious process, and I don't just want to publish for the sake of being published.

So you have no room to make any comments about wanting to go to a certain school or another until you've done such. Try taking things on step at a time and getting the things you need done first and then deciding when to apply.

Again, I think I do. Here are my "steps:"

1. Consider/research schools
2. Seek to attain MCAT/GPA consistent with the averages of these schools

I don't see how this is so counterintuitive or unbelievable.

Buy an MSAR http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/msar.htm and grab a stack of sticky bookmarks. Page through and mark the schools that appear to meet your criteria.

My unofficial formula for "do I have a shot" requires that you multiply your gpa by 10 and add it to your official MCAT score. Do the same using the average gpa and MCAT for the school you are considering minus 0.1 (to adjust for the fact that you have a good shot at a school where your numbers are a little less than avg for that school).

If you are planning to apply to only 10 schools aim for 2-3 reach, majority where you would be "average", and 2-3 safety. Don't apply to OOS schools where OOS applicants are unwelcome (MSAR will give you the stats on matriculants from OOS).

To get into any good residency (particularly the surgical residencies) it helps to have had research experience as a med student in that specialty. Obviously, it is going to be easiest to get this experience at a med school where plenty of this research is going on. Keep that in mind as you look at schools.

Buy an MSAR http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/msar.htm and grab a stack of sticky bookmarks. Page through and mark the schools that appear to meet your criteria.

My unofficial formula for "do I have a shot" requires that you multiply your gpa by 10 and add it to your official MCAT score. Do the same using the average gpa and MCAT for the school you are considering minus 0.1 (to adjust for the fact that you have a good shot at a school where your numbers are a little less than avg for that school).

If you are planning to apply to only 10 schools aim for 2-3 reach, majority where you would be "average", and 2-3 safety. Don't apply to OOS schools where OOS applicants are unwelcome (MSAR will give you the stats on matriculants from OOS).

To get into any good residency (particularly the surgical residencies) it helps to have had research experience as a med student in that specialty. Obviously, it is going to be easiest to get this experience at a med school where plenty of this research is going on. Keep that in mind as you look at schools.

Isn't there some addition for being an engineering student?

This is irrelevant. Publishing is far from essential to gain acceptance to one of the top schools. If everything works out, then I will attempt to publish if I have something worth publishing. If not, or if it doesn't work out, then that's fine too. I understand this is an incredibly laborious process, and I don't just want to publish for the sake of being published.

Dude, I'm sure that with your stats (assuming you get 34+ on the MCAT) and ECs, plenty of ppl have told you that you are a shoe-in for Hopkins or Harvard. And if you just kept up everything, get some solid LORs, put together a decent package, you will have a reasonable shot at the top 10 schools. Check out MDApplicant.com to see what other ppl are doing. Posting your stats and aiming for 38 on the MCAT here are only gonna get you burned, bad, and are not gonna count as meaningful ECs.
As for surgery specialty, I knew someone who is also leaning towards that and some of the schools he applied to were UPitts, Hopkins, Stanford, WashU, Mayo and Penn. He's a 4.0/43-Harvard-ugrad type of guy. So far he's sitting on a very impressive pile of offers.
When it really comes down to applying, it's better to apply to a big pool of schools and then use the interview days to really check them out. Applying to Harvard HST with Cornell thrown in as a backup ain't gonna get you very far unless you really lucked out. Also, never overlook state schools. I wish I had an American greencard so I could at least dream of attending UCSF or UMich:( :( :(

Granted there are cases of people who've got into top research schools without publications, try again!!!!!! TOP RESEARCH SCHOOLS WANT TO PRODUCE ACADEMIC PHYSICIANS or at least try to persuade people towards doing such. Why the hell do you think they have research components to their curricula?? Just for show?? Give me a break!! Most research schools want you to have publications if possible. Most people applying to top 10 research schools have publications or substantial research experiences even if not published at least from poster conferences and other such research symposiums and what not. You are a fool and a very presumptious fool at that. It is wiser to make those ECs a reality and make those publications and MCAT score a reality before you even consider what schools you should apply to.

Secondly, try remembering that even if you did have that profile there will always be someone better then you are stronger then you. There is always something to nitpick at in every application. The process is subjective and they can reject you for a number of reasons. You want honest advice and we gave it to you. now why don't you get to the application stage by taking your MCAT and doing those things you said and then decide where to apply? Because that is what makes most logical sense.

Dude, I'm sure that with your stats (assuming you get 34+ on the MCAT) and ECs, plenty of ppl have told you that you are a shoe-in for Hopkins or Harvard. And if you just kept up everything, get some solid LORs, put together a decent package, you will have a reasonable shot at the top 10 schools. Check out MDApplicant.com to see what other ppl are doing. Posting your stats and aiming for 38 on the MCAT here are only gonna get you burned, bad, and are not gonna count as meaningful ECs.
As for surgery specialty, I knew someone who is also leaning towards that and some of the schools he applied to were UPitts, Hopkins, Stanford, WashU, Mayo and Penn. He's a 4.0/43-Harvard-ugrad type of guy. So far he's sitting on a very impressive pile of offers.
When it really comes down to applying, it's better to apply to a big pool of schools and then use the interview days to really check them out. Applying to Harvard HST with Cornell thrown in as a backup ain't gonna get you very far unless you really lucked out. Also, never overlook state schools. I wish I had an American greencard so I could at least dream of attending UCSF or UMich:( :( :(

Again that is very presumptious of you!!! No one and I mean NO ONE is a shoe in for a place like HMS and Hopkins!!!

Even if he had that profile perhaps they could still reject him even if he were to get an interview there. I have a friend with a Masters and PhD in hard core sciences, a 40+ MCAT score, multiple publications, clinical and basic science research, all the other things that med schools look at who interviewed at many a top school and didn't get into the IVY leagues. Even if he has that profile, there will be people with Rhodes Scholars, Goldwater Scholars, scores that triumph over the 38 (40+) and 4.0 with multiple publications and who's also done other non medical stuff like acted on broadway kind of people. Those people may win out over him in an acceptance to HMS or Hopkins!! Each school looks for different things.

The process is unpredictable to a certain degree when it comes to the more selective schools. I know people who have been accepted at places they thought they never had a chance and people who've been rejected from the schools they have thought they have had a shot at.

Its really crapshoot as cliche as that sounds.

Again that is very presumptious of you!!! No one and I mean NO ONE is a shoe in for a place like HMS and Hopkins!!!

Even if he had that profile perhaps they could still reject him even if he were to get an interview there. I have a friend with a Masters and PhD in hard core sciences, a 40+ MCAT score, multiple publications, clinical and basic science research, all the other things that med schools look at who interviewed at many a top school and didn't get into the IVY leagues. Even if he has that profile, there will be people with Rhodes Scholars, Goldwater Scholars, scores that triumph over the 38 (40+) and 4.0 with multiple publications and who's also done other non medical stuff like acted on broadway kind of people. Those people may win out over him in an acceptance to HMS or Hopkins!! Each school looks for different things.

The process is unpredictable to a certain degree when it comes to the more selective schools. I know people who have been accepted at places they thought they never had a chance and people who've been rejected from the schools they have thought they have had a shot at.

Yeah. This is true. The top 20 are a crap shoot. If you have a great application, very good scores, and so forth, you might get into 1 or 2 if you apply to all of them. There are just a lot of good applicants.

oh come on, it wasn't that bad

oh come on, it wasn't that bad

:laugh: No, you're right it wasn't, especially in comparison with some of the other things I've done in my life. I do think, however, that it was one of the more difficult tests I've taken thus far. I found it somewhat traumatizing, mostly because I was unprepared in certain areas. Overall, I just wanted to emphasize practice as a discipline and a realistic attitude to the OP, even if you think you'll do well. It never hurts to be as prepared as you can be for such an important element in the application process. Have goals, but don't assume anything. Have faith, but tie up your horses, too.

I don't think 38 is that unrealistic or arrogant.

People who talk like this rarely get the uber high scores. It's too easy to talk a big game, but actions speak larger than words. If you do a search you will find thousands of posts of individuals who assert they are "expecting" high scores. Truth of the matter is they rarely reappear on SDN after the MCAT having actually reached those goals.

Based on your posts, I'm thinking Stewart Med School is the right med school for you -- they too make grandious claims for the future which remain to be seen whether they can back up.
Be sure to post back and ask your question when you actually have an MCAT score -- until you take it, you presumptively have a zero, and are not acceptable to any US med school. I'm sure you can get more useful advice when you actually have stats.

I think you need something to base anticipation on- such as practice MCAT exams. Maybe he was basing his anticipated score on his BBA knoweldge of Six Sigma?

Look a this article...

http://www.qualitydigest.com/june05/articles/05_article.shtml

Based on his advice, I have hired a senior in college who passsed his LSAT to help me sue an adcom.... LOL

sigh....

ps- despite what this post may sugegst, I don't condone flaming fellwo sdners. I do condone flaming people who write stupid articles like the above.

LOL I'm not telling him he's shoe-in, I'm just saying plenty of ppl prolly say that. The only way you can be a shoe-in at a big name school is if you are a 4.0/40-multiple-publications-in-Nature-acted-on-Broadway Rhode Scholar whose father happens to be also the dean of admissions at the said school:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:
With the OP's stats and ECs he has a shot at those big names--I think that much we can agree on. Of course if he turns out to be a total a**hole or socially inept then that's a totally different story.