Top 10 schools for me based on my stats...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
might as well throw in my .02. I got a 30 on the ACT. My final diag score was a 34. I got a 38 on the real thing. I hate to say it, cause it seems to diminish it...but above a 35 is completly luck. The difference btw a 36 and a 37 is one or two questions. the diff btw a 29 and 30 is like 10 questions. Oh and I studied for the mcat for 9 weeks, 10 hrs a day, 7 days a week...i took three days off for 4th of july and that was about it. no, im not kidding.

im saying this only because even if you study this much, you might not get the score you want. the mcat is frankly a lot of luck. you might get an easier form, or a harder. you study the hardest you can and hope for the best. i dont think its possible to plan for anything higher than a 35, its all luck past then.

chill the f* out, focus on your studying, and just hope the mcat works out for the best...relax. you can still be a doctor if you go to a state school. what residency you getis all about step 1 scores anyway, so calm down...

Members don't see this ad.

might as well throw in my .02. I got a 30 on the ACT. My final diag score was a 34. I got a 38 on the real thing. I hate to say it, cause it seems to diminish it...but above a 35 is completly luck. The difference btw a 36 and a 37 is one or two questions. the diff btw a 29 and 30 is like 10 questions. Oh and I studied for the mcat for 9 weeks, 10 hrs a day, 7 days a week...i took three days off for 4th of july and that was about it. no, im not kidding.

im saying this only because even if you study this much, you might not get the score you want. the mcat is frankly a lot of luck. you might get an easier form, or a harder. you study the hardest you can and hope for the best. i dont think its possible to plan for anything higher than a 35, its all luck past then.

chill the f* out, focus on your studying, and just hope the mcat works out for the best...relax. you can still be a doctor if you go to a state school. what residency you getis all about step 1 scores anyway, so calm down...

eh. i dont know. i was studying with some kids that were consistently getting 39+ on every practice test (yes, missing less than a handful on each section.... i was not one of those kids, hah). there are definitely kids out there that simply dominate every sample test and miss little to no questions on each section.

for me the luck factor boils down to time management (plus there isnt a version out there thats generally easier, but there likely is a version out there that you could simply dominate since it plays to your strengths).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, but they are generally the ones who sweat every detail and sure aren't going to presume a grade until they actually have it.

very true. i was studying with one kid who was hitting 40+ on every practice. on the real thing, he froze on one physci section (probably 6-7 questions) and felt that he missed maybe 3-4. He CANCELLED.

He then re-took months later and demolished it as expected. Can you believe that? I would NEVER put myself in that anxiety-ridden situation again... especially for a score difference of maybe a 38-40 to a 34-36 or so.

Hmmm....I always thought the ones who get ridiculously high scores were the ones who didnt need to study ridiculous amounts to get those scores on the tenet that they're either just really intelligent or amazing test takers. Today, I met a shuttle driver and briefly talked to him, and he told me about how the son of a friend of his, took the boards when he was a MS1 at JHU and did well on it. Not sure how believable the story is, but those seem like the type of people who can probably demolish any standardized exam brought forth to them.

I think it's possible to get 15 on section at which you are extremely good. For me, math always has been a piece of cake. And when I took SAT math section and SAT2 Math level 2, I got both 800 on each section without even having looked at how the question samples look like. But as I didn't study, I got 500 on the verbal section :thumbdown:

Buy an MSAR http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/msar.htm and grab a stack of sticky bookmarks. Page through and mark the schools that appear to meet your criteria.

My unofficial formula for "do I have a shot" requires that you multiply your gpa by 10 and add it to your official MCAT score. Do the same using the average gpa and MCAT for the school you are considering minus 0.1 (to adjust for the fact that you have a good shot at a school where your numbers are a little less than avg for that school).

If you are planning to apply to only 10 schools aim for 2-3 reach, majority where you would be "average", and 2-3 safety. Don't apply to OOS schools where OOS applicants are unwelcome (MSAR will give you the stats on matriculants from OOS).

To get into any good residency (particularly the surgical residencies) it helps to have had research experience as a med student in that specialty. Obviously, it is going to be easiest to get this experience at a med school where plenty of this research is going on. Keep that in mind as you look at schools.

Thanks for the help. How could you best get a feel for what school would have what sort of research going on?

Hmmm....I always thought the ones who get ridiculously high scores were the ones who didnt need to study ridiculous amounts to get those scores on the tenet that they're either just really intelligent or amazing test takers. Today, I met a shuttle driver and briefly talked to him, and he told me about how the son of a friend of his, took the boards when he was a MS1 at JHU and did well on it. Not sure how believable the story is, but those seem like the type of people who can probably demolish any standardized exam brought forth to them.

All the high-scorers I've ever encountered studied their asses off for the MCAT. I only know one dude who *said* he only studied the night before and pulled off a 36.

Granted there are cases of people who've got into top research schools without publications, try again!!!!!! TOP RESEARCH SCHOOLS WANT TO PRODUCE ACADEMIC PHYSICIANS or at least try to persuade people towards doing such. Why the hell do you think they have research components to their curricula?? Just for show?? Give me a break!! Most research schools want you to have publications if possible. Most people applying to top 10 research schools have publications or substantial research experiences even if not published at least from poster conferences and other such research symposiums and what not.

I have heard of several people being accepted to Harvard without publications. Regardless of whether or not I have the opportunity to attempt to publish, I will still have had several years of research.

You are a fool and a very presumptious fool at that. It is wiser to make those ECs a reality and make those publications and MCAT score a reality before you even consider what schools you should apply to.

All of my ECs are a reality except the publication. Again, I'll be studying for my MCAT and my classes with clear goals of what schools I want to apply to, and I think I will benefit all the more because of this.

Why are you resorting to name calling? I've approached this thread with a very level head and am learning (even though 80+ posters have said the exact same thing...). Who is really the fool? The somewhat ignorant original poster, or the person who insists upon name calling and beating an already dead horse?

Thanks for the help. How could you best get a feel for what school would have what sort of research going on?

One way is to get your hands on journals on the topic that interests you and find out the locations of the authors of the papers published in that journal. Another would be to identify the National Institute that would be most likely to fund research in the area that interests you (for example, orthopedics research is likely to be funded by the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases) and find out where they have recently made grants. Another way is to look at the a particular schools clinical faculty and research interests (I googled orthopaedic department research school name) to find out what's going on at a particular school.

If you are involved in research at your undergrad school, the director of your lab may be able to tell you which medical schools have investigators who are involved in the same field. This can be a talking point on the secondary or during the interview -- that your work at xyz college drew you to an interest in Dr. X's lab. This is better if you want to see which schools might be a good fit for you. (Most applicable if you are interested in an academic career: teaching, education & research; less applicable if you just want to be a community doc.)

Be ready to discuss the "D" and the "F". These grades won't just "float by" at highly ranked schools, despite how you did later, and it's possible that some places won't be interested because of this. You'll need a good explanation.

Be ready to discuss the "D" and the "F". These grades won't just "float by" at highly ranked schools, despite how you did later, and it's possible that some places won't be interested because of this. You'll need a good explanation.

If you're going to have D's/F's, I hope they're all in one semester. I had two D's in one semester, but I had a reasonable explanation. It may have hurt me at a couple schools, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
The OP doesn't make premeds look good, but the rude responses given to him makes us look a heck of a lot worse.

If you can't say something nice...

Honestly, the best part of your app is 3 years of varsity soccer.

i have only recently realized that if i wrestled in college (as i did in high school) id probably be sitting prettier than i am now.

top schools need more than the basic reasons to pick students. numbers go only so far...and they have 1000s of applicants with sufficient numbers to fill a strong academic class... its the random cool things that you do just bc you like them that get you into those top 10 schools....ie, sports, music, etc.

Ah, BBA programs. I love it. I find they they often help contribute to an artifically inflated ego.

First of all, let me say that this is %100 true for the school I went to. I am not resentful, I actually think that it is good for them to present themselves as confident (not arrogant). Being in the buisiness sector is very different then medicine, so I agree with ssquared, I wouldn't mention this as something special.

If the ADCOM don't already know that it is an impressive degree, then you pointing that out on the application will only do harm and won't impress them.

God Almighty. Okay, so maybe "anticipating a 38" may not have been reasonable for all of you personally or for the OP (or maybe it is, we don't know that) but his point was asking for advice. So why are we all analyzing the freaking word choice!

I hate that so many people on sdn jump so quickly to accuse people of being arrogant. If you weren't insecure about your credentals/being a troll yourself/your own shattered hopes, you wouldn't be so harsh on a most probably naive but well-intentioned question!

phew.

Can't Speak for General Sugery, but if you are interested in Orthopedics, some of the good programs or bigger named programs in cities include Harvard, U Penn, Northwestern, Rush, Hopkins, Cornell / HSS, Duke, Iowa, UCSF, Mayo Clinic, Jefferson Medical School, Case Western, NYU Joint Disease Hospital, Campbell Clinic = UT Memphis, Carolinas Medical Center (No med school), Wash U in St Louis, etc. These programs will have big name attendings in Ortho that will help you with the match comes given that you do very well in medical school. But if you do well, you can get into a good ortho program from just about any US credited medical school. However, when the time comes for residency training, the type of residency that people look for can vary alot in terms of Name, Academics, lifestyle, location, Private-community, operative experience, conference schedule, fellowship placement, board passage rate, etc. The programs with the biggest names, sometimes are not the best places to train at as a orthopedic resident.

You have good stats that would be competitive at any medical school, given that you do well on the MCAT. Anticipate 38 is fine, but I can tell you that it is very hard to predict these things. Had a friend who got a 27 the first time, and then took it the 2nd time with min studying, got a 36. True story.

Hmmm....I always thought the ones who get ridiculously high scores were the ones who didnt need to study ridiculous amounts to get those scores on the tenet that they're either just really intelligent or amazing test takers.

I'll admit that I'm a decent standardized test taker and I've got some mad skillz when it comes to reading comprehension but I studied my ASS off for the MCAT.

1 1/2 - 2 hrs every weekday + 1 practice test a week + 4 hrs on Sunday reviewing the exam + full course load/volunteering/sleeping = No life for 5 months

But I would say with the MCAT after a certain point it's more important to practice than to actually study and retain information. The information on the MCAT is really basic but the format and even logic can be counter intuitive at times.

(Perhaps I missed some sarcasm there, I'm not sure. Only 1 cup of coffee so far).

I hate that so many people on sdn jump so quickly to accuse people of being arrogant. If you weren't insecure about your credentals/being a troll yourself/your own shattered hopes, you wouldn't be so harsh on a most probably naive but well-intentioned question!

phew.

You realize that a lot of the people jumping on the OP have really high MCAT scores themselves. Maybe because we know what it takes to get a high score and realize it's really foolhardy to go in expecting that score. (AIMing for that score is another thing entirely). Lots of VERY smart people don't get that high.

Anyway that's the last thing I'll post on that. Looks like the OP got some very helpful advice from LizzyM anyway. Best of luck! :)

THE GREAT AND MIGHTY TEXAS thread have decided that this is our final answer in cases like these:

voices.jpg

Hey bro,

First off, I apologize that most of these kids are giving you a hard time: its an intense world you've gotten yourself into, this premed bubble. While it is somewhat presumptuous to claim that you'll get a certain score on an exam as challenging as the MCAT, I don't blame you. Some people set the bar high and let others know about it to enable them to make good on their own ambitions. Also, you look like you've got a lot of great things going for you: many of these kids are straight up jealous. So take the flaming your getting with a grain of salt. I've been in similar situations.

Personally, I think you should aim high, but at the same time make sure that you apply to some back up schools. Schools like Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF and Duke aren't out of your reach. You should also consider schools like Michigan, Columbia, U of Chicago, Pitt, Vanderbilt, and Case. Some others to consider might be UCLA, Stanford, Yale, and Wash U. It really depends on the 1) how you resonate with the mission of the school and the students it attracts, 2) the atmosphere, and 3) the kinds of patients that you hope to deal with during your learning experience.

About the whole MCAT thing, I did the exact same thing you did: I came into my studying with a set goal in mind. While I didn't quite get the score I wanted, I was damn close. And I'll argue any day that scoring above a 36 is a matter of skill and intelligence, not simply luck. Like all things, if you want it bad enough and you work hard enough to get, I'm sure you'll get your 38.

And face it: most of you "flaming" this guy are just jealous...

peace (PM if you want more details bro)

One more thing. If I'm coming from a top ranked school in my area (business) would it be appropriate to include this in the AMCAS (most ADCOMs probably don't keep up to date with the BBA program rankings)?

Thanks!

Actually, you'd be surprised. Pretty much all of the top level med school ADCOMS have somebody with an MB/MBA or business history on their committee. There's an increasing surge in doctors going into the business world, and top 20 ADCOMS recognize that.

Heck, they knew about all the top engineering schools (G Tech/Carnie Mellon included) and even recognized what "NE" stood for on my transcript (most non-engineers think it means Near Eastern Studies... then again all the engineers think NES means Nintendo Entertainment System so I guess we're even)

You realize that a lot of the people jumping on the OP have really high MCAT scores themselves. Maybe because we know what it takes to get a high score and realize it's really foolhardy to go in expecting that score.

That's just silly. The OP said he's basing his assessment on practice tests.

My score actually went up a couple points from my practice tests.

He'll probably get somewhere between a 38 and a 40, depending on what practice tests he's referring to. Nothing wrong with that. But that's not enough in and of itself for the top schools.

Stats:

Transfer student
Currently BBA student at top 5 BBA program, top 20 school overall (is this appropriate to put on my app?)
3.7 overall GPA (got a D and F freshman year, would be 3.9 otherwise)
3.93 science GPA
Dean's list all but 1 semester (my first)
Gradaute w/ highest honors
Anticipated 38 MCAT

Varsity soccer 3 years
student council senator at large 1 yr
Service Organization VP 2 yrs
Calc. Tutor (volunteer and paid) 1 yr
ER volunteering (3hrs/week) 2.5 yrs
started nonprofit mentoring high schoolers 2 yrs
Research (hopefully published in good journal) 10hrs/week 2.5 yrs
Shadowing, 3 physicians, 50, 50, 100hrs
Summer internship in finance at Fortune 50 company

At this point in the game (I know, very early) I'm looking at general surgery (trauma? CT?) or perhaps ortho.
I would preferably like to be in a big city for med. school.

What's in bold will give you a shot at all the top 10 schools.

Everything else will be nice filler for the other 14 slots on your activities list.

I'm not kidding.

I'd give a more detailed breakdown of what stuff seems to get people in where, but I have to go to class.

Hey bro,

First off, I apologize that most of these kids are giving you a hard time: its an intense world you've gotten yourself into, this premed bubble. While it is somewhat presumptuous to claim that you'll get a certain score on an exam as challenging as the MCAT, I don't blame you. Some people set the bar high and let others know about it to enable them to make good on their own ambitions. Also, you look like you've got a lot of great things going for you: many of these kids are straight up jealous. So take the flaming your getting with a grain of salt. I've been in similar situations.

Personally, I think you should aim high, but at the same time make sure that you apply to some back up schools. Schools like Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF and Duke aren't out of your reach. You should also consider schools like Michigan, Columbia, U of Chicago, Pitt, Vanderbilt, and Case. Some others to consider might be UCLA, Stanford, Yale, and Wash U. It really depends on the 1) how you resonate with the mission of the school and the students it attracts, 2) the atmosphere, and 3) the kinds of patients that you hope to deal with during your learning experience.

About the whole MCAT thing, I did the exact same thing you did: I came into my studying with a set goal in mind. While I didn't quite get the score I wanted, I was damn close. And I'll argue any day that scoring above a 36 is a matter of skill and intelligence, not simply luck. Like all things, if you want it bad enough and you work hard enough to get, I'm sure you'll get your 38.

How much you have to learn!!! Most of the people on this thread are either done with the process or almost done with the process or aren't really planning on applying to the same schools as the OP anyhow in some cases as my own. So I'd step back and get your facts straight if I were you.

Besides, I don't know how people would be jealous of someone who hasn't even taken the test yet. If they took the test or even a series of practice tests and made their predictions based on practice scores I'd give them more credibility. But instead this poster came off as a tool who really needs to talk once he's got something concrete. The presumption that he'd get publications was also a bit much which to me and a lot of other posters came off as absolutely foolish.

If they do get both of the above, then I'll applaud them and gain more respect for them but until then I think they need to not be so arrogant.

Also, even if said things are done that does not guarantee anything in a process as hardcore as admissions to med school. I have friends who've had higher MCAT scores and GPAs and far more credentials then this poster who have gotten into some schools full scholarship (top 20 schools) while getting rejected from the top 10 kind of schools. It is the arrogance that has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

I can tell you that a good percentage of the posters on here had scores from 35-41 and another good 3-4 people are either on an adcom, graduated from med school already, or are about to graduate from medical school.

Please keep that in mind before you decide to make such assumptions.

Of course, I'm sure all of us already accepted to medical school are very, very jealous of a freshman out of his first semester. Yes, of course, makes complete sense!!!

Again, if he wanted us to inflate his ego he came to the wrong place, he's going to get truthful advice and a dose of reality here. Otherwise, just go to your mom for advice, I'm sure she will remind you how wonderful you are and how every medical school will want you.

Must... resist... voices

kitty-cat... powers... taking... over....

I'll admit that I'm a decent standardized test taker and I've got some mad skillz when it comes to reading comprehension but I studied my ASS off for the MCAT.

1 1/2 - 2 hrs every weekday + 1 practice test a week + 4 hrs on Sunday reviewing the exam + full course load/volunteering/sleeping = No life for 5 months

But I would say with the MCAT after a certain point it's more important to practice than to actually study and retain information. The information on the MCAT is really basic but the format and even logic can be counter intuitive at times.

(Perhaps I missed some sarcasm there, I'm not sure. Only 1 cup of coffee so far).

You realize that a lot of the people jumping on the OP have really high MCAT scores themselves. Maybe because we know what it takes to get a high score and realize it's really foolhardy to go in expecting that score. (AIMing for that score is another thing entirely). Lots of VERY smart people don't get that high.
Anyway that's the last thing I'll post on that. Looks like the OP got some very helpful advice from LizzyM anyway. Best of luck! :)

The bolded part is what the noobs need to realize!!!!!! I may not have a 35+ score but I've never ever acted jealous towards anyone I know who did get that score. That said, most the rest of SDN posters are always usually people in the 33-43 range. There have been people and are people on here with 40-43 as their scores. There are other people who post on here with 33-39 range scores and they aren't a minority around here. They are a dime a dozen. Look at any given past score release thread including the recent one for the january scores if you need proof of that for yourself. Take the person I'm quoting for instance. She got well within that range of 35-43, though I won't repeat her score. The fact of the matter is that while there are several people who do get 35+ scores with 2-3 weeks and even fewer with less then that amount of studying, the majority of the people with those kind of scores didn't get it easily but put a lot of work into it as in some cases as much as 6 months of studying. There are several others who are very intelligent and have high GPAs, great credentials all around in other aspects, know the material, but just couldn't get it when it came test time due to several possibilities. Maybe testing anxiety or something of that nature. It doesn't mean they are dumb just that there was something that was holding them back. There are others who did well who are smart but didn't do half as high as the OP is anticipating.

A little food for thought as cliche as it sounds: "Don't count your chicks before they've hatched"

Ok...so...Guju, who's the one being arrogant: "How much you have to learn." Hunny, who made you the expert on being "premedism"? I have no need to explain to you my situation, but trust me, the length of time I've spent on this forum has no correlation to the depth of my experience with the process of applying to medical school nor the success that I'm having. I'm simply saying that people need to lighten up on the guy. He wants advice, that's it.

And let me ask you, as a future physician: what role will you serve principally? You will ADVISE people on their concerns. Granted those concerns have to do with health, but if a patient walks into your office, and he seems like an arrogant prick, in fact he's complaining of what seems to be liver problems and is a chronic binge-drinker, are you going to refuse him service and just make fun of him? This is basically the same thing. Broaden your perspective...

Hey bro,

Applicants with 3.9, 35 numbers are a dime a dozen on this board. I seriously doubt anyone's jealous. It's nothing we haven't seen before.

Of course, I'm sure all of us already accepted to medical school are very, very jealous of a freshman out of his first semester. Yes, of course, makes complete sense!!!

Again, if he wanted us to inflate his ego he came to the wrong place, he's going to get truthful advice and a dose of reality here. Otherwise, just go to your mom for advice, I'm sure she will remind you how wonderful you are and how every medical school will want you.

You think you're so great for being accepted to a medical school! I hope my family or I never have a physician like you. Btw, it looks like you'll be going to UT-Southwestern, and you SDN name is Baylormed: it looks like someone should have spent a little more time studying, and a little less time on SDN...

your pride preceeds you homeboy...cool it down...

You think you're so great for being accepted to a medical school! I hope my family or I never have a physician like you. Btw, it looks like you'll be going to UT-Southwestern, and you SDN name is Baylormed: it looks like someone should have spent a little more time studying, and a little less time on SDN...

doesn't Baylormed's name come from attending Baylor as an undergrad?

you're kind of a jerk, buddy. your SN is BetterNBest. at least "baylormed" isn't making claims about superiority...

That's just silly. The OP said he's basing his assessment on practice tests.

My score actually went up a couple points from my practice tests.

He'll probably get somewhere between a 38 and a 40, depending on what practice tests he's referring to. Nothing wrong with that. But that's not enough in and of itself for the top schools.
How does that address the point I was trying to make?

I was replying to the poster's insinuation that the people jumping on the OP were "insecure" about their scores which obviously isn't the case for at least a few of the posters.

And I believe he said he was basing the prediction on other previous standardized tests.

I think it is you who needs to cool it down. And besides the last I checked, UT-Southwestern isn't some easy podunk university to get into. UTSW is # 19 just above Northwestern and UNC-Chapel Hill in the rankings. It may not be as hihgly ranked as Baylor but it is in the top 20 and top 20 schools are by no means easy to get into.

Besides you know nothing about the posters on here besides what you've read in response to this thread. Hell you may even come across many of us some day if you live in whatever state we live in at the time and may never know it so I'd suggest you rethink those statements because a lot of these posters may be your physician some day and you wouldn't have the slightest idea.

You think our responses are a response of how we'd act with patients but therein lies your problem. We know how to act in a professional setting but this is a student forum and hardly any basis of comparison of how we'd behave in our professional careers. For instance, the much loved yet harsh Panda Bear MD who posts on here can by all means rip into someone. So can 4th year med students like "Tired" but I highly doubt that their harsh criticisms on SDN are a judge of their knowledge of their field or the way in which they treat their patients.

My screen name is Baylormed because my undergrad institution is Baylor University.

As for the rest, I'm not even going to bother. Oh yeah...thanks to an above poster for pointing out that UTSW is a top 20 school. I usually wouldn't bring it up but under these circumstances, I will.