Top 10 Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prmdbeach17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your opinion, what are the top 10 medical schools? Not based on where you would want to go b/c/o location, etc or on US News (though I'm sure many of the schools are on that list)-but when someone says "top 10," what schools do you think of?

Members don't see this ad.

In your opinion, what are the top 10 medical schools? Not based on where you would want to go b/c/o location, etc or on US News (though I'm sure many of the schools are on that list)-but when someone says "top 10," what schools do you think of?

What a strange question... If I can't base my opinion on "location, etc" or the US News Report (which, by the way, is a good indicator of the top research schools), then what else is there to go by?

this may be influenced from USNews but here:
Harvard, UPenn, Wash U, JHU, Cornell, Stanford, Columbia, Northwestern, Duke, and Albany Medical College

Members don't see this ad :)

I immediately think of Harvard, Wash U, and Hopkins, then I have to pause...really, who cares?

Harvard, UPenn, Wash U, JHU, Cornell, Stanford, Columbia, Northwestern, Duke, and Albany Medical College

I agree about AMC (I applied there so it must be a great school!), but I'm not sure about UPenn. It's such a new school. I think it's too early to tell if it will be great...:p

Like with most 'Could be a Top 10 *Anything*' lists, my Top 10 includes 12 (in no particular order):
  • UT-Dallas
  • Vandy
  • UNC
  • Colorado
  • Penn
  • Duke
  • UCSF
  • Harvard
  • UW(ashington)
  • Baylor
  • Pitt
  • UCLA

And just because, I've created a Top 5 from my 'Top 10' and here they are (again, in no particular order):
  • Harvard
  • Penn
  • UCSF
  • UW
  • Bayolor

And just because (again), I've created a Top 2 from my 'Top 5' and here they are (again x 2, in no particular order):
  • UCSF
  • UW

And yes, I'm being redundant.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I think you spelled UCSF, Yale and/or UWash wrong

you guys are forgetting the indisputable top medical school, not just in the u.s., but in the world:

Stewart University

;) Pretty sure Cornell was spelled right.

HAHAHA!! WHoops...I even looked it over thrice, just to make sure one of them wasn't in your list...I need to get my vision checked again, now that I'm legally blind:oops:

What a strange question... If I can't base my opinion on "location, etc" or the US News Report (which, by the way, is a good indicator of the top research schools), then what else is there to go by?

I'm aware it's a good indicator of top research schools & that a lot of people use it to rank schools which is why I said a lot of top 10 lists will include those schools. But many people feel there are other schools that would be considered top 10, 15, whatever, that aren't on that list.

And if I said base it on your own list, which would go by location, cost, and everything else that's important to each person, everyone would wonder what use that is to anyone else.

I immediately think of Harvard, Wash U, and Hopkins, then I have to pause...really, who cares?

Well who cares about what caucasian/black/short/bald/anything else people can think of threads are out there...I'm just curious as to what schools people think are top ones b/c I've heard so many schools being called the best on sdn.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really differs for everyone since the only objective way to rank is by research dollars. My personal top 10 in no particular order:

Dartmouth
UPenn
HMS
Hopkins
MSSM
Columbia
Cornell
Pittsburgh
Northwestern
Yale

and yes, these happen to rank with the rankings on USNews... wahtever...

I'm aware it's a good indicator of top research schools & that a lot of people use it to rank schools which is why I said a lot of top 10 lists will include those schools. But many people feel there are other schools that would be considered top 10, 15, whatever, that aren't on that list.

Okay then... name one school that is considered top 10 that isn't on the US News list?

I nominate Mayo for top 10. But honestly, there is little point of trying to compile any official-ish list. It's all pretty much subjective, unless you're going to categorize by a more specific criterion than "top."

I vote this the most useless thread on SDN!

Feel free to vote this the most useless post.

In no particular order

UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UCD
UCI
Stanford
USC
Loma Linda
WesternU/COMP
Touro CA

Agreed the best schools are in Cali.:D

California knows how to party.

I'm going going back to back to Cali Cali

Every school grants an MD, and the curriculum for medical students is harshly standardized. What matters is how hard you work your ass off to kill the boards. Noone will care what medical school you came from. (Unless its stewart university. lol)

I wonder how many pre-meds would catch a Nuh nuh-toooorious reference.

I thought it was: I'm going going, back back, to Cali Cali

UT Southwestern
UTMB
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
Baylor College of Medicine
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
UNT - TCOM
Rice University School of Medicine
SMU Medical College

UT Southwestern
UTMB
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
Baylor College of Medicine
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
UNT - TCOM
Rice University School of Medicine
SMU Medical College

You would wish it was so, you dirty Aggie.

Seriously, med school in Austin would be awesome. :thumbup:

Everyone keeps saying UTMB will eventually have one there, I'm not so sure it's true. Also, A&M will have a branch in Round Rock (and RealMD, in case you're reading, I know that Round Rock is not Austin ;))

My top two schools are UCSF and UCLA in that order.

I am from the East Coast, but I have dreamed about California ever since I was little. San Francisco is the true City on a Hill, a shining beacon of light for the rest of the world to follow. A ray of hope in a world of shadow.

Well,

WFU
Duke
UNC chapel hill
ECU

those are the only 4 that matter:thumbup::thumbup:

I vote this the most useless thread on SDN!

Feel free to vote this the most useless post.

Ohh you all are so helpful. How is this less useful than the threads of people complaining about their classes and posting that they can't seem to stop wasting their time while they should be studying...while they're wasting their time on sdn...

Okay then... name one school that is considered top 10 that isn't on the US News list?

1.Harvard University (MA)
2.Johns Hopkins University (MD)
3.University of Pennsylvania
4.Washington University in St. Louis
5.University of California–San Francisco
6.University of Washington
7.Stanford University (CA)
8.Duke University (NC)
8.Yale University (CT)
10.Baylor College of Medicine (TX)

-People mention Cornell, all the UC's, Dartmouth, Mayo, UPitt...

1.Harvard University (MA)
2.Johns Hopkins University (MD)
3.University of Pennsylvania
4.Washington University in St. Louis
5.University of California–San Francisco
6.University of Washington
7.Stanford University (CA)
8.Duke University (NC)
8.Yale University (CT)
10.Baylor College of Medicine (TX)

-People mention Cornell, all the UC's, Dartmouth, Mayo, UPitt...

Cornell, all the UC's, Dartmouth, Mayo, and Pitt are all schools that are on the US News list....What's your point...?

the UCs dominate... Texas can't even compete

add University of Florida, i heard its impossible to get in there