Top 20 Applicants who received II's from previous cycles with average mcat/gpa at T20's...

thedarkniteeee

2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Approximately what date did you receive your II's? I know it's still early, but I was just wondering because the trend seems to be Ultra high stats = earliest II's

21Rush12

Searching a cave behind a waterfall
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
This is a pointless endeavor. Varies by school, by complete date, by applicants preferred ice cream flavor, whether or not mercury is in retrograde, etc.

Sometimes better stats = earlier invite, sometimes not. Probably before thanksgiving, maybe even before November.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

About the Ads

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
1) Schools are seeking best qualified applicants
2) academic metrics are an important indicator of ability to academic challenges in med school
3) schools must work thru thousands of applications that need to be classified and prioritized
4) there are finite number of interview slots that are assigned on rolling basis
5) therefore schools will generally prioritize higher stat applicants for earlier II. This is a very broad generalization and is by no means a hard and fast "rule"

Reactions: Goro
Sep 27, 2017
Winterfell
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
If you're trying to confirm whether ultra high stats correlate with earlier interviews, a friend who received a 528 on his MCAT (and a 3.9+ GPA) ended up with 13-16 interviews before the end of September after being complete in early August. He received 2-3 more in early October, and that was that.

I compared his application timeline with others who went to our undergrad, and he received his interviews by far the earliest. Most fellow students received the bulk of theirs in October and November.

Last edited:

The Knife & Gun Club

MS - 4
2+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2015
Hollywood Upstairs Medical College
Status
Medical Student
If you're trying to confirm whether ultra high stats correlate with earlier interviews, a friend who received a 528 on his MCAT (and a 3.9+ GPA) ended up with 13-16 interviews before the end of September after being complete in early August. He received 2-3 more in early October, and that was that.

I compared his application timeline with others who went to our undergrad, and he received his interviews by far the earliest. Most fellow students received the bulk of theirs in October and November.
Approximately what date did you receive your II's? I know it's still early, but I was just wondering because the trend seems to be Ultra high stats = earliest II's
Many schools use stratifying and screening techniques to get the high stat or otherwise desirable applicants in the door early.

For example I know of a school (not mine): that has done a regression analysis of class/board pass rates + graduation rates correlated with undergrad GPA and MCAT, while adjusting for undergrad school. The result is that people with stats that correlate to less than 80% chance of graduation w/o failures are screened and reviewed later in the cycle.

calivianya

2+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
You're also assuming a certain timeline for primary/secondary submission. If a superstar, so to speak, waited until late September to submit primary and mid-October to finish secondaries, this person obviously wouldn't be interviewing in August.

It would be more useful to ask how many days after a school states that you are complete did you get an II... and even that's subjective. I'm far from a superstar applicant, but I got turned around to an II six days after receiving the complete status email at one place. Couldn't believe they processed me so quickly. I haven't even been marked "under review" some places yet...

About the Ads