Top 20 chances? (3.7 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, 35, URM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyphix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.7 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, 9 V / 13 PS / 13 BS, Harvard undergrad / AA female / GA resident

150+ hrs clinical volunteering (community health van for homeless, free clinic)
50 hrs shadowing (neurosurgeon, ICU, primary care)
600+ hrs research, one presentation but no pubs yet (one may come in the fall)
500+ hrs nonclinical volunteering (teaching health ed in cambridge public schools, tutoring)
Club soccer (co-captain) - 4 yrs
good amount of other leadership + student orgs

solid LOR, solid PS (want to work in underserved minority communities)

I need help constructing a school list! I have a good amount of the top 20 schools on it (want to limit my list to 20) but not sure if it's too top heavy

edit: tentative list:
Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Columbia University College of P & S
Duke University School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents University
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York University
Northwestern University (Feinberg)
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Stanford University School of Medicine
University of Chicago - Pritzker
University of Michigan Medical School
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Weill Medical College of Cornell University
Yale University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want a list of 20 schools and you have a good amount of the top 20 schools on it, then its too top heavy. Post the list for better suggestions.

You will be strongly considered at every school you apply to.

But even the most stellar applicants should round out their list. If its 20 schools, I would think half should be mid tier as the top schools can be a bit of a crap shoot.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want a list of 20 schools and you have a good amount of the top 20 schools on it, then its too top heavy. Post the list for better suggestions.

done, thanks

Application looks strong, as does your list. I don't imagine you will have much trouble this cycle.

thanks for the advice! any schools i should add/delete? i'm aiming to submit this weekend

At 19 schools, you already have a lot of secondaries to deal with. You can consider adding another school similar to NYU in stats/competitiveness/tier, but otherwise I think you will be fine.

I think you will definitely be admitted to one of the top med schools. However, I think you should also toss in a few safeties just in case.

Your overall MCAT is great, but that 9 may hurt you at some places. This process is still a bit unpredictable.

Since you are from Georgia consider applying to: Mercer for an instate safety.

Tufts and maybe Temple, Drexel, or TJU would also be a good addition.

Shoot for the top, I guarantee that you will have multiple acceptances to choose from.