Top 20 progs with a below average step 1

prostate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2004
    I am sorry if this question has already been answered but coud not find it.

Coming from a top 5 med school with a below national average Step 1 but high 220's Step 2 with good grades, what are my chances at a top 20 IM program?

Thanks

About the Ads

prostate

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jun 25, 2004
      So, here is some more info if it helps get the numbers more precise past the tenth decimal place. :)

Good third year grades but no AOA. Solid leters (though everyone says that). No research.

BlackNDecker

Paid da cost 2 be da bo$$
      10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Jun 8, 2005
      Pole Position
      www.swolehead.com
        I'm assuming by top 20 you're referring to US N&WR rankings and that you literally mean "top 20"...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here but I think for these schools you need:

Honors/>90% in Medicine clerkship and any one of the following:
        1)AOA
        2)230+ boards
        3)research and pubs
        4)world traveler or life changing experience

I bet everyone in the IM match this year with 230+ and AOA is applying to these schools. It's probably ok to apply with one or the other BUT...you're applying with neither of these AND no research. Uphill battle my friend, but you have nothing to lose by applying. BTW, I'd part on the left if I were you...scientifically proven to make men more desirable by 3.4%.

Linus2007

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Mar 16, 2007
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          I think the best answer is 0% if you decide not to apply to Top 20 programs and X% if you do apply. That can be the only correct answer. Truth is, you never know what your chances are and the best way to find out is if you just go for it. If it is financially feasible then I suggest you do it, don't rule yourself out beforehand. AOA, Honours in Medicine, Research and top notch board scores are important but does that guarentee you an interview spot? My guess is no. Does not having these guarentee that you won't get a an interview spot? No again. I totally agree with Black N'Decker that it may be uphill but who knows. I think you should also talk to your program director. Program Directors worth their weight should know a lot about other rpograms and how they usually feel about candidates. They usually know each other (or they should). Also look at last year's match list to see where your fellow students went. My med school is good but no Harvard etc but we have a few students placed at Stanford and BID and they really like the students they get from our school. Our OB dept loved the students they got from Oregon so now all future applicants from that school gets closely looked at. Of course this can work against you if the previous student was an @ss. So bottom line just go for it!!! and Good luck!!!:hardy:

Rasengan

Hokage
          10+ Year Member
          Nov 1, 2007
          1. Medical Student
            I am sorry if this question has already been answered but coud not find it.

Coming from a top 5 med school with a below national average Step 1 but high 220's Step 2 with good grades, what are my chances at a top 20 IM program?

Thanks

Too many variables, but from a top 5 medical school its very likely your home program as well as programs that tend to take a lot of people from your school (which I imagine would be top 20 programs) would be very viable. But hard to say without more info.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.