Top 200 Drugs...PTCB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Julia_2416

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Julia and I will be graduating High School in May. I plan on taking the Pharmacy Technician Certification exam this summer. I have been studying the pharmacytrainer notebook and think it's great. It also comes with the notecards for the top 200 drugs. Now I've been studying my 'butt' off trying to remember all the Brand names etc. And to tell you guys the truth...it's really dull and boring :sleep: . I don't mind studying...I'm just wondering if any of you came up with any 'fun' ideas os studying those 200 drugs?
Julia

Members don't see this ad.

Eh...I don't remember top 200 drugs being on the PTCE..unless the test has changed. I know that it is mandatory in Pharmacy school, but for PTCE???

What I remember being on the PTCE was Schedules of the Drugs, like controlled substance & highly addictive drugs.

I'm taking a Pharmacy course that I have had to learn the drugs and this is how I go about it.

1. I group them in therepeutic classes
2. I Type them out in a table format
3. I have the last columN blank where I create Mnemonic with the important
info.

Hope this helps

:luck:

Yes, there are quite a few questions about drugs on the PTCE.

Its only generic/brand, class, route of administration. Nothing really technical.

I would search around on the internet and see if you can find some mnemonics for learning the names. Or get creative and try to come up with ones on your own. Jeannetta's PTCB Study Group (http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/JeanettasPTCBStudyGroup/), may have some hints.

I just took the PTCE and passed with a 750 out of 900 (650 is passing). I didn't know any of the generic/brand equivalents when I took the test and I only remember one generic/brand equivalent question on my test. I don't think you should stress too much on memorizing these.

I would focus mainly on math, prescription terminology, and pharmacy basics.

Good luck on the exam!

Members don't see this ad :)
SCCpharm said:
I just took the PTCE and passed with a 750 out of 900 (650 is passing). I didn't know any of the generic/brand equivalents when I took the test and I only remember one generic/brand equivalent question on my test. I don't think you should stress too much on memorizing these.

Good luck on the exam!

Agreed. Focus on the math part. Best way to memorize drug names is by actually working in a pharmacy. The flash card method is kind of pointless for long term retention, but I am kind of biased as I don't remember things well unless I have an application for the topic. An alternative to the flash cards might be reading some articles on new drug approvals (published yearly) in Pharmacy Times, US Pharmacist, or Drug Topics (all of which are online and I think for free). This method may help more if you need some context to assist w/ memorization (i.e. how the drug is used). However, I 'd only reccomend this if you have the time. The math is really the most impt. part.

Good Luck!!

Thank all of you so much. Now I'm not as stressed out, mainly because math is probably the easiest part for me...(numbers just 'click' in my mind :p ). I might shadow one of the local pharmacists during the summer to get more into the drug names etc. Is it possible to work for a pharmacist even if your not a technician...because shadowing would be fun to do, but I'd like to acctually do things (and get paid... :) ).
Julia

Julia_2416 said:
Thank all of you so much. Now I'm not as stressed out, mainly because math is probably the easiest part for me...(numbers just 'click' in my mind :p ). I might shadow one of the local pharmacists during the summer to get more into the drug names etc. Is it possible to work for a pharmacist even if your not a technician...because shadowing would be fun to do, but I'd like to acctually do things (and get paid... :) ).
Julia

See if your local pharmacy is looking for pharmacy clerks ... they're like technicians, except they can't do certain things like pull drugs off the shelves ... at my local Albertsons/Safeway/Vons/Savon, all the clerks do is basically ring up the sale - a cashiering type position. But you're still in a pharmacy ...

Hi :)
I'm hoping to take this test in Sept. too. What books / guides do you recommend? The ptcb website suggests so many options and I don't know what's good. Amazon review doesn't help that much either.

Thank you :)

jin said:
Hi :)
I'm hoping to take this test in Sept. too. What books / guides do you recommend? The ptcb website suggests so many options and I don't know what's good. Amazon review doesn't help that much either.

Thank you :)

This is the only book I used and I did excellent: Certification Review For Pharmacy Technicians - by Noah Reifman

FluoroQuinolone said:
This is the only book I used and I did excellent: Certification Review For Pharmacy Technicians - by Noah Reifman

thank you, FluoroQuinolone :)

to study the top 200 or not? I am so stressed out about studying. I have picked up 12 different books on pharmacy technician. They are pretty much the same, but some contradict each other. I take the tests at the back of the books, but dont do very good. I am stressed that I will fail the test the first time, and I dont want to of course.

How long does it take to get the results? If I take the test in Sept, and dont pass, will I have time to sign up for the one in Nov?

I read and read and read, and sometimes feel like I am getting nowhere.

fiftycats

Speaking of studying 200 drugs, I'm currently taking a pharmacy technician course at a local tech college and am beyond frustrated with it. Early on in the course is a module wherein we have to memorize the 200 most commonly prescribed drugs in 2005 including the trade name, generic name, drug classification, dosage forms and dosage strengths. Does this seem right?

SCCpharm said:

Good luck on the exam!
Hey! I'm about to take it REALLY soon! On July 22nd.. I haven't studied drugs much, but HOPEFULLY what you say is true! So you really didn't know much about the drug names? And what type of stuff do you mean by prescription terminology?

Just out of curiosity, about how much can you miss and still pass?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions! Sorry I'm asking so much!

EDIT: Oh yeah and do you really have to know all the different laws that went into effect?

I just signed up for the sept test. I am anxious to take it, but am not ready yet. I hope to be ready by then.
Post after you take the test, and let us know what we need to study. I hear there are 8 different tests. Did you take a class or study on your own, or do on the job training? I am doing it all on my own. thought I would get training, but its not working like I figured it would. What books have you been studying? Can you recommend any?
thanks
fiftycats

turkeysandwich said:
Hey! I'm about to take it REALLY soon! On July 22nd.. I haven't studied drugs much, but HOPEFULLY what you say is true! So you really didn't know much about the drug names? And what type of stuff do you mean by prescription terminology?

Just out of curiosity, about how much can you miss and still pass?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions! Sorry I'm asking so much!

EDIT: Oh yeah and do you really have to know all the different laws that went into effect?

Hi Julia,

For the PTCB exam, you need to know the math cold. About 75% of your study time should be on math. Practice until you can quickly do every math problem in your books.

You also need to know something about the common OTC drugs. Don't try to memorize the top 200; it won't help much for the exam, although it will help you when you start working in a pharmacy.

I should add that you also need to know conversions with absolute certainty: kg/lb, F/C degrees, etc.

Julia_2416 said:
Hello everyone. My name is Julia and I will be graduating High School in May. I plan on taking the Pharmacy Technician Certification exam this summer. I have been studying the pharmacytrainer notebook and think it's great. It also comes with the notecards for the top 200 drugs. Now I've been studying my 'butt' off trying to remember all the Brand names etc. And to tell you guys the truth...it's really dull and boring :sleep: . I don't mind studying...I'm just wondering if any of you came up with any 'fun' ideas os studying those 200 drugs?
Julia

I heard today, from a friend who knows a tech. He said she was able to call and get her results a few days after taking the test. I dont believe him. Anyone know for sure? It would be nice to know that quickly instead of waiting.
What if I fail the test, will I have time to sign up for the next one?

fiftycats

After taking the test I believe the most important thing about the top drugs is to know their class and uses. You should be able to do well just by knowing the most frequent terms and not a total list of the top 200, generic names and all. Hope everyone did well on the test. Here's to waiting a month!

most frequent terms? explain what you mean by that. Can you give us a list of which are the top drugs? What about math? how much math was on it? I am totally freaking out about taking the test in Sept. I read one board where it says its mostly math, and not to worry about the top drugs then another board that says know everything about the drugs you can. I am so stressed I am affraid to take the test cuz I feel like I will fail

Poland said:
After taking the test I believe the most important thing about the top drugs is to know their class and uses. You should be able to do well just by knowing the most frequent terms and not a total list of the top 200, generic names and all. Hope everyone did well on the test. Here's to waiting a month!

fiftycats said:
most frequent terms? explain what you mean by that. Can you give us a list of which are the top drugs? What about math? how much math was on it? I am totally freaking out about taking the test in Sept. I read one board where it says its mostly math, and not to worry about the top drugs then another board that says know everything about the drugs you can. I am so stressed I am affraid to take the test cuz I feel like I will fail

For instance, if you are currently employed at a pharmacy then you may recognize a priority on certain drugs and their generics. Read the chapters on what the major kinds of drugs are, such as heart meds, anti-inflamatory meds, sedatives, etc. Basically, if you feel you should and actually could memorize all of the top 200 drugs then that's wonderful. If not, check out the major categories covered in your study manual and then compare it to pinpoint what meds are actually discussed, etc.

I would absolutely focus the most time on understanding the math calculations. Important math to know is basic conversions, because you will use them, working on percentages with solutions, and of course the regular ratio and proportion calculations. That's my $.02 from the recent test. We haven't gotten our results back yet so time will tell.

Hi,

Did you study from any books in particular? Can you please give me the name and author. I looked for books on Amazon, but after reading the comments from reviewers I was discouraged. Can you please give any advise. Thank you.