top 3 cancers in women?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coconut lime

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just had a Qbank question that asked me for the 3 most common causes of cancer in women. i chose "lung, breast, ovary"...but the right answer was "breast, lung, colon, rectum"....does anybody have a source that says breast cancer is the #1 most prevalent CA in women? because BRS and robbins both say that lung is #1, breast is #2. first aid agrees with Qbank. can anyone clarify please??

Members don't see this ad.

The #1 CA in both men and women are gender specific (i.e. prostate/breast), followed by lung and colon. The greatest mortality for both is lung tho.

So:

Men-incidence:
1. Prostate
2. Lung
3. Colon

Men-mortality
1. Lung
2. Colon
3. Prostate

Women-incidence
1. Breast
2. Lung
3. Colon

Women-mortality
1. Lung
2. Colon
3. Breast

(note that this does not take into account skin CA, which the tests never do either).

Idiopathic:

You got that from your boy Goljan didn't you? I was surprised you didn't include th GYN cancers, incidence and mortality:

Incidence:
1. endometrial
2. ovarian
3. cervical (cause dysplasia commonly caught c pap)

Mortaility
1. ovarian
2. cervical
3. endometrial

Spang

I agree with both idiopathic and spang. And both questions are pretty common ones, IMHO. Certainly something to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also: the ONLY cancer whose incidence has been reduced due to screening methods is cervical CA, due to the ability to catch the CA at its cellular level.

Most sources are pretty accurate on the relative incidence/mortality...but I have seen it wrong in FA before.

Originally posted by Idiopathic

Men-incidence:
1. Prostate
2. Lung
3. Colon

Men-mortality
1. Lung
2. Colon
3. Prostate

Women-incidence
1. Breast
2. Lung
3. Colon

Women-mortality
1. Lung
2. Colon
3. Breast

Print this out. Seems to be consistent with all of the heavy hitter review books out there.