Top 3 Core rotation sites at your school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StriveToBeDr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, can senior students from your DO school list the top 3 core rotations sites of your school? (for IM)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, can senior students from your DO school list the top 3 core rotations sites of your school? (for IM)

Thanks

What do you mean "top?" Best teaching? Best hands on experience? Biggest hospital? Most residency programs? Highest patient load? Hospital name that pre-meds would recognize?

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you will likely only do your core rotations at one site primarily, how would anybody know the "top 3"? I guess people can comment on whether they had a good IM experience at their site but I don't know how anybody could comment on the best 3 when they don't have anything to compare it to unless they did sub-i's or extra electives at another core site.

the best 3 teaching hospitals overall.

You are asking thousands of people to concur on what hospitals they had their best experiences? Good luck lol. One of my better rotations as far as teaching is concerned was a small 250 bed hospital commuinty hospital. It's not the hospital - it's the residents/attendings you are assigned to.

If you want to do IM, you definitely want to do your core IM rotation at a site that actually has a residency program. This way you can get letters of recommendation from faculty, you'll understand the teaching hospital "dynamics" necessary for residency, and you can discuss the hospital during your residency interview if the topic comes up. I went to NSU-COM and did my three core months at Mt Sinai Medical Center, which has both an ACGME and AOA IM program. I felt that it prepared me very well. Can't really comment on other sites since I didn't rotate at them, but NSU has other rotation sites at Broward General, Palmetto, and Largo, all of which have AOA residencies as well.