Quantcast

Top 3 favorite programs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDWoochie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know no one is willing to post rank lists, but how 'bout top 3-5 programs, just want to see what people liked. I'll start.

UNC-chapel Hill, Columbia St. Marys, University of Michigan, Allina (ST. Paul, MN), Long Beach.

Faebinder

Slow Wave Smurf
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's pretty much impossible to point the top 3 favorite programs since all programs have a limit number of spots for interviews.... so it's hard to determine if you like something when you havent seen it.

chibihamsta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'll list mine in alphabetical order: fairfax VA, harbor UCLA, kaiser LA, UVA, york PA :)

MDWoochie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's pretty much impossible to point the top 3 favorite programs since all programs have a limit number of spots for interviews.... so it's hard to determine if you like something when you havent seen it.

Duh...just want to know what people liked out of what they did see. there's nothing wrong with being curious.

lucydm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
in alpha order: Beth Israel (NY), Brown (RI), JFK (NJ), Overlook (NJ), Portland (ME).

heathers40

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Top 5 in no particular order: Univ. of TN - Chattanooga; Spartanburg, SC; Univ. of LA - Shreveport; MCG - Augusta, GA; Univ. of South AL - Mobile.

MDWoochie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like this, no one's naming the same programs, which means the match works!!!

Tn Family MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Top 5 in no particular order: Univ. of TN - Chattanooga; Spartanburg, SC; Univ. of LA - Shreveport; MCG - Augusta, GA; Univ. of South AL - Mobile.

Did you interview at any other programs in Tennessee besides Chattanooga? I really liked their program when I interviewed there. It was such a huge loss for their program and indeed for the Family Medicine community as a whole when Dr. Graves passed away recently. He was a very intelligent, dynamic faculty member. And so young too.

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Waco Family Practice, Christus Santa Rosa (San Antonio), John Peter Smith (Ft. Worth)

I'm seriously laying awake at night trying to decide...ugh....

Two more weeks!

Canadian Bacon

Bringing sexy back!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
in alpha order: Beth Israel (NY), Brown (RI), JFK (NJ), Overlook (NJ), Portland (ME).

I also interviewed at JFK back in November, but I'm not going to rank them. The only "pro" about the program I liked was that its unopposed. But I guess no two applicants are the same....

Anywho, Here are my top 4.....havn't decided on the order yet: U of Buffalo, U of Rochester, Fairview, and MCW/St Joseph

Horseradish99

Old World Primate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Top 3 in alpha order...

Cascades East (OR)
Ohio State Rural (OH)
Prov St. Peter's (WA)

fpdoc06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current resident at Medical College of Wisconsin/St. Joseph. Good Luck, Canadian Bacon!
Also, dont trust everyone's list about programs here, since you dont know if they want to influence your ranking. All the best on the match, guys....

Doc Oc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In no particular order

lucydm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I also interviewed at JFK back in November, but I'm not going to rank them. The only "pro" about the program I liked was that its unopposed. But I guess no two applicants are the same....

Anywho, Here are my top 4.....havn't decided on the order yet: U of Buffalo, U of Rochester, Fairview, and MCW/St Joseph

I got a really good feeling from the residents there, and I liked the unopposed aspect. They have an incredible amt of autonomy (good but also a little scary) and seemed to be getting great procedures/experience. Strong OB, too, lots of numbers. Also, light call and lots of residents w/kids.

People want different things from residency - that's why the match isn't a total failure.

Did, you Canadian Bacon, interview at other Jersey programs? What did you think of them?

Canadian Bacon

Bringing sexy back!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
JFK was the only NJ program I interviewed at. The only reason why I interviewed there is because my fiancee also lives in NJ....I was considering of ranking JFK just so I could be close to her, but I knew that I wouldn't truly be happy at the residency. She keeps telling me to choose places that will I will be happy working at.

I also had an interview offer at Overlook, but I cancelled at the last minute.

slim shanie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like this much better than the "post your rank list" thing...
Also in alpha order:

Macneal (Berwyn, IL)
Moses Cone (Greensboro, NC)
South Bend St. Josephs

VuDOo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Top 5 in alphabetical order:

Duluth Grad MEC - Duluth, MN
Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids, MI
Memorial - South Bend, IN
Siouxland - Sioux City, IA
University of Wisconsin - Madison, WI

DMAKSIMOVIC

baby gouda
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like this, no one's naming the same programs, which means the match works!!!

In no particular order...

I got Allina and Columbia St. Mary's also......then UICOMP (Peoria, IL), Clarkson in Omaha, and UMKC Lakewood in KC, MO.

Good luck with the couple's match......how many did you guys end up ranking?

MDWoochie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In no particular order...

I got Allina and Columbia St. Mary's also......then UICOMP (Peoria, IL), Clarkson in Omaha, and UMKC Lakewood in KC, MO.

Good luck with the couple's match......how many did you guys end up ranking?

Thanks. We have like 17 ranks, but after number 8, they are at alternating programs, one of us matched and one not. Unfortunately my husband didn't up getting interviews in Wisconsin, so Columbia-ST. Mary's is out, which is too bad because it was my favorite. I ranked Allina, but it is at the end of my list because my husband's closest program is at Mayo (70 miles away), so I doubt you and I would conflict. Good luck to you too!!!