Top-40 State School vs. Unranked State School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADSigMel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to be as general as I can here without giving too much away, since it's a pretty specific situation.

School X - Top-40 state MD school

Pros: Excellent research opportunities; home residency programs in pretty much every conceivable specialty; lots of family live there (this might be a con in some situations, but I have 3 little kids, so I need all the help I can get)

Cons: Large class size (I'm worried about just being a number); Logistical nightmare (more on this below in the overview)

School Y - Unranked state MD school

Pros: Already live in the area, so no need to move; small class size

Cons: Research opportunities not as great as at the other school; very few home residency programs, especially in the surgical fields; regionally known as a "primary care school" (which is great and necessary, just not the best fit for my goals); all the really cool/interesting/difficult cases get transferred to School X; no family in the area (though lots of friends, since we already live here)

Overview: Cost is basically a non-issue since both have offered comparable scholarships. But logistically, School X would be pretty difficult for my family to manage. It would require moving my family of 5 to a new city, my spouse finding a new job (or staying at the current job for awhile, leaving me alone to manage 3 children and medical school), AND (this is a big one) having to spend my clinical years at a branch campus over an hour away from the main campus, unless I can get my campus assignment changed. Spending two years away from my spouse and children, after already making them move to a new city, and change schools and job, just seems cruel. But maybe it's worth it to have the opportunities that School X can provide? This is what I need help weighing.

Members don't see this ad.

Hard decision but I would pick school Y. They are both US MD schools so you will have research opportunities either way. It may be harder to pursue them at school Y but if you are capable and talented to get into school X, you can succeed in school Y. Family life is important and it is very hard to justify sacrificing it to pursue some additional opportunities.

Reactions: 5 users
Hard decision but I would pick school Y. They are both US MD schools so you will have research opportunities either way. It may be harder to pursue them at school Y but if you are capable and talented to get into school X, you can succeed in school Y. Family life is important and it is very hard to justify sacrificing it to pursue some additional opportunities.
I think this is awesome advice. If you were accepted to both X and Y, there is no reason you can't succeed at Y with the mentality of attending X or Y. Based on what you wrote it looks like Pro Y > (Pro X + Con X) and Con X > Con Y, therefore choose Y. Basically, the Cons of X are too substantial and don't offset the Pros of X relative to the Pros of Y to justify not taking Y even though Pro X > Pro Y.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the guidance, guys. My ego wants me to go to School X, but it’s also important to me to make this crazy life transition as smooth as I can for my family.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
One thing to consider is that School X may offer a few extra opportunities for residency - so you might be moving your family once, but there's a good chance you could stay there through residency. The first year will be awkward and the third year will be awkward, but the future benefits may be worth it. School Y does not have the same opportunities, so you'll likely have to move your family for residency. So the choice to me looks like some awkwardness now for future stability (School X) vs stability now for future unknown (School Y).

Definitely a difficult and complicated decision!

Go to South ;) I really don't think your opportunities will be limited. Your family circumstances outweigh everything else.

Yeah, I know. I’m talking about UAB and South Alabama. That pretty much blows my anonymity, since I’m reasonably sure I’m the only person from Mobile with three kids who was accepted to both of those schools this cycle. Hope I haven’t said anything too crazy on this site that I wouldn’t want people who know me to know I said. Lol

Reactions: 1 users
As another guy with kids and a family I would just go to South. Family happiness trumps all honestly. And if you are creative and motivated enough then I doubt South will hold you back from what you want to do. Just make a plan of how to get where you want to get to and then follow it.

Reactions: 1 users