Top 5 Lethal Pathologies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Put your list here!

I only have three, but basically if you get any of them you are ****ed right? It's like a death warrant.

1. Most pancreatic cancers
2. Esophageal cancer
3. Glioblastoma multiforme (grade 4 gliomas in general? [My dad said he if he got this, I should promptly take him out back and shoot him]

Anything on this list wrong or out of place so far?

Members don't see this ad.

Put your list here!

I only have three, but basically if you get any of them you are ****ed right? It's like a death warrant.

1. Most pancreatic cancers
2. Esophageal cancer
3. Glioblastoma multiforme (grade 4 gliomas in general? [My dad said he if he got this, I should promptly take him out back and shoot him]

Anything on this list wrong or out of place so far?

I may be but a mere MS1, but one of the doctors I shadowed was diagnosed with Glioblastoma multiforme and passed away within a year, so I would unfortunately have to agree.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/785543-overview

Keep in mind that "woodchuck" equals "groundhog" for the purposes of determining the need for postexposure prophylaxis. For example, if the patient says "I got bit by a woodchuck," treat this the same as if he had said "it was a big ol' groundhog that bit me."

hth

Most sarcomas typically are fatal even with surgery, chemo, and radiation.

Add any bone or liver metastases of any cancer.

Don't forget all those lovely viral induced Hemorrhagic Fevers

Then there's also Fatal Familial Insomnia. Imagine being consistently awake to the point that not even propofol could put you down. And all the while, you waste away, go crazy, and die. We sorry few who get to experience sleepless nights on call as residents could only skirt the surface of the actual toll this disease can inflict on the human body. So imagine being 6 months straight on call, and your post call period is called death.

Those are my suggestions

Small cell lung Ca is pretty fatal. As is stage 4 melanoma. Rabies untreated initially is quickly fatal.

Small cell lung Ca is pretty fatal. As is stage 4 melanoma. Rabies untreated initially is quickly fatal.

Hasn't there been only one person to survive rabies? (clinically symptomatic I should say, as in didn't get IgG and vaccine after a bite) :scared: Let's not forget Naegleri Fowleri. That's another killer with very few reported survivors

Hasn't there been only one person to survive rabies? (clinically symptomatic I should say, as in didn't get IgG and vaccine after a bite)

http://pxi.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070830/news_lz1n30nowread.html

From Peds: Pontine glioma.
But I think some of the worst are not the rapidly fatal like those above, but the slowly fatal and debilitating. Ex. Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy or the more severe SMAs. They're going to kill you right well, but they're going to slowly rob you of everything first. :(

anaplastic thyroid carcinoma victims don't do so hot either.

Recurrent neuroblastoma has a pretty poor prognosis.

Tay-Sachs disease and many of the other inborn errors of metabolism?

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with a lot of the suggestions here.
esophageal cancer stage 1? surgery -> cure
small cell carcinoma stage 1? (rare but happens) surgery -> cure
ditto early pancreatic cancer, most early sarcomas etc? don't even get me started.

I think the list (barring inborn errors of metabolism) should focus on acquired diseases that regardless of when you diagnose them (early or late stages) are really a death sentence.

1. rabies
2. Naegleria fowleri
3. anaplastic thyroid carcinoma
4. GBM

not sure how to clasify the likes of alzhiemers, parkinsons, huntingtons...death for sure, very slow painfull death but don't seem to be in the same catagory as the above since you're just as likely to die WITH them from something else.

Train vs. Pedestrian

Ed
Boston.com
The Associated Press
Ala. man dies when hit by train for second time

September 4, 2009

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. --A homeless man who survived being struck by a train two years ago has died after being hit by another train as he sat on the tracks.

Phillip Holman was hit by a train in Huntsville in 2007 while intoxicated on brandy. His right arm was ripped off and his left leg was badly broken.

Doctors at Huntsville Hospital reattached his arm and straightened his leg. He recuperated at the Downtown Rescue Mission in Huntsville. In an interview while recovering, he said he wanted to stop drinking and repair his relationship with his family in nearby Madison, "who I have let down more times than I can count."

Huntsville police said the 46-year-old Holman was sitting on the tracks Wednesday when he was struck and killed by a Norfolk Southern train.

"He could get depressed when he drank," mission chaplain Kevin Marsh said.

Holman used to do carpentry work. But Marsh had been trying to help him qualify for disability compensation due to the injuries from the first train accident and "some mental issues."

Holman got turned down for disability payments "even though he had too much wrong with him to be able to work and take care of himself," Marsh said.

"There is a man dead and I'm frustrated because there are cracks in the system," the chaplain said.

"Obviously, even if he had his disability check, he could have sat down in front of the train. Or maybe he wouldn't have been as depressed and wouldn't have done it," he said.

Train vs. Pedestrian x1-survivable?
Train vs. Pedestrian x2-it's a long shot...

The bite of this snake:
inland%20taipan.jpg

Inland Taipan is the most toxic land snake in the world, with a lethal dose estimated to be fifty times that of the Indian cobra...Taipan venom is overwhelmingly neurotoxic and thus nervous system is severely affected. Symptoms include vomiting, flaccid paralysis, and eventual respiratory paralysis.

I rather not be near a poison dart frog. Only 2 mcg needed to croak.

This is a particularly odd thread.

Does anencephaly count?

PML is pretty awful. Schizophrenia isn't too hot either.

Hi
Well,Thanks for giving such a nice information regarding Lethal Pathologies.You have create a good awareness among others regarding these topic.I like your article very much.I want to add my knowledge regarding Lethal Pathologies.You are truly knowledge giver and thanks once again for these information.

Thanks